Support

Open search

TV scheduled viewing and recording not working

Black Belt 

@Brynl wrote:

The only thing wrong with my TV is the scheduled viewing and scheduled recording doesn't work, all the other stuff is great and I love the TV. The recording feature was always going to be limited in Freesat as the TV only has one tuner, plus with catch up available on the major channels, there is not such a need to record, apart from skipping the ads on the commercial channels.  Bottom line is that I will stick with the TV, but keep nagging Samsung to fix the issue. My fondness for Samsung products has been dented and I have loads of their stuff; phones, cameras, tablet,  hard drives.... 


What is a shame is a TV that is supposed to be a premium that does not do as advertised.  Even worse is Samsung's response to this which is misinformation to try to put their own customers off from pursuing this,  and I am a bit disappointed from the response of one of the moderators here was try his best to muddy the waters,  because normally they are very good. 

Paul

Explorer
Paul, stop to be so kind to moderator, he/she is paying by Samsung, what they told about piracy is rubbish and now I just stop believing in this forum moderator
Black Belt 

@Darekt wrote:
Paul, stop to be so kind to moderator, he/she is paying by Samsung, what they told about piracy is rubbish and now I just stop believing in this forum moderator

Yes you are right,  but I have been on these forums for a couple of years and I have been at times very critical of Samsung and have never sensords me. They have been very fair,  and very professionall,  and I will always say so and I am very impressed with them.  

The reason why I say this is they allow open discussion even when it is negative to Samsung,  and that is brilliant considering it is Samsung's own forum. I may sometimes disagree with them but that is free speech.  I give them 10 out 10.

Paul

Explorer
Hi Paul
You should in 21 century be know that there is so many gadgets in markets so Samsung first is trying to tell us that is our problem. But we need to have a little brain too, I mange to have this problem gone without having help or money from Samsung. Still want to keep this TV as it have the best picture for 500 pounds.
Explorer

It's not easy for people who don't know to do. If you call reacher sound and go throw choices will finish, in first year, in Samsung "help" :-) 

Explorer
Well been in touch with John Lewis, they were very helpful & have arranged for an engineer to call, about 10mins after my call to John Lewis the company rang to say they wouldn’t be coming in the arranged date as they know about this issue with Samsung & need to get a software upgrade from them so will call back when they have it to arrange for TV to be fixed! As we all suspected Samsung are fobbing us all off!!!!
Black Belt 

@Laurus74 wrote:
Well been in touch with John Lewis, they were very helpful & have arranged for an engineer to call, about 10mins after my call to John Lewis the company rang to say they wouldn’t be coming in the arranged date as they know about this issue with Samsung & need to get a software upgrade from them so will call back when they have it to arrange for TV to be fixed! As we all suspected Samsung are fobbing us all off!!!!

Would be funny but it is not. They tell some that they have not heard of this issue,  fob others off saying it is a software problem,  and we were even told by a moderator  @CarlH        @@@that it is a copyright issue! 

I was told in 2017 by the UK CEO office it is a known fault without a fix.  It us now 2019 and still no fix,  yet when you buy the tv there is no mention of this known fault. 

Your response to the excuse that it is software issue,  is to ask for a reasonable time frame for a fix. If they can not give you one then the tv is faulty because they can not repair and it is unreasonable to wait for a fix without a timeframe.  It has been faulty since at least 2016 so I think they have had long enough. 

Do not be put off,  stand up for your consumer rights. 

What is good by admitting it is a software issue they meet one of the criterias of consumer law in respect to the fault being there when you purchased the tv and you can show it. 

Paul

Explorer

I got it working, well at least for the time being…

 

First a massive apology to Darekt who suggested the ‘Auto Tune’ fix, this option was not available under the Expert Settings on my TV with only a satellite connection.  But in desperation I tried again and found it in the Broadcasting options and it worked, i.e. I can now set-up Schedule Viewings and Recordings via both the Guide and the Scheduler and Recording manager.  But how long with it work? 😊

My exact steps were (all using the full function remote, i.e. no the smart remote):

  • Settings --> Broadcasting --> Auto Tuning
  • Now it gets strange, as I just went back to the TV to double check the sequence and what gets displayed, and the Auto Tune option is now greyed out and can’t be selected, what on earth is going on? From memory I did this:
  • Accepted the Post Code as displayed, i.e. the one I had entered weeks ago.
  • Accepted the Freesat and default LNB settings
  • Selected OK to start the scan
  • Let it progress for 5 or 10 seconds until the % complete started to go up, then press the power button on the remote, waited a few seconds then power up via the remote.
  • All the channels appeared to be present so I did some tests using the Schedule & Record manager and the Guide, setting up both Scheduled Viewings and Recordings. All worked as expected.

Also, this morning I visited the Richer Sounds shop where I bought the TV, the guy there knew there was an issue with recording on Samsung TVs and said they didn’t sell the TVs on the basis that the recording feature would work.  Which I took to mean that if a customer asked if the TV could record, they would come clean at this point and say it wasn’t a stable feature. I didn’t argue with him, but most folks these days do their research on-line to check the features of the TV, then just come in a buy it.

So, I have got it working (thanks Darket), I have no idea how this could have fixed the issue, may be something at the end of Auto Tune process, messes up the TV internal clock or the way the channel codes are accesses from within the scheduler?  Also have no idea why the Auto Tune was active on the Broadcast menu but now it is greyed out?  If it goes wrong again, how will I fix it?

Black Belt 

@Brynl wrote:

I got it working, well at least for the time being…

 

First a massive apology to Darekt who suggested the ‘Auto Tune’ fix, this option was not available under the Expert Settings on my TV with only a satellite connection.  But in desperation I tried again and found it in the Broadcasting options and it worked, i.e. I can now set-up Schedule Viewings and Recordings via both the Guide and the Scheduler and Recording manager.  But how long with it work? 😊

My exact steps were (all using the full function remote, i.e. no the smart remote):

  • Settings --> Broadcasting --> Auto Tuning
  • Now it gets strange, as I just went back to the TV to double check the sequence and what gets displayed, and the Auto Tune option is now greyed out and can’t be selected, what on earth is going on? From memory I did this:
  • Accepted the Post Code as displayed, i.e. the one I had entered weeks ago.
  • Accepted the Freesat and default LNB settings
  • Selected OK to start the scan
  • Let it progress for 5 or 10 seconds until the % complete started to go up, then press the power button on the remote, waited a few seconds then power up via the remote.
  • All the channels appeared to be present so I did some tests using the Schedule & Record manager and the Guide, setting up both Scheduled Viewings and Recordings. All worked as expected.

Also, this morning I visited the Richer Sounds shop where I bought the TV, the guy there knew there was an issue with recording on Samsung TVs and said they didn’t sell the TVs on the basis that the recording feature would work.  Which I took to mean that if a customer asked if the TV could record, they would come clean at this point and say it wasn’t a stable feature. I didn’t argue with him, but most folks these days do their research on-line to check the features of the TV, then just come in a buy it.

So, I have got it working (thanks Darket), I have no idea how this could have fixed the issue, may be something at the end of Auto Tune process, messes up the TV internal clock or the way the channel codes are accesses from within the scheduler?  Also have no idea why the Auto Tune was active on the Broadcast menu but now it is greyed out?  If it goes wrong again, how will I fix it?


Different excuses Samsung use but you can rely on Richer Sounds for the truth. Pity Samsung do not admit to this on their advertising information, and it's even worse some of their excuses and even trying to blame copyright issue.

Highlighted
Explorer
I am very happy that is working now. My is OK from 3th of December. I turned of auto upgrade so if Samsung change something then my TV will stay with old software.
My running option are grey if am not in freeview mode. Maybe that's why you will need next time do reset and then auto tuning. Best. Darek
Top Liked Authors