Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Plus

(Topic created on: 27-07-2018 09:45 PM)
poppasmurf
First Poster
Options

I've just bought a new Samsung UHD TV.  It has an annoying TV Plus app which I don't want as it's only trying to sell me something I don't want, and I cannot seem to delete.  I keeps coming back.

Anyone any ideas?  

313 REPLIES 313
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Chathura wrote:

I don't understand how Samsung is allowed to do such privacy invasion, especially in EU while the GDPR kinda regulations also keep emerging. They must be sued!

Hi @Chathura,  Users have some  control over privacy , however  you do need to check the settings.

See my thread on the new privacy regulations following GDPR   Privacy Policy on Smart Tv's

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Chathura
Journeyman
Options

"Some Control" over privacy? :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

It is funny though, because no one pays an electronics company to have just "Some Control" over their privacy when they buy a product, especially for such an expensive price. I removed TV+ channels a few times; but they still appear time to time. If samsung believe that people would tolerate this and be attracted to the products they try to sell when you push unwanted advertisements by bruteforce, they are just delusional. They do not know how many of my friends who came to the UK after me having a good impression on Samsung (because Samsung had been very popular in my country) decided not to buy a Samsung TV just because I advised them not to? I technically demonstrated this privacy violation and asked them why would they pay for that pain while many other alternative options available out there for a cheaper price. I am saying again. Samsung must be delusional to believe that bruteforce advertising would give them any benefit, especially them not being the YouTube.

Thank you

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Chathura wrote:

"Some Control" over privacy? :grinning-face-with-one-large-and-one-small-eye:

It is funny though, because no one pays an electronics company to have just "Some Control" over their privacy when they buy a product, especially for such an expensive price. I removed TV+ channels a few times; but they still appear time to time. If samsung believe that people would tolerate this and be attracted to the products they try to sell when you push unwanted advertisements by bruteforce, they are just delusional. They do not know how many of my friends who came to the UK after me having a good impression on Samsung (because Samsung had been very popular in my country) decided not to buy a Samsung TV just because I advised them not to? I technically demonstrated this privacy violation and asked them why would they pay for that pain while many other alternative options available out there for a cheaper price. I am saying again. Samsung must be delusional to believe that bruteforce advertising would give them any benefit, especially them not being the YouTube.

Thank you

There may be valid concerns, however I will point you to this aspect:

"We at Samsung care about our customer’s privacy. Because we care, we take steps ensure that all of our products and services are created using the principle of privacy by design. All the data we collect is used to make our products and services the best that they can be. In doing this we always ensure your data is protected, and only used where it is necessary for us to provide you with a service or a product. We understand the path your data follows to ensure it is safe, secure and compliant with the necessary data protection law.

We welcome the changes that have come as part of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). As a part of our GDPR preparation, we have created the Privacy Support page. This page is a platform designed to make it as easy as possible for our customers to exercise any of the six rights under the GDPR. Please click on the link below to be transferred to the Privacy Support page; all submissions on this page will be assessed by our designated Data Protection Office"

Know there are some issues with Tv Plus, pity you have not managed to completely stop channels from appearing.  Anyway this is the advice which has woked for some customers for anyone else who does not wish this service.    Source -> Live TV -> Channel List -> select TV plus -> Select all channels ->Delete.      Alternatively Reset-Reinstall whilst checking settings.  Samsung's policies may not be ideal  (though not unique in this regard) and won't please everyone but there is some relevant advice on this thread.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Thermology
Journeyman
Options

The Shpeel that these Samsung staff are writing in reply to your messages compelled me to come back here and continue the fight. On the last post the advisor stated that there is an issue with this annoying app. What a lie. Just like Facebook, Apple, Microsoft, YouTube and pretty much most major corporations are moving towards minimal user control, forced advertising and severe misuse of our private information. Unfortunately technology we use technology in our personal lives almost throughout every day. We are completely dependant so they can do things like this knowing we will still have to buy their products. For now we can jump ***** to LG and Sony and Panasonic but they will eventually so the exact same. That said I'm skipping Samsung Tv's for one generation. Getting a OnePlus phone and an LG or Sony TV. Say goodbye to 5 years of my money Samsung!

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I would just point that I do not have a connection with Samsung (I am basically a volunteer), though some Samsung staff have responded in this thread.   I may have my own opinions but always try to be objective, as possibble and realise there are concerns (had products from  different companies)   Of course it is up to each customer how they view Samsung and other companies.

0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

I just hit reply so not directed at you.

The TV+ Channels were not an issue for me to remove at all. I made a video I posted instructions in this thread and they can be deleted. 

Another way to stop the T.V. going on to TV plus everytime you switch on, is to check the setting that says something  along the lines of "always open on the last used application " then once the TV boots up it will start where you left it.

The TV won't just have privacy wrote into the agreement, your Samsung forum account no doubt says something, not just Samsung but every big corporation will want some kind of information off you so they can market/advertise with a bit more accurate info. You can lie, you don't need to fill in all the boxes with accurate information everytime.

I find Apple to be up their with the big offenders. 

Facebook another level!! I did the best thing ever over 6 years ago and deleted my account. Never looked back.

If people are so bothered about what information a company has on them well then ask (you can download a generic letter to use). They have to supply it. (Well in the UK they do)

See if it actually matters what information they hold (gender, age, viewing habits, location history, holidays, shopping bought, online viewing habits)

If this all matters get it all removed create a false online ID. Consistently use a VPN through tor. Plus a few other encryption routines.

What I am saying is does it matter you get a little advert you can ignore and skip and not have to press? one last thing. Don't use the internet for anything get an old gsm phone for an emergency and carry on. The world will keep turning

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Madasahat Certainly good points and there are work arounds which help to varying degrees.  Personally I have not had an issue, though realise not all in same boat.    Whether we like it or not  convenience does not  come without some drawbacks.   Not everyone is prepared to meet the cost/make the effort for encryption though for whatever reason.

tranx
Pioneer
Options

PS

In the first setup menus

- you can choose Terrestrial or Satellite channels, instead of TVPlus, to appear in the bar for recommendations

Chris19731
Journeyman
Options

You cannot get rid of it — ALWAYS comes back 

I have deleted the app disabled anynet 

delete the channels by editing channel list 

it ALWAYS comes back eventually- 

kids turn on tv - channel 4000 , movie trailers unsuitable for kids !!! 

I have ue65 inch 

it’s actually UNFIT for use. 

SHAME ON YOU SAMSUNG 

Chris19731
Journeyman
Options
Deleting the channels in the channel list does not work !!
Channel 4000 comes back even though it is NOT in the channel list !!