Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Soundbar no longer turns on with tv

(Topic created on: 20-02-2019 05:10 PM)
Medders
Explorer
Options

Hi, I have a samsung K series tv - bought in 2017 and a Samsung hw-j355 bought at the same time. Up until recently the sound connect has been working flawlessly but it has now stopped turning on the the sound bar. Once on it connects and it responds to the tv remote with no problems.  Why would it have stopped working?? I’ve tried removing it from the tv and re-pairing it. I’ve tried a factory reset on the tv but it hasn’t worked. I’m kind of out of ideas! Any suggestions would be welcome!

284 REPLIES 284
Sound1
Explorer
Options

I’m in the US. My sw version is 1231, and not 1231.1.

Since I bought the TV and Soundbar (both Samsung) at Costco, I reported this lengthy list of people with this issue to them, and suggested that they insist that Samsung fixes this problem. They are Samsung’s largest distributor, so I hopeful that something will get done.

ak12
Apprentice
Options

adding myself to the list. i have one observation . it started happening to me soon after leaving my cable provider and moving to watch only netflix. not sure if this is related.  im from israel and i dont see a point in contacting samsung israel. it is amazing to see a thread in their global website going on for months with no response from them, saying they are at least looking for a fix. definately my last samsung purchase...

0 Likes
gabev44
First Poster
Options

Same issue here, TV model KU6500 with version 1231. Sound bar is a K450. Never had an issue until recently. Sometimes the sound bar will power on with the TV but only after turning OFF the TV then powering it back on. 

0 Likes
DrShrinker
First Poster
Options

Disconnecting then reconnecting the soundbar seems to have worked for me, too. Did it yesterday and the soundbar turned on today with the TV. Fingers crossed it keeps working...

0 Likes
Sound1
Explorer
Options
Disconnecting from electric source?
0 Likes
brianfaa
First Poster
Options

@DrShrinker wrote:

Disconnecting then reconnecting the soundbar seems to have worked for me, too. Did it yesterday and the soundbar turned on today with the TV. Fingers crossed it keeps working...

That’s great! Unfortunately, it was short-lived for me.  When I went away for a day and turned on the tv after it was off for a day and a half, the sound bar didn’t come on.  It’s back to its new usual self of not coming on after being off overnight.  Not sure why.

0 Likes
brianfaa
First Poster
Options
No... going to the settings on the tv and asking it to disconnect ( or uninstall) the sound bar.... then reinstalling it. Seems to have had limited short-term success.
0 Likes
DrShrinker
First Poster
Options

@DrShrinker wrote:

And then it didn't. Back to square one.

0 Likes
mwoolbright
First Poster
Options

I have also been battling this problem for the past couple months. I have already tried removing and re-pairing the soundbar and all of the other suggestions. Until I found this thread tonight I thought it was the only one having this problem. 

0 Likes
Sound1
Explorer
Options

You are not the only one.  If a hundred people post this problem  on this obscure website, there must be thousands with the same issue.  I believe it falls under the area of "standby mode", which is what appears to be not working.  I've spoken with Samsung's help desk regarding this on several occasions and on the last they offered to fix it for me gratis, but I would have to ship the thing to them at my expense.  I contend that it is a systemic problem, and should be addressed on a broader basis, and completely at Samsung's expense.

I encourage everyone experiencing this problem to contact Samsung and insist that they issue a recall, or a replacement.  This was not an inexpensive item, and should last more than a year or so.