Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small White Circles on TV screen

(Topic created on: 03-08-2018 02:04 AM)
Ogben812
Pioneer
Options

By small I mean a 20mm dia small white circles in a grid pattern are visble on the display, Its particularly bad on plain backrounds but evident all the time. Photos don't show it very well but I have attached one to try and help. You have to look carefully - its more obvious than this when watching. The TV model is UE50KU6000K and it just over two years old. We have four Samsung TV's in the house - I hope this isn't going to be a trend!

circles.jpg

275 REPLIES 275
Ppg1976
Journeyman
Options

That’s exactly what I’ve got wrong with my screen . Same ghost circling same pattern .  What has Samsung said causes this . 

0 Likes
Ben39
First Poster
Options

A technician is coming this afternoon to replace the panel. All they needed was the pictures provided here to see the fault. I'm an electronics tech, but the first rule of tech work is to establish whose fault it is to fix. Not mine in this case. I find tact and diplomacy and a gently, gently approach work for me. That and an encyclopedic knowledge of applicable consumer Law. The fault appears to me to be a circular reflector behind the led backlighting, detaching from the panel. I will keep the site updated...

0 Likes
Ben39
First Poster
Options

The technician has just left. To his credit he arrived on time, with a new panel (basically most of the TV is the panel) installed it in 15 minutes flat. Looks just like a new one. Previously the old panel was dirty looking, as seen in the photos. There's something to be said for manners, tact & diplomacy here. Sometimes companies need to be showed up online for their faults, but Samsung have nothing to gain once customers have already trashed them on every online platform. Gently, gently fellas, and know your consumer Law. That helps...

0 Likes
Stueyb
Pioneer
Options

I think mine was next level damage as the top half was dark every now and again. 

Well done though but they were adamant they wouldn't put any money towards mine 

0 Likes
sianjoyce
Student
Options

Hi 

mate you based in the UK. Can I ask who you contacted and what part of consumer law I should be using (I’m not that hot on consumer law so wouldn’t know what to say!) any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Sian

0 Likes
Ppg1976
Journeyman
Options

Hi . What department did you contact and what consumer law did you use . Are you uk based . Many thanks 

0 Likes
Ogben812
Pioneer
Options

You got lucky.

I got a straight bat reply, outside of warranty, sorry, we will repair but at your cost.

0 Likes
Ruth-mac
Apprentice
Options

No luck they got me doing picture test. Have now said Thanks for letting us know, at this stage we would recommend getting in touch with your nearest Support Centre so an engineer's inspection can be arranged for you. Please note, as you have exceeded the warranty, repair charges will apply.
Legally, The Sale of Goods Act does refer to the retailer in this case. You can contact your retailer to discuss this further and Curry’s have said I’ve had it two and a half years it’s nothing to do with them. I’ve been on you tube it’s easy enough to fix but taking low and lots of screws out and glueing round glass lamps back on the lamps. Going to see if I can find a tv repair man in Wrexham 🤨

0 Likes
Stueyb
Pioneer
Options
Yip, appears 99.9 percent of people will get this response. I phoned my local center and they said it would need a full screen replacement at my cost and would be cheaper buying a new TV.
0 Likes
Ben39
First Poster
Options

Australia based. There is a new clause in applicable Australian Consumer Law that allows a "reasonable expectation" that goods will be durable. Read here, hope this helps: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-06-07/broken-but-out-of-warranty-you-still-have-rights/2749924

That and I'm an Electronics technician by trade, so they have a hard time arguing technical points with me...

I could have fixed that myself, taken the panel out and re-glued the diffusers around the LED backlighting.

"Next level" fault is not a thing. It's either a fault or it's not, it's electronics, logic, there's no room for opinion when fault finding to component level. It's faulty or it's not, very binary. I would suggest maybe, that your LED strips are wired either in series and one LED has failed, or in parallel and a ribbon cable connection or driver board has failed. Easy to fix.

From the article: "In layman's terms, that means a consumer can expect a longer legal guarantee to apply for goods that generally last a long time, that are relatively expensive, and where any claims are made about the quality and/or durability of the product by either the salesperson or manufacturer.

For example, if consumers generally buy a television with a reasonable expectation for it to last five years, then they may have a statutory guarantee against the retailer that lasts substantially longer than the one year manufacturer's warranty.

If the TV is a more expensive brand, especially one that makes claims about its quality and durability, it will be held to a higher standard of quality and durability under the ACL than a home brand that is half the price and does not make similar claims."

0 Likes