Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV stopped connecting to internet (wifi and Ethernet)

(Topic created on: 17-07-2018 12:09 AM)
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
150DotAve
Apprentice
Options

I've tried many different "fixes" to try and resolve the problem. Came across a trhead that suggested holding down the power button on the remote unit the TV reboots. Tried it and it worked. TV has been connected since without issue.

View solution in context

Solution
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I was back at my parents house today, still stuck with the same situation 3 years later, and decided to search the Internet for a solution. So I found this interesting topic (realised I had created it back in 2018!!) and here is the solution that finally worked, after half a day of trial and error.

1) Unplugged the TV for a few minutes just to be sure.

2) In the Internet configuration menu, selected my Wi-Fi network and enter password. At this stage, the TV won't connect and will prompt me to change Network or IP Settings.

3) In IP Settings: Select manual configuration for IP and DNS. For this part, I entered the same info as on my Samsung Android smartphone which was connected to the same wireless network. To access this information on the smartphone:

- In the Wi-Fi settings, select the active network -> Manage Network settings -> Show advanced Options -> IP Settings -> change to "Static" (this will show network details)

- Write down all information, then disconnect the phone from the network

4) Go back to the Smart TV, Enter copied information in the Network settings, with subnet mask as standard 255.255.255.0.

5) Click OK.

Today, this finally worked for me and the Hub was up and running when I left. Hopefully, this is the end of a long and frustrating story.

Thank you to all the people who contributed to these 54 pages of precious information which has helped me and many others with similar issues.

All the best.

-

View solution in context

592 REPLIES 592
7alhoul
Navigator
Options

Hi,

you can test to electrically disconnect your TV for 2 min but if it does not work you can reset the internet box.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

HI @Bobik  the latest firmware for this model is 2126  https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE50F6500SBXXU/  same for all sizes.  If not the version you have should download to USB  and update that way.   Know you have tried quite a few things, have you also done a smart Hub Reset in addition to factory reset?  

Obviously an idea to  disconnect and reset Internet Box as @7alhoul suggests.    If all else fails think you would need to get in touch with Samsung.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Mazaz
Apprentice
Options

Hi there, 

I have the same problem (I have to do a network reset ... and re-enter password) every time). It's less annoying that way than resetting the whole TV. 

I'm currently in discussion with Samsung because its insanely annoying and the TV is not old at all. I'll let you know how I get on. 

This is really unacceptable, isn't it? 

Bobik
Apprentice
Options

HI 7alhoul and James,

Thank you for your replies. I will try disconnecting the tv for a few minutes and see if that works and also check the firmware version. I have already tried reseting the Internet box and Wi-Fi, but it didn't work :(. I have already tried the smart hub reset also. 

I think that the solution might be to completely erase all previous information about Network connections on the TV. Is there a way to do this? (Even the factory reset specifies it doesn't remove Network connections...). 

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You can reset Network Settings alone  via Tv settings   (takes them to factory reset)

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Mazaz
Apprentice
Options

@Bobik wrote:

HI 7alhoul and James,

Thank you for your replies. I will try disconnecting the tv for a few minutes and see if that works and also check the firmware version. I have already tried reseting the Internet box and Wi-Fi, but it didn't work :(. I have already tried the smart hub reset also. 

I think that the solution might be to completely erase all previous information about Network connections on the TV. Is there a way to do this? (Even the factory reset specifies it doesn't remove Network connections...). 

I have got around this issue by turning off the TV at the wall switch and then back on again before turning it on with the remote. If I do that, it has no problems connecting to wifi, ethernet or hotspot (yes I even did my experiment with phone data). 

After around 7 to 10 minutes of being off (via the remote) the TV is unable to find the saved network. If the TV is off for less time than this, no probs, network found. 

I'd much rather turn off the power switch for  second before turning the TV on. Doing a TV reset every time is insane and doing a network reset every time is also crazy (well for me!). 

Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hi all,

Thank you for your help, however, the problem is not solved. I have tried all suggestions above. Unplugging the TV from the wall, factory resetting everything on the TV and the router. The issue is always the same : cannot connect to network (via wifi and Ethernet).

As the tv connects fine through my 4G connection (wifi), I highly suspect the problem comes either from the fact that somehow, the Mac adress of my TV is blocked by the ISP, or the router is directly blocking the connection. However, I've dissabled all firewalls, tried connecting to the wifi without any security but the TV still won't connect to that router!

All other phones and computers work fine on the same router...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

narutobong
Apprentice
Options

Hi bobik & all,

i'm following bobik's case as it seems i have the same case with my 2-smart TVs. my son experience it yesterday on his 40" model and when i checked with my 50" model today, it does have the same issue. I thought it was a Netflix issue or my internet provider issue but my pcs and mobilephones works fine with netflix by wifi connection. Even youtube is not working as well on the TV. So it brings me back to my TVs internet connection. Please help us

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Bobik wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Have you reported it to your retailers , if not do it straight away. If your Internet works ok on another device then its a problem with the TV. If it worked ok one day and then stops,  that says to me it is a fault with the TV. If it is less than 4 weeks I would suggest asking for a replacement as it should work perfectly without having to jump through hoops. If over 4 weeks ask for an engineer to fix it so it works as advertised. 

Paul.