Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV stopped connecting to internet (wifi and Ethernet)

(Topic created on: 18-03-2019 05:52 PM)
Bobik
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I am trying to fix my parents Samsung TV F6500 which has stopped connecting to Internet since a few weeks. Here is my diagnosis: The TV won't connect to Internet using wifi or Ethernet throught their usual provider. When I use my 4G phone as an access point, the TV connects normally.

These are the solutions I have already tried and that didn't work:

- Reseting the ISP's router + changing it's IP adress

- Factory reset of the Samsung TV (using the Auto-diag menu and the secret menu that you access pressing different buttons on the remote)

- Changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4.

- Updating the firmware

- Calling the ISP's hotline

'

My questions are :

- Is it possible to do a factory reset that includes the Network connections?

- Has anybody had the exact same issue as my parents?

- Even after the factory reset, the TV continues to say that the firmware is up to date, is it possible to remove the updated firmware?

I am out of options and the Smart Hub is now useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

592 REPLIES 592
truant70
First Poster
Options

I have a UE40F6400 that has recently stopped live streaming from BBC iPlayer, but I can still watch on demand. So I had internet but it wasn't great.

After all the usual resets on the TV, router, DNS etc, I went to the trouble of buying a long ethernet cable to do some testing and it is quite interesting. I have a fast fibre service, and when I plug the cable into my laptop I get around 600 Mbps up and down from the ethernet cable, but when the same cable is plugged into the back of my TV it's closer to 12 Mbps, significantly slower. (all checked via the browser + speedtest.net on each device),  I've tried everything again, including logging into my TV with a Samsung account. No improvement.

The only event I can think of that triggered this problem was a few days ago I left the TV going with it live streaming, and it entered auto shutdown. Ever since then I've been unable to get decent enough speeds through the TV hardware to get it to livestream certain apps.

It is possible there is a cache that is full, and factory reset doesn't empty it?

My TV is well past it's warranty so I am not going to put myself of the pain of calling Samsung about it, but also after reading other people's experiences along these lines I'm probably going to steer clear of a Samsung TV next purchase, which is probably soon.

I hope my feedback helps others.

0 Likes
Erikbro09
Apprentice
Options

This happened to me just now and found the solution!!!! I have a 75" 2017 Samung Qled . You simply have to hold the power button on your remote till the tv reboots. This resets the network settings and allows you to choose your wifi ! Hope this helps!

truant70
First Poster
Options

Thank for your reply but firstly, holding that power button did nothing except rebooted the TV without changing the network settings. Secondly, I am using the wired connection which I have tested is getting over 600Mbps in and out, but the TV itself is throttling the speed and preventing some live streaming when using a good *wired* connection, and also wireless.

0 Likes
wolfpack_lamb
First Poster
Options

My Samsung UNKS8000 just stopped connecting to apps today.  I have tried resetting the TV, resetting the modem, updating the TV, and using a wired connection and I get nowhere.  I can connect to services just fine on my firestick, computer, and phone but would like the TV to work as advertised.  I even tried setting the DNC to both 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 without any luck.  Any other suggestions out there?  When I test the smarthub I get a 202 error that ISP services are being blocked but I can't figure out why that would be, it worked just fine last night.

0 Likes
TKlondon1
Apprentice
Options
Hi.
It's not a fix but you can try and create a hotspot on your phone and see if your tv connects.
Many have said this works and there for indicates the tv can work with some devices.
In my case a TP link router connects but my bt home hub 5 and a second Asus router do not. I could get a cheap tp link access point and add it my my network, but decided to add a firestick to the Samsung and buy a new Sony tv instead. We are no longer a Samsung house
wolfpack_lamb
First Poster
Options

@TKlondon1 wrote:
Hi.
It's not a fix but you can try and create a hotspot on your phone and see if your tv connects.
Many have said this works and there for indicates the tv can work with some devices.
In my case a TP link router connects but my bt home hub 5 and a second Asus router do not. I could get a cheap tp link access point and add it my my network, but decided to add a firestick to the Samsung and buy a new Sony tv instead. We are no longer a Samsung house

I thought about doing this as a test but then I tried the apps again and suddenly it is working.  Haven't changed a thing in 2.5 years so maybe this was a Samsung server issue.

0 Likes
Erikbro09
Apprentice
Options

Hmmm then it must be the DNS. I found this on another forum. Hope it helps  ! 

"I solved the problem by finding the DNS associated with my home network. In my case I have Windows 10 on my computer and in Settings I went to Network & Internet. Clicking on my network I found the DNS (not 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or any of those commonly listed). I plugged this DNS into the Samsung Smart TV settings for ethernet and behold it has worked perfectly ever since"

0 Likes
Hamudi17
Student
Options

My Samsung smart TV works sometimes and other times it doesn't, so after reading most of your messages and trying everything with the Internet, the best solution is to sell TV Samsung and purchase another brand

Djb52349
First Poster
Options

Had this problem before and always fixed it with reset to modem and tv.  Not frequent so not a big problem.  But now it connects to the modem but no internet.  It is my last Samsung product for certain.  TV is only a little over a year old.  This should not be an issue.

0 Likes
wlambert
First Poster
Options

I got my Samsung TV about 8 months ago.  At the time, my cable provider was RCN.  About 95% of the time I watch YouTube on my TV.  I connect to the Internet via a wireless router.

On Friday I switched to Service Electric as my cable provider.  By Sunday I had the same issue that many have mentioned here.  I could no longer attach to my wireless router.  My TV could see several wireless networks, but when I tried to attach to my router it would say that I entered the wrong password even though I had entered the correct password.

I decided to start trouble shooting by updating my firmware via USB thumbdrive.  I decided to unplug my TV for 20 minutes since that was one of the things mentioned here.  When I plugged the set back in, I was able to power up and connect to my router without a problem.  I watched some YouTube and then turned the set off.  Later, it occurred to me that while I was connected to the Internet I should update my firmware.

I turned the set on and attempted to update my firmware.  I got a message saying that I was not connected to the Internet.  When I checked the network it showed that I was connected to my router, but not to the Internet.  I remembered the DNS thing and set DNS to manual and 8.8.8.8..  Now everything is fine and my firmware said that it is at the latest level and YouTube is fine.  But, of course, I have no idea what I will find next time I turn the set on.

I don't remember any one else mentioning the cable provider.  Is it possible that Samsung TV's have a compatibility issue with some cable providers and not others?  Or could it be an issue with certain router/modems?  It seems odd that my problems started the same weekend that I changed cable providers and router/modems.

0 Likes