Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung Smart TV says Youtube will no longer be availabe fron 30Th June. WHY?

(Topic created on: 01-07-2017 05:20 AM)
lofty29
Apprentice
Options

Samsung Smart TV says Youtube will no longer be availabe fron 30Th June. WHY?

210 REPLIES 210
Oopsnosamsung
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

I am in same boat and found this today!! Disgusted!!

Done some research and found few options as workaround:

1. Use TV Cast app - download this on your TV and smartphone to cast youtube video (basically any video from your mobile browser) - FREE

2. Chrome cast or android tv  - costs a fortune

hope this helps someone

Edit - added info from YouTube - https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7379403?hl=en-GB

ta

Lurkalot
First Poster
Options

It's due to the switch from old Flash technology to HTML5, which has been happening for years. Many/ most multimedia web pages in the universe now use HTML5 instead of Flash, and Flash based ads. and movies for example are often disabled by default in web browsers because it's buggy, the player is prone to hacking or pwning and the technology is past its best.  Downgrading a smart TV again to play Flash is like trying to force a web browser to go backwards to support a legacy technology that is long past its sell-by date.  Annoying as it is, it's a fact of life and Samsung can't be blamed.

0 Likes
JOYLYN
Student
Options

I have a 2014 Samsung smart tv and YouTube app is home groom this as well.  Can i get an explanation? 

0 Likes
IAJ
Apprentice
Options

Unless SAMSUNG decides to provide previous owners of televisions an upgrade fee rather than an all out purchase of a teli. I will never be socialized into purchasing a television every two to five years. My grandparents had a television in their living room that lasted twenty years.  

Clee3
Student
Options

Great info. Not to  sell you on any other devices but you might also try apple television or if you have a PlayStation use it to access YouTube.

Samsung's name is MUD in my book at this point 😖

SubhashB
Journeyman
Options

The argument by LURKALOT in favour of Samsung is convincing. However, I'm sure Samsung could have seen this coming and created a new app, with some sort of an interface between Flash and HTML5, to accommodate customers of older TVs.  

Today I noticed that even the app icon has disappeared from the "SMART" page.  The only silver lining is that now one will have to go to the YouTube website using the browser. I've tried it and it works fine, EXCEPT for the fact that most sites can't be made 'full screen'. However, 'Theater Mode' is the next best.

Lastly, I'd like to know if older smart TVs from other brands, are also facing similar problems.

0 Likes
SubhashB
Journeyman
Options
The argument by LURKALOT in favour of Samsung is convincing. However, I'm sure Samsung could have seen this coming and created a new app, with some sort of an interface between Flash and HTML5, to accommodate customers of older TVs.

Today I noticed that even the app icon has disappeared from the "SMART" page. The only silver lining is that now one can still access YouTube using the web browser. I've tried it and it works fine, EXCEPT for the fact that most sites can't be made 'full screen'. However, 'Theater Mode' is the next best.

Lastly, I'd like to know if older smart TVs from other brands are also facing similar problems.
0 Likes
hasanur
First Poster
Options

@KellyM wrote:

Hi all, we've had a look into this for you.

The YouTube app will no longer be supported on 2011 and 2012 Smart TVs from the 30th of June 2017. The app provider will be performing an update to the application, which means that the TV will no longer be compatible with the service.  

0 Likes
Khurram
Student
Options

As of 1st July, the youtube app has been disappeared from smart hub. 

This is absolute rip off, i have 55 inch 3d smart tv bought in 2013, it wasnt a cheap buy. How come a support to older models is started to diminshi g, and mind you we are not talking about 10 year old model.

There is no solution as of now unlike few friends haved posted here.

Extremely cheap sales tactics by samsung.very disappointed. 

kpretzel
Journeyman
Options

Samsung should have also updated to remain compatible!

0 Likes