Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung HW-N950 Sound Cutting Out Using ARC

(Topic created on: 27-03-2019 05:58 PM)
Turok117
First Poster
Options

Hey Everyone,

First time poster here, looking for some help. About a week ago I purchased a new LG OLED65B8 TV and a Samsung HW-N950 soundbar to go along with it. I have the soundbar connected to the TV using the ARC connection (via Rocketfish 18Gbps HDMI cable) and then have a 4K disc player connected directly to the soundbar as well. I have played 3 UHD discs so far, all with Dolby Atmos, with no issues. However, when I try and play any Dolby Atmos streaming content using the native TV apps, the sound cuts in and out horribly. The soundbar is recognizing it as Dolby Atmos content, based on the soundbar display. I tried three different shows/movies on Netflix and one show on Prime Video, all with the same result. When I play any non-Dolby Atmos content on either app the sound plays with no issues.

Another note is that I tried playing Punisher Season 1 just a couple days after I set everything up and it played fine, and I believe it is Dolby Atmos. In between then and when I tried it again with the resulting sound issue, I downloaded the Samsung SmartThings app and I think it automatically updated the firmware on the bar so I am wondering if that is possibly the root cause of my issue. 

One additional item I noted during my troubleshooting. Within the LG TV sound output setting for ARC I can change between the AUTO or PCM. When it is on AUTO the sound issue is present but the soundbar recognizes it as Dolby Atmos and when it is on PCM the sound is fine but the soundbar doesn't recognize it as Dolby Atmos.

Anyway any help/suggestions or even someone else having the same issue so I know I'm not crazy would be appreciated. 

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Docserge
First Poster
Options

In my case I have a LG 65SK8500 and a Samsung K950 connected via ARC. When I use the internal speaker of the TV and use the Netflix TV app, it recognizes a movie or series as Dolby Atmos content, but when I switch to ARC to use the soundbar it doesn't and the Dolby Atmos led don't apperain the bar.

Any solutions to this problem?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Docserge wrote:

In my case I have a LG 65SK8500 and a Samsung K950 connected via ARC. When I use the internal speaker of the TV and use the Netflix TV app, it recognizes a movie or series as Dolby Atmos content, but when I switch to ARC to use the soundbar it doesn't and the Dolby Atmos led don't apperain the bar.

Any solutions to this problem?

Ihave a lgc8 connected to a Denon system. When I pass through Netflix atmos  it shows on the Denon as a atmos signal. Have you set the sound out to bitstream? 

0 Likes
LT84
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem with the sound cutting in and out with Netflix.  Did Samsung ever provide you with a solution?

0 Likes
RedOog1
Student
Options

I have the same issue with my Samsung Soundbar HW-N950/XU. When it works it's absolutely awesome. I changed from a full 7.1 ch Sony wired speaker system with very high-quality speakers as I didn't want all the cables. I was really impressed but have had a lot of problems. I have a Panasonic Viera TV TX-50CX680B which is Viera Link. Anynet+ supposed to connect fine. I changed my media player to a Panasonic UHD Blu-ray disk player which has net streaming and UHD / 4k and HD sound. Works fine most of the time and then starts cutting out during play of disks, amazon prime video (from Blu-ray player) or from Amazon Prime UHD from TV). Have connected via 8k upgraded HDMI cables including Arc to Arc on Soundbar / TV and then Blu-ray to HDMI input 1.

A soundbar is running the latest firmware. Have set bitstream settings on HDMI and taken off any other signal processing to reduce conflict. If it's not sorted soon, I'll send back. It was £1,000 so expect it to work out of the box.

0 Likes
r092598
First Poster
Options

hi i am having the same issues, did you get to solve the problem?

cheers

0 Likes
Docserge
First Poster
Options

Home do I set bitstream in the TV?, because its not an option to do It on the soundbar.

0 Likes
Docserge
First Poster
Options
No, sorry.
0 Likes
RedOog1
Student
Options

I got a service request and they replaced the main circuit card (PCB). I got it home and it immediately sounded better. Unfortunately HDMI2 stopped working. I've replaced the cables becausenofni wiggled it, it started to work. Anyway it's back to being useless, cutting out and losing ARC coñection. I'm calling Samsung again to get repaired or replaced. Not happy with it at all. I've stuck with it for six months and family fed up with it.

0 Likes
RedOog1
Student
Options
Had to set it in UHD Blu-ray player. No option in the TV.
0 Likes