Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

SOLVED Samsung smart TV HDCP protection

(Topic created on: 22-02-2019 03:08 PM)
ArthurCoucke
Apprentice
Options

On 28/03/2015  I bought an Samsung UHD TV (UE55HU8500LXXN).
We recieve digital television through a set-top box from our provider Telenet. 

The set-top box has a HD Copy protection. Suddenly the box gave an error message that the licence wasn't received. 

We've tried another box and hdmi cable. But the problem comes from the One Connect box. 

A new One Connect box of the same type is sold seperate for €422,25. While simular TVs are sold now for €899.

We've originally bought the tv for €2 700. 

So I have 2 questions:

1. Is the BN91-17814H (€110) one connect box compatible with this tv? (instead of the bn94-07655u €422,25!)

I've tried calling to the Samsung helpdesk but they had no idea what I was talking about. And even said that this model has no one connect box. (impossible because there are no ports on the tv)

2. Am I the only one with this problem. I can't be normal to throw away a 4-5 year old working smart tv because the handshake HDCP license isn't working anymore. 

The solution of last resort is to connect the set-top box through a scart-hdmi converter. But what is then the point of having a smart TV with HDMI? I really think Samsung should offer a solution for this. This can't been seen as a normal situation... 

With kind regards

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ArthurCoucke
Apprentice
Options

After a long search I found a HDMI splitter that strips the HDCP. 
Finding one is a bit difficult because most recent splitter don't strip the protection (actually the previous splitter strips it by accident).

This is the one I've bought "ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter for 1080P & 3D | Model: VHD-1X2MN3D".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks to this splitter I didn't have to throw away my 4 year old smart TV of which only the one connect box hdcp license failed. To close this subject I want to add that in my opinion Samsung should provided a solution, which they haven't done.

HDCPSplitter.PNG

View solution in context

12 REPLIES 12
Solution
ArthurCoucke
Apprentice
Options

After a long search I found a HDMI splitter that strips the HDCP. 
Finding one is a bit difficult because most recent splitter don't strip the protection (actually the previous splitter strips it by accident).

This is the one I've bought "ViewHD 2 Port 1x2 Powered HDMI Mini Splitter for 1080P & 3D | Model: VHD-1X2MN3D".
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks to this splitter I didn't have to throw away my 4 year old smart TV of which only the one connect box hdcp license failed. To close this subject I want to add that in my opinion Samsung should provided a solution, which they haven't done.

HDCPSplitter.PNG

Jazbuster
Student
Options

Use HDMI 4, I had same problem. That's the only HDMI that uses the HDCP 2.2 Handshake system.

Newmountain
First Poster
Options

HDMI 4 worked for me, too (streaming Disney+ via Chromecast Ultra). Other HDMI ports resulted in the HDCP DRM error. Thanks!

0 Likes
Michael-Av8R
First Poster
Options

I did this also - but I'm having a problem with the TV not "seeing" the HDMI signal.  It acts as if the HDMI is unplugged looking for a "source" ... very frustrating.  Samsung said just get a 2.2 cable.  If it were only that easy. Very frustrating.  There should be a way to disable this stupid system if it's preventing legitimate viewing!

0 Likes
rdhir001
First Poster
Options

@Jazbuster - thanks - Roku Ultra’s Channel CNN, etc. timing out to Roku’s Homepage solved by using Samsung’s Q90T / 2020 HDMI Port 4 with HDCP 2.2.

Where did you find this hidden information?

Thanks!

0 Likes
rdhir001
First Poster
Options

Thanks - Roku Ultra’s Channel CNN, etc. timing out to Roku’s Homepage solved by using Samsung’s Q90T / 2020 HDMI Port 4 with HDCP 2.2.

Where did you find this hidden information?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Jazbuster
Student
Options
@rdhir001 - I can't remember exactly, although it was done by searching for several hours through Google.
0 Likes
Clubber1
First Poster
Options

Do you know if there an equivalent in the uk as I tried to see if I could get this on the Amazon in the uk and if I couldn’t find it ?

0 Likes
Members_Km6gPg6
First Poster
Options

Hi, were you ever able to solve this issue? I just got a Samsung TV in the UK and I have the same problem.

0 Likes