Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recording onto HD

(Topic created on: 08-12-2018 12:31 AM)
benjak
First Poster
Options

Hi - I want to be able to record programmes from my TV but not to have to buy a set top box at the moment. Am I able to record straight to a hard disk and if so

A) what type of HD do I use

B)how do I format it to be compatible with the TV

C) Will the TV record and save the programmes in order and show some form of title/description as you get on a set top box.

How can I do this without as I said using a set top box at this point of time. Any help appreciated

0 Likes
22 REPLIES 22
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

OK I have seen people now try to blame the problem on the USB drives, but I beg to differ, and the reason why is I have 2 Samsung TV's, the one with the issue is a new UE65KS9500 and I have a UE32J6300AK in the spare room which records as advertised with no probs. This has given me the opportunity to test and check the Seagate 1 Ter USB, a Toshiba 1 Ter USB, a 64 Gig USB Stick, and a Seagate 2 Ter in a USB enclosure mains powered. All are recognised by both TV's, and all work perfectly with the older 32 inch Samsung TV, both when on and in Standby. So if the USB drives work perfectly in the older Samsung TV, I find it hard to blame them for the issue, and can only see it being an issue with the TV. Also when I have spoken to Samsung  they make no mention of any USB issue. I did read about factory reset and auto tuning off which worked a week, and had a new main board fitted which worked for 2 weeks, but does not work now. I have had plenty of time testing these USB drives and they work perfectly.

Just to mention again how bad Samsung support is because I was promised a call back on Sunday and now Friday still waiting.

Paul

Jamesnicklin
First Poster
Options

0 Likes
Jamesnicklin
First Poster
Options

0 Likes
Leonsc
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I have a UE40MU6120K - my samsung hdd doesnt work for recording (but does for playback) - does anyone have any recommendations as to what will work? Maybe SSD? The error message was that the disk wasn't fast enough..

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks!

0 Likes
lat002
Journeyman
Options

Hi Leonsc,

Have a look at the post from AntS (who is a Moderator) earlier in this thread (on 12/12/2016) where he spells out Samsung recommendations: "We'd always recommend an externally powered HDD, with a minimum 32GB memory and 5400RPM spin speed. If you're using a self-powered drive (one that gets the power from the USB connection to the TV), then we'd recommend using the USB cable supplied as longer USB cables (and extensions) can impair the performance"

I used a Freecom Desktop Drive Sq (1tb) Hard Drive, USB 3.0 for my UE40KU6400 TV and it works fine for both recording and playback.

You've probably seen the miriad problems people have had in getting their TV to record to a hard disk and they're often not the fault of the actual hard disk so it would beuseful if you described what the hard disk is that you've tried to use.

Regards

0 Likes
Lucy__t
First Poster
Options

Sorry to hijack the thread! We too are having problems. We've followed the procedures from the e manual. We are not even given the option to record.. We go into love tv, then select guide as instructed, no options come up.

We are using a USB  stick, could it be that the option does not come up because of this, surely not? 

Many thanks 

0 Likes
Lucy__t
First Poster
Options

Our t.v. model is UE49NU7100

0 Likes
Lucy__t
First Poster
Options

Our model is UE49NU7100

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Lucy__t wrote:

Sorry to hijack the thread! We too are having problems. We've followed the procedures from the e manual. We are not even given the option to record.. We go into love tv, then select guide as instructed, no options come up.

We are using a USB  stick, could it be that the option does not come up because of this, surely not? 

Many thanks 

I have the 75 Q900 8K TV and this has now stopped recording. It shows it has recorded but will not play so the file is unplayable. I have had a ks9500,  a q9f which both would not record. The other TV s went back due to this and now there top of the range us going back. 

0 Likes
Tentpole
Apprentice
Options

Hi @Jessl I have just bought an NU7020 from John Lewis where the expert said of course the 7 series will record to TVs, it's newer and better than the old models it replaces. I tried it and no luck. Can you confirm this is the case? If so that's astonishing that Samsung would deliberately castrate an otherwise excellent great value smart 4k telly - a decision taken I suppose to make the more expensive models look better. I now have no interest in looking at the next range up, am going to buy a Sony or anyone else. Too bad.

0 Likes