Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9FN One Connect Dolby Atmos/ eARC? HDMI Issues?

(Topic created on: 18-12-2018 01:38 PM)
HuntleyR
Student
Options

I just got a Q9FN and having similar issues to others that I have found.  I have a Denon 4400H receiver, with the eARC updated firmware,  I have a Dolby Atmos setup.  The only way I can get Atmos to work is to run all compnents through the receiver hdmi, then ARC to the OneConnect Box...  I lost the ability to have the FreeSync option when gaming, and the auto game mode, and I also run into handshake issues everynow and then.   If I switch from xbox to comcast or something, sometimes I lose all sound and have to power everything down....  very frusterating. 

I would love to use the OneConnect box as intended and just use the ARC to the receiver, but I can't get it to have Dolby Atmos, even with high end UBD9700 Samsung BluRay player, or any Nexflix app (TV or Xbox)..  So, yea.. sounds like the OneConnect box can't handle Atmos.    I'm hoping for a firmware update, but who knows???   Its' just stupid that a $3k TV can't do the latest audio format that has been around for a few years now...  I'm tempted to return the TV and go OLED..

Ideas??

Thanks

81 REPLIES 81
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@HuntleyR wrote:

I just got a Q9FN and having similar issues to others that I have found.  I have a Denon 4400H receiver, with the eARC updated firmware,  I have a Dolby Atmos setup.  The only way I can get Atmos to work is to run all compnents through the receiver hdmi, then ARC to the OneConnect Box...  I lost the ability to have the FreeSync option when gaming, and the auto game mode, and I also run into handshake issues everynow and then.   If I switch from xbox to comcast or something, sometimes I lose all sound and have to power everything down....  very frusterating. 

I would love to use the OneConnect box as intended and just use the ARC to the receiver, but I can't get it to have Dolby Atmos, even with high end UBD9700 Samsung BluRay player, or any Nexflix app (TV or Xbox)..  So, yea.. sounds like the OneConnect box can't handle Atmos.    I'm hoping for a firmware update, but who knows???   Its' just stupid that a $3k TV can't do the latest audio format that has been around for a few years now...  I'm tempted to return the TV and go OLED..

Ideas??

Thanks

You have a nice expensive TV that can not pass through Atmos,  and all so does not support DTS.  That's why I went for the lg which does. 

Bigman11
First Poster
Options
I have to say to that it is a very sad situation that a TV that is supposed to be a flagship cannot perform
berney
Explorer
Options

Why can't this TV just passthru the audio signal as it arrives from the source and into the ARC??? why on earth does this TV need to "support" the incoming signal?

I have 75" Q9FN and was planning to get a Dolby Atmos sound bar, but now my plans go down the drain. In no way I'm gonna make the sound bar the HDMI source switcher.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@berney wrote:

Why can't this TV just passthru the audio signal as it arrives from the source and into the ARC??? why on earth does this TV need to "support" the incoming signal?

I have 75" Q9FN and was planning to get a Dolby Atmos sound bar, but now my plans go down the drain. In no way I'm gonna make the sound bar the HDMI source switcher.

Don't think the arc is earc. I have a lg and that does send atmos  from Netflix to my receiver.  The Samsung does not even support DTS either. 

berney
Explorer
Options

I probably asked too much from the top-of-the-line / premium / best-off-all / oled-killer line of QLED TV sets.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@berney wrote:

I probably asked too much from the top-of-the-line / premium / best-off-all / oled-killer line of QLED TV sets.

What can not understand is why the can not fit a seperate HDMI out just for sound like most blurry players do,  which then can just pass through the signal,  that being Dolby HD and DTS x. Even my shield TV will pass through all the sound formats,  so why not a very expensive TV. 

I do think though Samsungs decision to remove DTS is a big backward step. 

Digglerman
First Poster
Options

I have a Q9FN, an Onkyo AV and Sky Q 2TB box.

I have my AV to ARC (HDMI4), my Sky Q box in HDMI1 and 4K Blu-Ray in HDMI2.  I can confirm, after downloading Justice League from Sky that it plays through my AV in Dolby Atmos.

I did have to change the sound output on my TV to Dolby Digital Plus initially, as the default is just Dolby Digital, but now whenever a broadcast is in Atmos, the TV automatically switches to Digital Plus.

0 Likes
cyuut
Journeyman
Options

Just to throw in my experience. I have Q9FN 2018 and HW-N950 soundbar. I have PS4 Pro connected in to soundbar and then ARC from soundbar to TV.

When using the PS4 Pro (via soundbar and then selecting HDMI 1) I cannot change the sound output from PCM (i.e. Dolby Digital and DD+ are greyed out). I have PS4 Pro outputting DD in it's settings. I am not getting Atmos for any games which should have Atmos (i.e. no Dolby Atmos scrolling text on the soundbar).

Netflix app (with Super HD profile) both through the TV and the PS4 Pro can't do Atmos.

The only Atmos I've managed is Amazon Prime Video. In this case DOLBY ATMOS scrolls across the display of the soundbar.

It appears that Netflix TV app doesn't support Atmos. But I am confused (and disappointed) why I can't get Atmos from the PS4 Pro.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@cyuut wrote:

Just to throw in my experience. I have Q9FN 2018 and HW-N950 soundbar. I have PS4 Pro connected in to soundbar and then ARC from soundbar to TV.

When using the PS4 Pro (via soundbar and then selecting HDMI 1) I cannot change the sound output from PCM (i.e. Dolby Digital and DD+ are greyed out). I have PS4 Pro outputting DD in it's settings. I am not getting Atmos for any games which should have Atmos (i.e. no Dolby Atmos scrolling text on the soundbar).

Netflix app (with Super HD profile) both through the TV and the PS4 Pro can't do Atmos.

The only Atmos I've managed is Amazon Prime Video. In this case DOLBY ATMOS scrolls across the display of the soundbar.

It appears that Netflix TV app doesn't support Atmos. But I am confused (and disappointed) why I can't get Atmos from the PS4 Pro.

If the the PS4 is connected to the atmos sound bar then the sound options will be grade out as you are not using the tv on board sound. It is only Microsoft and LG that have the atmos Netflix app at the moment. 

Have you checked on the PS that it is set to pass through sound, set it to bitstream out and DD+. There are atmos samples you can download and test it.