Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9FN One Connect Dolby Atmos/ eARC? HDMI Issues?

(Topic created on: 09-04-2019 08:30 AM)
HuntleyR
Student
Options

I just got a Q9FN and having similar issues to others that I have found.  I have a Denon 4400H receiver, with the eARC updated firmware,  I have a Dolby Atmos setup.  The only way I can get Atmos to work is to run all compnents through the receiver hdmi, then ARC to the OneConnect Box...  I lost the ability to have the FreeSync option when gaming, and the auto game mode, and I also run into handshake issues everynow and then.   If I switch from xbox to comcast or something, sometimes I lose all sound and have to power everything down....  very frusterating. 

I would love to use the OneConnect box as intended and just use the ARC to the receiver, but I can't get it to have Dolby Atmos, even with high end UBD9700 Samsung BluRay player, or any Nexflix app (TV or Xbox)..  So, yea.. sounds like the OneConnect box can't handle Atmos.    I'm hoping for a firmware update, but who knows???   Its' just stupid that a $3k TV can't do the latest audio format that has been around for a few years now...  I'm tempted to return the TV and go OLED..

Ideas??

Thanks

81 REPLIES 81
cyuut
Journeyman
Options

@paul1277

Thanks Paul. Yes being silly and looking at the output settings of tv.

On the ps4 i have output set to hdmi and bitstream dolby. 

I've tried multiple games which i know have atmos as well as the Prime app and the Netflix app on the ps4.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@cyuut wrote:

@paul1277

Thanks Paul. Yes being silly and looking at the output settings of tv.

On the ps4 i have output set to hdmi and bitstream dolby. 

I've tried multiple games which i know have atmos as well as the Prime app and the Netflix app on the ps4.

I think the Netflix and Prime app are not Atmos supporting yet on the PS4. That is why try a sample Atmos demo to check the PS4 is sending correctly. 

cyuut
Journeyman
Options

Cheers. I tried the Atmos demos from both https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/dolby-atmos-trailers.html and https://thedigitaltheater.com/dolby-trailers/.

The first links are mp4s and the latter are mp4s and mkvs. I got them on to my PS4 Pro and only the ones downloaded from Dolby played with sound. The others said "not compatible sound format". The ones that did play with sound did not play in Atmos.

I have never seen a clean answer to this; but from everything I have personally seen: the PS4 Pro doesn't support Atmos for either games, apps, or video files.

What a bummer.

0 Likes
Rashyd
Explorer
Options

Hi there, 

From Sydney here. 

I have a Q9fn connected to a Hwn950 via Ark. How did you manage to get dolby atmos from Amazon video?

The only way I could get dolby atmos to work is through the Nvidia shield TV (downloaded dolby atmos videos). What is your setup may I ask? 

Rashyd
Explorer
Options

Hi there, 

From Sydney here. 

I have a Q9fn connected to a Hwn950 via Ark. How did you manage to get dolby atmos from Amazon video?

The only way I could get dolby atmos to work is through the Nvidia shield TV (downloaded dolby atmos videos). What is your setup may I ask? 

0 Likes
cyuut
Journeyman
Options

Q9FN with Samsung HW K950. There are only a handful of Dolby Atmos items on Prime Video (the one I was watching was Jack Ryan).

0 Likes
Rashyd
Explorer
Options

Hey mate,
I have the N950 and Q9. I am having trouble getting Atmos on prime. How have you done the setup? I have connected PS4 pro and Nvidia shield to the speaker. Dolby Atmos only works on the downloaded content I play through Nvidia shield. 
and how have you set up the ps4 pro?

0 Likes
Fredg46
Explorer
Options

@Rashyd wrote:

Hey mate,
I have the N950 and Q9. I am having trouble getting Atmos on prime. How have you done the setup? I have connected PS4 pro and Nvidia shield to the speaker. Dolby Atmos only works on the downloaded content I play through Nvidia shield. 
and how have you set up the ps4 pro?

If you go to your sound settings and check they are on dolby digital + after entering amazon, otherwise most stuff on Amazon and Netflix are in 5.1 for Samsung, I do notice on Netflix and Amazon I am getting surround and my settings are on DD+ but whether i'm getting true Atmos, probably not but still sounds good. Narcos show on Netflix was giving me real surround, the back speakers were pumping on the N950. The Q9fn is Atmos compatible and should pass it through apps if the app allows it. I'm using the UBP X800 Sony Bluray connected to the n950 via HDMI with belkin 48gb HDMI cables to make sure of an overkill I also used them for the ARC connection to the tv, no drop outs and the Atmos word scrolls across on the bar when watching Atmos blurays. Your best bet to get Atmos is to connect all external devices to the soundbar and not the tv, you can also try an external media device to watch Netflix and Prime that supports Dolby Atmos and connect directly to the soundbar thus elimenating the tv as not producing dolby atmos.

Fredg46
Explorer
Options

Also it's pot luck trying to get dolby atmos through arc, it can pass through the tv as dd+ but there will be loss in picture data, your best bet is to run everything through the soundbar as you have. most setups are done this way. here is a link to hdmi 2.0 and arc passing through dolby atmos. If you are that concerned then better waiting for this years new tv's with hdmi 2.1 and eARC that can pass through dolby atmos and full resolution. http://community.cedia.net/blogs/david-meyer/2018/06/25/dolby-atmos-over-hdmi-arc

Daskew78
Explorer
Options

I have the Samsung 75" Q9FN and totally agree that it's very poor of Samsung not to offer an update to support eARC on a recent flagship television. Their support is bad to none and they are just not interested which is why I won't buy another Samsung product again. Regardless I got around this by purchasing the "HDFury Mastro" which supports literally EVERYTHING you want to pass through it and outs the video direct to the TV and the audio directly to the soundbar/amp of your choice. It even works with the Harmony remote. 

Regards
0 Likes