Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q9 2018 TVs with FreeSync and DD+ ARC (DD+ ARC doesn't seem to be working)

(Topic created on: 10-12-2018 09:15 PM)
Shallowearth
Apprentice
Options

OK, so I bought the 2018 Q9 TV and have a Yamaha RX-A880 (which supports 4K and the new eARC formats), I also have an XBOX ONE X that support FreeSync and DD+ (Atmos)

I haven't been able to get the FreeSync to work unless the XBOX is directly connected to the TV (not passed through the receiver, the Yamaha does a great job passing through the 4K but can't do FreeSync).

First, I have to say the XBOX is gorgeous with FreeSync, and 4K Netflix content is vastly superiour to watching directly in the TV apps.  Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to get the DD+ signal to go through the TV back to Reciever.  The settings int he TV seem to imply it is supported (it says something like DD+ is only supported on HDMI ARC) but when I try to set the XBOX to HDMI Bitstream Atmos, it just throughs an error saying the TV doesn't support it, and forcing it (by connecting directly to the Yamaha, setting it to Atmos, then connecting it to the TV, just results in no sounds flowing back on the ARC signal.  The NETFLIX app on the TV doesn't support ATMOS audio (the XBOX version does), so I can't even figure out a way to test this feature to see if DD+ can indeed be passed through ARC with the new protocols since I don't knowif there are any apps on the Samsung that support ATMOS audio.  

Anyone seen DD+ on ARC in action with the set.  It would be great to get both FreeSync and DD+ on my XBOX but it seems like right now I can only get one or the other.  So for now I am going with FreeSync because the picture is just fantastic on 4K with even less soap opera effect, but wish I could get that DD+ going as well.

15 REPLIES 15
tarbat
Voyager
Options

I think ATMOS needs eARC to work, so if the TV just has ARC, it won't passthru ATMOS. You could use an HDMI splitter to send the sound separately to the Yamaha.

1.jpg

Shallowearth
Apprentice
Options

Yeah it is wierd, the TV specifically has an option for AUDIO Out that says "DD+ (HDMI ONLY)" (but always says it is not supported on the device when you click it), and since there is no HDMI OUT on the TV other than ARC it must be their equivalent of eARC, but maybe it just doesn't work yet, or doesn't work with the XBOX ONE X.  But then again they also left the option for the sound to come from the "TV Speakers" when the TV has none so there you go.

I am pretty sure if I put an HDMI splitter between the XBOX and the TV I will loose FreeSync, unless you know of one that supports passing through FreeSync?

0 Likes
Shallowearth
Apprentice
Options

In fact here is the description in the manual:

The Dolby Digital+ option is only available via ARC(HDMI) for external devices that support the format.

But maybe it is only for native apps on the TV (and not able to take a DD+ bitstream and pass it on), but unfortunately I didn't see any native apps that support Atmos audio stream.  So is a bit of a silly feature if that is the case.)

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@Shallowearth wrote: 
I am pretty sure if I put an HDMI splitter between the XBOX and the TV I will loose FreeSync, unless you know of one that supports passing through FreeSync?

HDFury Vertex claims to support both ALLM and VRR, which is what I presume you mean by FreeSync.

As you say, it could be the TV can’t passthru DD+, or just can’t handle ATMOS encoded in DD+.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@Shallowearth wrote: 

HDFury Vertex claims to support both ALLM and VRR, which is what I presume you mean by FreeSync.

As you say, it could be the TV can’t passthru DD+, or just can’t handle ATMOS encoded in DD+.

My friend has the Hisense 6800 and it does pass through atmos from a usb drive attached to the tv via ARC to a Denon receiver. He showed it me using some Dolby atmos samples and the Denon show it was receiving an atmos signal. 

Paul

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

My friend has the Hisense 6800 and it does pass through atmos from a usb drive attached to the tv via ARC to a Denon receiver. He showed it me using some Dolby atmos samples and the Denon show it was receiving an atmos signal. 

That’s not really pass through, that’s presumably using the TV’s media player app to play from USB. Many TVs have limitations on what sound formats they can passthru from their HDMI inputs to their HDMI-ARC output.

0 Likes
HuntleyR
Student
Options

Anyone have any luck with this?

I just got a Q9FN and having similar issues.   I have a Denon 4400H, with the eARC updated firmware,  I have a Dolby Atmos setup.  The only way I can get Atmos to work is to run all compnents through the receiver hdmi, then ARC to the OneConnect Box...  I lost the ability to have the FreeSync option when gaming, and the auto game mode, and I also run into handshake issues everynow and then.   If I switch from xbox to comcast or something, sometimes I lose all sound and have to power everything down....  very frusterating. 

I would love to use the OneConnect box as intended and just use the ARC to the receiver, but I can't get it to have Dolby Atmos, even with high end UBD9700 Samsung BluRay player, or any Nexflix app (TV or Xbox)..  So, yea.. sounds like the OneConnect box can't handle Atmos.    I'm hoping for a firmware update, but who knows???   Its' just stupid that a $3k TV can't do the latest audio format that has been around for a few years now...  I'm tempted to return the TV and go OLED..

Ideas??

Thanks

0 Likes
AudioN8
First Poster
Options

Same problem. I own Q7fn and Xbox One X.

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
You also need propped hdmi cables for this though
0 Likes