Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q7F Judders and white flashes

(Topic created on: 02-07-2018 10:15 AM)
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Getting more annoyed with our Q7F TV, we were hoping some firmware updates would improve things but that hasn't happened.

1) White flashes, every now again, sometimes a few minutes apart, sometimes hours apart, on a scene transition there is a brilliant white flash, i.e. the screen shows for a fraction of a second or perhaps a single frame, a complete white screen.  This happens from all sources and is random but usually always at an edit, going back and playing the same part again it doesn't happen, its as though the TV can't process quick enough over a cut.

2) Judders, typically on pans, at the start of the pan the picture will freeze for a couple of frames then jump and catch up, this is often repeatable but not always.

We've tried changing various motion settings and judder reduction settings which have done nothing to stop the problems.

Are these problems happening for everyone on these TVs?

Regards

Phil

61 REPLIES 61
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Hi,

Not noticed anything on our QE40Q7F - and we have any motion settings turned off completely. Not sure about the juddering, but have you tried disabling any eco settings for the flashes?

From 'the book':

If your Samsung Television is flickering or dimming sporadically, you may need to disable some of the energy efficiency features. Disable Energy Saving Mode ( Settings General Eco Solution Energy Saving Mode), Ambient Light Detection ( Settings General Eco Solution Ambient Light Detection), or Motion Lighting ( Settings General Eco Solution Motion Lighting).

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

I've still been suffering white flashes during scene transitions and have done some troubleshooting, a shame Samsung hasn't.

The flashes only happen when:

Picture mode = Movie

Auto Motion Plus Settings are on with Judder and Blur settings set to 1 or higher.  This is with the very latest firmware 1230, and has been present with all prior versions.

So this explains why only some people have seen this problem

So after lots of testing I've found if I set the Picture mode to Natural, then make the same picture adjustments that Movie mode applies under Expert picture settings, I get an identical picture to the Movie picture mode, but no flashes.  Switch back to Movie mode, and it starts the white frame flashes again.

So Samsung, please get your firmware guys to see what is different with the Movie picture mode, and test in that mode with Auto motion settings enabled, at some point you will find footage that causes the white flashes at scene changes.

Regards

Phil

Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Good work Phil.  Admittedly still not seen any white flashes on our set, but still have Auto Motion Plus turned firmly off - as it made the picture under certain circumstances look absurd.

I will upgrade to 1230 shortly and see if that makes any differences (good or bad) to what is currently being viewed.

What, if any. differences have you noticed sinced upgrading?

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

You will not see the white flashes with motion plus turned off even in Movie mode.

I've not see any changes with the new firmware, and frustratingly Samsung still refuse to supply a list of changes the firmware is applying or fixing so we will probably never know.  I'll not buy another Samsung TV after this one, very disappointed in their sets.

Regards

Phil

valleyboy22
Voyager
Options

I think its a common thing with the judder issue with samsung. I returned my curved tv because it was really bad in my opinion. Paid a little extra and got the 120hz samsung and it had more settings to play around with and seems better give or take.

0 Likes
Waynimus
Pioneer
Options

In regards to the white flashes, I have noticed something similar in my KS TV too. Perhaps it's the same issue?

A good repeatable example of this, should anyone care to try, is to find a film Blu-ray, Netflix etc. and skip to the end credits.

Instead of just the scrolling credits try and find a film that displays the actor's name, and fades to black before displaying the next name. It seems that whenever the TV has a full black image onscreen that this white flash occurs, as such easily spottable during end credit scenes.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

After many hours watching I can confirm the white flashes at scene edits have gone for us since changing from Movie picture mode to the Natural picture mode.  It's been possible to enjoy several films without periods of feeling like someone is taking photos of us with a flash camera!

Therefore this is [another] a software bug that needs fixing but of course will never be fixed.  How on earth this has got through testing and released to the general public is a testiment to how good (well bad) Samsung is at quality control.

The only annoying thing is the Natural picture mode can't be made to look exactly like Movie Mode as it has sone non defeatable colour processing.

Judder still isn't very good, what is annoying is judder is added where it shouldn't be, even when footage is 50i or 60i and should de-interlace and be judder free, the TV introduces judder by seemingly only de-interlacing to 25 frames a second.  At the start of a camera pan, it will often try and stop the pan happening by showing a few of the same frames before jumping and catching up.  It's truely rubbish.

Regards

Phil

Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Just looked at the online support page and I see you can now download firmware 1221, whereas previously it was 1230?

Anyone any idea as to why the retro move. I am guessing those that have already flashed the 1230 firmware will not be able to use the 1221?

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Yes it was taken down with no explanation from Samsung surprise surprise, who think their customers deserve to know nothing.  We don't know what 1230 had changed as they don't provide any release notes with their firmware updates, not an industry norm, but it is for Samsung.  So without knowing what the firmware changed, we can't guess on why it might have been taken down.  I did read some reports that it broke some smart TV apps, but then most firmware updates from Samsung have broken something.

I updated to 1230 whilst it was available, and not noticed any issues (or fixes either!), and you are correct in that you can't go back to an older version, so if anyone is affected by the problem which meant they took it down, has been stuck with that problem for a while now.

Of course Samsung should have rebuilt firmware version 1221 as version 1231 so it would be accepted by our TVs as a new version and we could put it back on, however Samsung hasn't done that.

Regards

Phil