Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 06-02-2017 02:35 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
aretzios
Navigator
Options

You are absolutely right.  However, it would certainly take a dedicated legal team to get this going, and I am not sure that this is possible at this time.  Yes, I am sure that the costs to Samsung would be substantial. This is not a cheap repair.  In fact, it is a replacement of the TV.  I am also sure that at Samsung there are furious meetings back and forth on this and probably a preparation for a court challenge.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@aretzios wrote:

You are absolutely right.  However, it would certainly take a dedicated legal team to get this going, and I am not sure that this is possible at this time.  Yes, I am sure that the costs to Samsung would be substantial. This is not a cheap repair.  In fact, it is a replacement of the TV.  I am also sure that at Samsung there are furious meetings back and forth on this and probably a preparation for a court challenge.

If it is a known fault then under the 2015 consumer law you are entitled to a repair up to 6 years.  The ks refund more info thread has all the info how to go about it.  If you bought by credit card you have section 75.

Paul

0 Likes
mariusvaida
First Poster
Options

I also joined this unwanted club with my 4 years old 40h6400. A beautiful purple spot with the size of a hand in the middle of the screen.

I talked with a friend which works in a authorised Samsung service and it confirmed that the only fix is to replace the display panel, so yeah it will end up in the bin.

Needles to say that after this experience i will never buy Samsung tv's, even if until now i only used this brand, but i see that the quality is getting worse with each new model...

loloman
First Poster
Options

Hi there,

I have an LG 4k Smart TV which does the same thing. Three purple patches on the left and right side and on the top of the screen. Used this TV for about 2,5 years. Careful what you buy.

Cheers.

0 Likes
Feliz
Student
Options

I know this is old but this is just now happening to my tv and the purple is spreading. I was just the top and bottom right corner but now theres a spot in the middle. And they're not little, prob bout the same size as yours. This is my second Samsung TV in 6 yrs. The first one the screen got vertical rainbow lines and eventually took over the tv. Had to be replaced so I got a good deal on a 55 curved Samsung TV. I went with them again bcz I love how the screen looks compared to others and it has a dimming feature I sure alot so I don't have to go into pic setting and change things indiv everytime. But after this tv, it will be my last Samsung. This one didn't even make it 4yrs. I haven't replaced it yet, gonna wait till it's unbearable. 

0 Likes
pstone3
Explorer
Options

Hi Felix! Welcome to the club! Samsung hates you and just wants your money lol.

Yea, I turned my crappy purple 55" into a gaming computer for the kids. Works great for that. 

I went with their rival LG this time. So far, much better deal. 

Poisonivy
Explorer
Options

Mine still has the same purple patch top left and so far it hasn't spread.

Samsung will get no more of our money, Someone had supposed to have escalated my complaint and i was promised a call back, it never happened though.

Hubby was going to buy a Samsung phone but because of all this he chose a different make.

So Samsung if you read these threads word is spreading, you're losing customers!!!

Feliz
Student
Options
That's exactly what I'm gonna do with this one. My nephews will be getting an upgraded tv to go with my old xb 360 😁 I'm thinking of lg as well.
0 Likes
TmanFishing
First Poster
Options

I have 6 spots on my 1 1/2 year old UN55MU6490. Two of the spots are as big as my hand. I am disabled with a back injury and cannot get around well so this TV was purchased to give me some entertainment. I feel like I was sold a product with known issues at the time of the sale. I don't no when I will be able to afford to replace this TV, but if Samsung dosen't make this right, I will be looking at LG. I've  been a samsung buyer for 20 years.

Disappointed

jaydeesank
First Poster
Options

I am another disappointed Samsung TV owner.  I did all the standard checks when i realised that the purple patches were spreading and then googled to try to find a solution.  It has been a great TV but I did expect it to last more than 4 years.  I shall try to get redress from the retailer (John Lewis) under the Consumer Laws but I don't hold out much hope.  Having discovered this site and seen how common it is across many models it is the last Samsung TV I shall buy.  

0 Likes