Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purple patches on TV

(Topic created on: 13-08-2018 05:31 AM)
GreenNeedle
Apprentice
Options

Hello.  I have a 48 LED Smart TV.  Model No is UE48H6400AKXXU

About 6 months I noticed that there were a couple of purple patches on the screen.  They are very noticeable with pale or white backgrounds especially adverts which often have a lot of white on the screen.

Initially there was a patch that radiated from the bottom left corner about 12cm outward and then about 4/5ths across the screen on the right there was another patch from the top about the same 12cm width but went down about 2 thirds of the screen so about 40cm long.

Over the past 6 months they have become more noticeable.  a darker shade of purple plus of course I am aware of them so notice them more.

When a normal picture is on screen they distort the colour quite a lot.  Worse on lighter colours than darker ones.  The rest of the screen is fine but of course it is annoying to have these colour distortions on the screen.

Other than these problems the rest of the TV functions fine.

I would guess I have had the TV about 2 years now or just over.

Can you tell me if there is anything I can do or is the TV on the way out?  What is the expected lifetime of these TV sets?  and will it be costly to repair?  Not sure if there is any warranty over the year on these TVs.

208 REPLIES 208
pstone3
Explorer
Options

I *suspect* it's connected. Without someone on the inside proving it, of course they will deny it. However, this type of deceptive activity has happened before so I wouldn't be surprised. Regardless, since it is a widespread enough issue, Samsung SHOULD recognize it and act accordingly which they are not which makes it even more suspect.

0 Likes
aretzios
Navigator
Options

I seriously doubt that the purple patch is due to a poorly coded firmware update.  In the first place, a "programmed" error would have resulted in a very similar pattern for all, but this is not the case.   I personally think that this is somehow connected to local dimming and poor quality assurance examination of these panels by Samsung.  There is, of course, a worse assumption.  Samsung became aware of the problem and it defined that it affected 1% of its panels.  It decided that it could "live" with this failure rate.  Most of the users would experience the failure after the warrantee had expired.  If not, and if they had purchased an extended warrantee, the problem would be transferred to the insurance company that Samsung works with.  It is likely paying this company billions to deal with product malfunctions.  Thus, excluding a few irrate customers, a small minority of which whom would be posting in the internet, this problem would have zero monetary repercussions on Samsung, unless, of course the insurance company found out that Samsung knew and sued them in the courts (unlikely to happen).

aretzios
Navigator
Options

Samsung has not even acknowledge the problem.  You are just too hopeful!!  No, it is not going to happen.  If Samsung is aware of the issue, I am sure that it has fixed it in the newer panels and it only has to wait for the users of the faulty TVs to move on.  Whatever loses are suffered would be of the insurance companies that work with Samsung, not by Samsung itself.

pstone3
Explorer
Options

Not poorly program, targeted failure. Look up the whole nightmare with Leapfrog's units.

JaymieS
Explorer
Options

20180815_003619.jpg

JaymieS
Explorer
Options

Help us CEO of Samsung !20180815_003549.jpg

mapp28
Student
Options

@mapp28 wrote:

I have recently encountered this on my UE55HU7200U set, it started approx a month ago and is about 10" x 10" in the bottom right-hand corner 

I have read that replacing the Tcon board can fix 90% of screen issues, I can pick one of these up for about £25 

Does anyone know if this would fix the haze ??

On the back of this I took out a 3rd party insurance just incase the screen continued to get worse and stopped working as I could claim an electrical fault, the insurers only wanted a date and proof of purchase, no assessment was done on the tv itself, the screen continued to deteriorate and I had 4 or 5 rather large patches covering approx 40 % of the screen until last week, when my 2yo son kindly smashed the screen with his toy hammer, this resulted in the purple patches that I had covering the entire tv except for the broken pixels, i claimed for accidental damage and luckily my tv was replaced within 3 days, only issue is the only options they gave me were like for like up to the value I paid so I now have a 2018 65” inch Samsung tv, I will continue to follow this thread as I will most likely be back in 2021 0A744878-8882-48D4-B8D3-8E631CD6EEC5.jpeg

105018FF-94B6-4EC5-BBAC-E8D6F40F1C3D.jpeg

aretzios
Navigator
Options

OMG!!!  Stop praying to the God of Samsung.  Nobody is coming to help.  Give the TV to a charity and go buy another one (if you do not have a warrantee).  Unfortunately, there is no further assistance here

Huds
Journeyman
Options

Same problem, under two years. Has anyone tried degaussing the screen with an external degaussing coil (look on YouTube)? Some sites report success with this. 

0 Likes
Lantis
First Poster
Options

My 55inch Smart TV has the same issue.  A Samsung approved repair company said over the phone its a panel failure.  As the TV is not even 4 years old yet and Samsung and Currys dont want to know. I have invoked the Credit Consumer Act 1974 Section 75. My bank is now dealing with it and I am expecting a full refund via my credit card.   I wont be buying another Samsung or anything from Currys ever again.  Shoddy goods and shoddy service

0 Likes