Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DTS support on the 2018 Q9fn?

(Topic created on: 14-11-2018 06:26 PM)
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

After recently upgrading my ue46c8000 to a qe55q9fn 2018 model. Ive discovered that DTS is not supported? Is this going to be resolved with a firmware update as most films films now come with DTS audio? 

Samsung blu ray players also support DTS? Is this an oversight or a backward step? 

203 REPLIES 203
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

"It would be nice if Samsung could give an honest explanation of why the Qled doesn't support dts?"

You will never get an honest answer from Samsung, you'll be lucky to get any answer at all!

The reason it's not supported will be down to cost, either the hardware is broken or can't support it, so would cost more to add better hardware, or they don't want to pay the royalties.

Samsung TVs are half hearted by Samsung, somethings are good, like the QLED panels (although even here quality varies a lot, no two are the same!), but the supporting hardware and firmware and ongoing support are lacking.  

However, DTS is normally a high-quality audio stream that a TVs speakers would never do justice to, so feeding everything into an AV amplifier is probably what most people do, rather than to the TV directly, and ARC is really dated and struggling to keep up with new audio formats, and is too complex for Samsung to get 100% working!  Of course, this doesn't help much if you want to use the TVs own apps or streaming abilities to play video with DTS streams.

Samsung TVs are best avoided, we'll never buy another one as we get fed up with all the judders and frame flashes that despite a dozen or more firmware updates (which we have no idea what these change as they refuse to give any release notes for them) have been unable to fix, and even their newest flagship models suffer the same issues. 

Regards

Phil

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Phil12 wrote:

Hi

"It would be nice if Samsung could give an honest explanation of why the Qled doesn't support dts?"

You will never get an honest answer from Samsung, you'll be lucky to get any answer at all!

The reason it's not supported will be down to cost, either the hardware is broken or can't support it, so would cost more to add better hardware, or they don't want to pay the royalties.

Samsung TVs are half hearted by Samsung, somethings are good, like the QLED panels (although even here quality varies a lot, no two are the same!), but the supporting hardware and firmware and ongoing support are lacking.  

However, DTS is normally a high-quality audio stream that a TVs speakers would never do justice to, so feeding everything into an AV amplifier is probably what most people do, rather than to the TV directly, and ARC is really dated and struggling to keep up with new audio formats, and is too complex for Samsung to get 100% working!  Of course, this doesn't help much if you want to use the TVs own apps or streaming abilities to play video with DTS streams.

Samsung TVs are best avoided, we'll never buy another one as we get fed up with all the judders and frame flashes that despite a dozen or more firmware updates (which we have no idea what these change as they refuse to give any release notes for them) have been unable to fix, and even their newest flagship models suffer the same issues. 

Regards

I agree and they have dropped DTS very quietly. Considering a lot of films are DTS sound tracts a bit of a backwards step. 

I think we are all being conned with all tv manufacturer with ARC. We know that Atmos and DTSX can be sent via HDMI 1.4 in bitstream. That's why my shield can send Atmos to my AV amp,  and the same with all bluray players and they do not use ARC. 

Why can not the TVs have an audio HDMI out so they can then send bitstream out to a avid system of sound bar. If a £160 shield and bluray player can do it then a £1000 + tv should. 

Paul

0 Likes
KUTlime
Apprentice
Options
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
0 Likes
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options

Can you explain a detailed connection method using an Avr? I have a Yamaha adventage 1050. Which I use for audio which also supports dts and I still cant get the tv to play dts movies. My movies are stored on a qnap 451a Nas with an HDMI out port. Im using twonky server as a media server.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ian6xtreme wrote:

Can you explain a detailed connection method using an Avr? I have a Yamaha adventage 1050. Which I use for audio which also supports dts and I still cant get the tv to play dts movies. My movies are stored on a qnap 451a Nas with an HDMI out port. Im using twonky server as a media server.

Because the TV does not support DTS which is crazy,  anything you play through your TV with a DTS audio will not work. You need a separate media player or bluray player contacted directly to the av and av connect to TV. 

0 Likes
Ian6xtreme
Explorer
Options
Is it not possible with an Avr that supports dts? This is a total joke. Like buying a top of the range car that you can't fit wheels to!!! Unless Samsung get their act together and release a firmware update to resolve this. This will be the last Samsung product I buy. Period. Shower of *****e.
GaborH
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Does that actually work?

And who knows for how long?

Does this setup also support an external audio system - meaning the TV supports audio passthrough with this setup?

Thanks,

Gabor

0 Likes
GaborH
Apprentice
Options
I mean Plex
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@GaborH wrote:

Hi,

Does that actually work?

And who knows for how long?

Does this setup also support an external audio system - meaning the TV supports audio passthrough with this setup?

Thanks,

Gabor

This TV does not support audio pass through.  All you get is Dolby digital+ at best. Any DTS media will not give any sound and will not pass through the ARC HDMI.  Pretty poor really for a top end telly. I have asked why they cannot fit a second audio HDMI to pass through bitstream lime their bluray player. 

0 Likes