Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New update MU series

(Topic created on: 22-10-2018 01:31 PM)
MikeEvo
Explorer
Options

After the last Update and the issues it caused I have turned off Automatic Updates.

Just had a message asking me to allow a new update, I have declined update until I have more information. 

Does anyone know what it is for ?

Does it work ?

Thanks

MikeEvo
921 REPLIES 921
Sdws917
Explorer
Options

That is a great question I have been wondering about for almost a year. Samsung said that firmware updates would make 2017 TVs HDR10+ ready and there’s been several updates. However, there’s no way to see if you have it or not since the only service offering that is Amazon Prime but there is no HDR10+ indicator to tell if it’s displayed in that format or not. It still just has the HDR indicator.  I’d love a tech from Samsung to tell us how we confirm if our TVs can display HDR10+

Maxscribe
First Poster
Options

HDR+

my Q7FQLED has had HDR+ for a while now. Definitely several firmware versions prior to 1250.5

Sorry cannot give you a exact date when it appeared. Might have been enabled a year ago, just didn't think about it until I read your comment.

HDR+ is available but at present makes films look horrible - really fake cheap TV series made in a studio type look, very odd.

Too much motion smoothing and vageuly 3D effect (faces stand out from background very disconcertingly).

The only film that HDR+ has improved was "Passengers" 2160p. Without it faces look waxy and overly bright saturated flesh tones while background is dull and dark. With HDR+ and it becomes really impressive. Does not switch automatically had to go into settings to enable.

0 Likes
Sdws917
Explorer
Options

Sounds like you are activating HDR+ which is a fake HDR for non HDR sources (highly recommended to turn that off). I was referring to HDR10+ which is like a Dolby Vision type of dynamic metadata color tracking. There is no setting to enable it and the only source to date is Amazon Prime (but they don’t indicate it is streaming in that format). Also the “soap opera” type effect you spoke of is auto motion. Turn that off and that should correct that issue. 

Maxscribe
First Poster
Options

Thanks for correcting me.  I am wrong, you are right.

HDR+ is available on my picture settings but not HDR10+

0 Likes
carlitosmu9000
Pioneer
Options

that is correct hd+ and hdr10 plus are two different things if you go to https://www.hdr10plus.org/current-adopters/

Panasonic is doing a better job updating their TVs,  samsung only has 2 UHD TV's that can do hdr10 plus and is their 2018 collection, i don't think that's fair! mu9000 tvs were not cheap! i wrote to their customer support and they send me a link to this page :https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078565/  we already know this, we just want to know if we ever are going to get the firmware update! is that too much to ask?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@carlitosmu9000 wrote:

that is correct hd+ and hdr10 plus are two different things if you go to https://www.hdr10plus.org/current-adopters/

Panasonic is doing a better job updating their TVs,  samsung only has 2 UHD TV's that can do hdr10 plus and is their 2018 collection, i don't think that's fair! mu9000 tvs were not cheap! i wrote to their customer support and they send me a link to this page :https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078565/  we already know this, we just want to know if we ever are going to get the firmware update! is that too much to ask?

I think for Samsung, yes. 

Sdws917
Explorer
Options

The Samsung website specifically states 2017 TVs already have HDR10+. We just have no way to know. Why is it such a mystery?Can no one from Saumsung step forward and say “yes it’s on all 2017 TVs” or “no it’s not yet”?  If so how do you tell and firmware was it introduced?  Come on. At least Apple has the decency to tell you what the upgrades do. All of our Samsung updates are secrets and mystery. 

carlitosmu9000
Pioneer
Options

no necessarily what the website says is "Samsung premium UHD TVs have HDR10+ capabilities" they are "ready" but i don't think they been updated just yet! why is it take so long ?

is there someone from samsung even reading this ?

0 Likes
Sdws917
Explorer
Options

Oh they’re reading it, which is precisely why they aren’t answering LOL. 

cormar
Pioneer
Options

HLGHDR_HDR10Plus.PNGfrom the dutch support-site samsung. regards cormar.