Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Series 7 Does not support vidoes

(Topic created on: 09-10-2018 11:17 AM)
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I had a 40" Series 6 LED TV which is connected to a NAS with 1.25Tb of video files of various types (.avi, .mkv, etc.).

Unfortunately, we had an accident on Friday and the set was physically damaged.

I bought a new Series 7 43" on Saturday, unplugged the Series 6  and replaced it with the Series 7.

Unfortunatly, hardly any of my video library will play on the new set! Either file not supported or audio format not supported.

I've checked and have the latest firmware... have I bought a €450 paperweight?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

84 REPLIES 84
Madasahat
Voyager
Options
Sony runs android on TVs
Samsung runs Tizen on TVs

Connect to your NAS via Wifi and run it DLNA mode

NAS boxes can have software installed
There will be a way to get your files to play even an on the fly decode. I have given you plenty of ideas to work with but if you just wanted to rant why?

Just take it back simply swap it for an something running android.

Maybe do a bit of research and you would have known the play store was not or will not be on Samsumg running Tizen OS.

Demanding the play store NOW will not work.

What audio codec is the MPEG4 in? (even though x265 is the best picture with big compression)

/helpfinished
0 Likes
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

I did some research before starting this thread but couldn't come up with anything... I contacted Samsung but no reply to date.

Sadly, the only 'solution' I found was taking it back to the shop and changing it...

CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

@Madasahat

I think the key element you are missing here is that for me (and others) the Series 6 worked perfectly.

It is not an unreasonable assumption that if you replace your Series 6 with a bigger Series 7 it will work in the same way.

Yes, there may be work-arounds or other solutions but for me I just wanted a plug-n-play replacement for my Series 6. Even the guys in the shop and the shop's technical support centre didn't know of the problem until I demonstrated it.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Xyed wrote:
I have the same issue.

Got a new Series 7 TV 3 days ago.

It plays old video files, but any recent mpeg4 ones.

"Sound not supported".

Would like a reply from a samsung official right now with a date when this ISSUE will be adressed.

No Google Play Store.
No Video playback.

Do I need to request a full refund for this (at the moment) piece of **** ?

If it is in DTS audio it will not as Samsung have dropped DTS support,  and it will not pass through DTS. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Madasahat wrote:
Sony runs android on TVs
Samsung runs Tizen on TVs

Connect to your NAS via Wifi and run it DLNA mode

NAS boxes can have software installed
There will be a way to get your files to play even an on the fly decode. I have given you plenty of ideas to work with but if you just wanted to rant why?

Just take it back simply swap it for an something running android.

Maybe do a bit of research and you would have known the play store was not or will not be on Samsumg running Tizen OS.

Demanding the play store NOW will not work.

What audio codec is the MPEG4 in? (even though x265 is the best picture with big compression)

/helpfinished

Samsung deserves a rant for dropping DTS support. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CyprusGrump wrote:

I did some research before starting this thread but couldn't come up with anything... I contacted Samsung but no reply to date.

Sadly, the only 'solution' I found was taking it back to the shop and changing it...

No DTS support,  but the service 6 did.  Funny how Samsung did not make this clear. LG support it. 

Madasahat
Voyager
Options
So quoting my posts with solutions just to say
"Deserves a rant" is helpful in what way?
I posted numerous ways that this issue could be solved.

But if you want to boil it down and get to the truth let's have a look

Where are these "files" from that are sat on this person's NAS server.
I will take a wild stab in the dark and say they won't be legal backups of films this person owns and if they were, the solutions to his problems I posted would be VERY easy to fix as he will be encoding his own films with the settings he chooses. So on that note it's obvious he does not encode his own films to stream as he just wants a "plug and play solution not a 3rd party or other way to fix his issue"
Irrelevant of DTS support or not I am sure he can encode his films without the need for DTS now that his new TV does not support all of his "backups"
0 Likes
Madasahat
Voyager
Options

@Xyed wrote:

I do not want to stream a video from a laptop / desktop / phone to the TV.

I would like to be able to play the content I have on an external NAS ( connected to the tv by the external hardrive USB port ).

The video plays but it will not load the sound. I belive it's because it's using DTS

Well encode your files without the need for DTS.

Do you have a sound system that requires it?

What program are you using to compress the data from your film collection to your NAS server?

How are you getting the files onto your NAS?

What is the brand of NAS server you are using? I could then suggest an alternate method

Is your NAS wifi or just calling a portable HDD your NAS?

All I am saying is kicking off for something that you could change when encoding your films which would solve your issue

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Madasahat wrote:
So quoting my posts with solutions just to say
"Deserves a rant" is helpful in what way?
I posted numerous ways that this issue could be solved.

But if you want to boil it down and get to the truth let's have a look

Where are these "files" from that are sat on this person's NAS server.
I will take a wild stab in the dark and say they won't be legal backups of films this person owns and if they were, the solutions to his problems I posted would be VERY easy to fix as he will be encoding his own films with the settings he chooses. So on that note it's obvious he does not encode his own films to stream as he just wants a "plug and play solution not a 3rd party or other way to fix his issue"
Irrelevant of DTS support or not I am sure he can encode his films without the need for DTS now that his new TV does not support all of his "backups"

You are missing the point.  They all played fine on the 6 series,  so when you upgrade it is not unreasonable to expect the same and more. But for all who have upgraded to the 7 or 8 or q900r 8k tv you do not get DTS support.  What you are saying is unreasonable because why should a customer have jump through hoops to get video to work on their new tellys which worked fine on their older tallies.  Also it is none of your business where there vids came from! By not supporting DTS it is a big step back and does not look good.  How will it affect EARC,  will it pass through DTS because it does not do so now. You have offered alternatives,  but at additional cost which again is unreasonable. 

jumboo
First Poster
Options

I have just upgraded or should I say downgraded to 7 from a 5 and have the same problem so will take it back and get a sony