Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Series 7 Does not support vidoes

(Topic created on: 25-02-2019 09:24 AM)
CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I had a 40" Series 6 LED TV which is connected to a NAS with 1.25Tb of video files of various types (.avi, .mkv, etc.).

Unfortunately, we had an accident on Friday and the set was physically damaged.

I bought a new Series 7 43" on Saturday, unplugged the Series 6  and replaced it with the Series 7.

Unfortunatly, hardly any of my video library will play on the new set! Either file not supported or audio format not supported.

I've checked and have the latest firmware... have I bought a €450 paperweight?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

84 REPLIES 84
BigBossSparkes
Student
Options
I also have a similar issue on my 43" NU7400 series TV bought early Jan 2019. What I have found is that MPG files do not play with the correct aspect ratio. DivX files do not seem to get listed so cannot be played. However MP4 files do play. What I cannot comment on is supported audio formats within these. I have a 32" Samsung HD TV where the files DO play correctly - and thankfully I also have a Samsung BluRay player which also plays them correctly so not complete stuffed, but it is extremely irritating.

I hope that Samsung will quickly address these issues.
Uelona
First Poster
Options

Just bought NU7472 and found that it does not play the MPEG4. "The feature is temporary unavailable" and that is it.

Funny enough, we watched all these movies on the 5 year old 22" Samsung  (not a  smart tv).

Did set up DLNA, send the content from DLNA server to the TV, the same story. Tried to access files through the TV from the DLNA server, aslo same error. Tried external HDD, USB sticks - same message.

So, I assume, that DLNA streaming is only sending the binary content to the TV  and the TV itself tries to decode it and fails, so all the advices to use DLNA and other over-the-air solutions are just an alternate way to DELIVER the content to the TV, but the TV itself is refusing to play that content, and that is a problem.

"Get the alternate player from a smart hub" is a nice joke.

True indeed, that buying Series 7 is just a spending 600 euro for just a screen, which will "play" video only when receiving the raw data from BluRay or PC through the HDMI cable.

Madasahat
Voyager
Options

I would suggest an application that converts your file on the fly so the TV receives a playable format

0 Likes
MU740
Apprentice
Options

What is not clear to you when people say it was ok on older version and it is not ok on newer one? You keep saying to buy something that converts files on thy fly? Simply tell us - is Samsung goint to address this file and audio format issue? When? Any other comment of yours is simply garbage. Accept that this is problem and tell engineers to address at samsun. Don't play wise there. It is clear that you are not competent. 

MU740
Apprentice
Options
What is not clear to you when people say it was ok on older version and it is not ok on newer one? You keep saying to buy something that converts files on thy fly? Simply tell us - is Samsung goint to address this file and audio format issue? When? Any other comment of yours is simply garbage. Accept that this is problem and tell engineers to address at samsun. Don't play wise there. It is clear that you are not competent. 
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@MU740 wrote:

Samsung made the decision not to support those files or DTS there for it is not a fault.  The chances they will correct this is non existent. The only way to fix it is not to buy a Samsung tv until they start supporting these types of files.  With Netflix,  Amazon Prime,  and normal tv the tv does not need to support other file types,  and it she's them costs in loyalty payments. 

0 Likes
MU740
Apprentice
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@MU740 wrote:

Samsung made the decision not to support those files or DTS there for it is not a fault.  The chances they will correct this is non existent. The only way to fix it is not to buy a Samsung tv until they start supporting these types of files.  With Netflix,  Amazon Prime,  and normal tv the tv does not need to support other file types,  and it she's them costs in loyalty payments. 

Amsung 7 series is absolute garbage. Waste of time and money. This Manahat pathfinder guy seems not going to tell this issue to samsung chiefs. He is simply trying to avoid any reasonable questions with simple minded responces. We need to post it on social networks. Samsung TV is garbage until solves this issue.

Galant1
First Poster
Options

I have contacted Samsung and they replied by saying the the 7100 does support avi, then sent me the following link:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201901/20190102123424170/ENG_KM2DVBARN-2.0.6_181205.0.p...

In short on page 140 its says that it does support avi, but in my experience and the theme of this chat -it DOES NOT.

CyprusGrump
Explorer
Options

Well, .avi is a 'container' format and as such can contain different material...

So yes, it may be able to play .avi if the .avi doesn't contain any material that they have chosen not to support any longer...

I've just re-read this thread (I'm the thread starter) and it is clear to me that Samsung should have a big sign in their shops saying that the Series 7 is fundementally different to the Series 6. In not doing so they have clearly upset a number of loyal customers who have been happy with their Series 6 and wanted t upgrade. Even the sales staff have no idea of the limitations of the product.

I'm guesing there must be hundreds of other customers who got their new set home and have had to find work-arounds or perhaps are using the TV fine on a day-to-day basis not realising that at some point they won't be able to play that video of 'Uncle Joe's wedding' or whatever...

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Galant1 wrote:

I have contacted Samsung and they replied by saying the the 7100 does support avi, then sent me the following link:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201901/20190102123424170/ENG_KM2DVBARN-2.0.6_181205.0.p...

In short on page 140 its says that it does support avi, but in my experience and the theme of this chat -it DOES NOT.

Yes if the soundtrack is Dolby not DTS.