Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

New Q9f not recognising HDD

(Topic created on: 23-10-2018 08:04 PM)
Ph300zx
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Just picked up a 65" Q9F which I'm very happy with, except it doesn't pick up my WD My Passport HDD. I was using this with my old Samsung TV with no issues. Tried it in the One Connect box in every USB port but it doesn't even show up. What am I doing wrong?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Ph300zx
Apprentice
Options

Resolved the issue. Tried a USB stick and the TV picked that up no problem. So plugged the HDD into laptop and reformatted it, now picked up by TV fine. Somehow between disconnecting it and reconnecting it there's been an issue. Thanks for the suggestions though!

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Ph300zx wrote:

Hi,

Just picked up a 65" Q9F which I'm very happy with, except it doesn't pick up my WD My Passport HDD. I was using this with my old Samsung TV with no issues. Tried it in the One Connect box in every USB port but it doesn't even show up. What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried the drive in another device or PC?  If it worked before  then TV should recognize a USB drive and if not then that sounds like a fault.  You must report this to your retailer as a possible fault,  and if in the first 4 weeks look at a replacement.  You do not really want to be having a brand new telly repaired as it should work perfectly.  It could take weeks to sort here and by then the important 4 week period is up. 

Paul

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Hi @Ph300zx

When connecting an external hard drive, use the USB (HDD) port on the TV itself. The user manual suggests that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter. Also, If there are multiple USB devices connected to the TV, the TV might not be able to recognise some or all the devices. USB devices that use high-power input should be connect to the USB [5V, 1A] port.
0 Likes
Ph300zx
Apprentice
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
Hi @Ph300zx

When connecting an external HDD, use the USB (HDD) port on the TV itself. The user manual suggests that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter. Also, If there are multiple USB devices connected to the TV, the TV might not be able to recognise some or all the devices. USB devices that use high-power input should be connect to the USB [5V, 1A] port.

Cheers Andrew, there's no usb port on the TV it uses a One Connect box, I have tried the specified HDD USB on the box and no joy. I've also got a Chrome cast which is using a USB port for power and this is picked up fine (in the HDMI port). Swapped the usb pick up for the chrome cast and it works in all slots, granted it draws less power I imagine. The HDD does light up which suggests it's getting power though .

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
Hi @Ph300zx

When connecting an external hard drive, use the USB (HDD) port on the TV itself. The user manual suggests that you use an external hard drive with its own power adapter. Also, If there are multiple USB devices connected to the TV, the TV might not be able to recognise some or all the devices. USB devices that use high-power input should be connect to the USB [5V, 1A] port.

What rubbish. I have an older 32 inch Samsung smart TV and works with any usb2 drive for films and recordings. If the drive worked before then just check it is formatted to ntfs  and should be seen. USB drives use just  .5 amps which any USB port should give and even USB 2 should give 10 Mbytes which is plenty for playing any film,  when you think  Netflix streams at 3 M bytes.  This is equal to approx 30 m bits. If you think of it another way,  to transfer a 10 meg film from PC to USB drive can take up to 5 mins. That means the drive can read and play any film easily in real time. As I said report it to your retailer so if it is not fixed by Samsung support you can go back to your retailer who are responsible. 

0 Likes
Solution
Ph300zx
Apprentice
Options

Resolved the issue. Tried a USB stick and the TV picked that up no problem. So plugged the HDD into laptop and reformatted it, now picked up by TV fine. Somehow between disconnecting it and reconnecting it there's been an issue. Thanks for the suggestions though!

0 Likes
ronald_peloquin
First Poster
Options

Hi,

thank you for sharing with the community. Tried to do as you mentioned in your reply but the TV still is not picking up the hard drive.

Still not picking up the HDD (My Passport 1TB) on samsung QN65Q7C

Did you use NTFS when you formated your HDD.

0 Likes
escapers
Pioneer
Options

try format on PC using exFAT 

0 Likes