Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 24-12-2017 02:56 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@ad1994 wrote:

Managed to get a £150 live with payment out of Currys. They'd originally offered me it, then said I'd declined it, but my case on 'The Resolver' pushed it through. 

My TV was £750, so £150 is a decent result. I'll get round to posting any useful stuff I sent later this week. 

In the end, I didn't push for the full refund because there's no TV within my price range that is of equal quality and I'm not in the position to add extra money to get a different brand. It was a 43 inch KS7500 so with Samsung only doing the bigger screen sizes, nothing was worth upgrading too.

I do want to thank everyone in this thread too, if anyone needs a bit of guidance I'd be happy to help.

What I will say is keep pushing, because they will try and wriggle out of it, but once my Resolver' case got to the maximum escalation level they caved. It's an incredible shame that you have to really fight for the right result, but don't let them burn you out because you are within your rights to receive something. 

I understand your reasons, which you have explained, but the fact remains: you were entitled to £750. You've let the off the hook and you didn't get the right result.

What TV would he have got for £750 which even warrants being in the same discussion as a KS set? not everyone has got the ££££ to put towards the latest oled or FALD lcd.

Not saying he isnt entitled to the refund but I think getting £750 and spending it on some ips junk or a midrange samsung/hisense VA will leave him in a worse position

imo of course

cheers

ad1994
Pioneer
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@ad1994 wrote:

Managed to get a £150 live with payment out of Currys. They'd originally offered me it, then said I'd declined it, but my case on 'The Resolver' pushed it through. 

My TV was £750, so £150 is a decent result. I'll get round to posting any useful stuff I sent later this week. 

In the end, I didn't push for the full refund because there's no TV within my price range that is of equal quality and I'm not in the position to add extra money to get a different brand. It was a 43 inch KS7500 so with Samsung only doing the bigger screen sizes, nothing was worth upgrading too.

I do want to thank everyone in this thread too, if anyone needs a bit of guidance I'd be happy to help.

What I will say is keep pushing, because they will try and wriggle out of it, but once my Resolver' case got to the maximum escalation level they caved. It's an incredible shame that you have to really fight for the right result, but don't let them burn you out because you are within your rights to receive something. 

I understand your reasons, which you have explained, but the fact remains: you were entitled to £750. You've let the off the hook and you didn't get the right result.

It depends how you define the right result. I could have returned the TV and had £750, or I could save myself another two months of faffing and receive £150. The first option sounds fantastic, until you factor in that there is no SUHD TV I could replace it with  that would fit my setup in terms of screen size. As a result, I'd have been paying £700+ on top of that to get a Q7 or above which could be similiar to the panel, but beyond the size I want for my bedroom. Granted I could've gone for an LG, but I have a Samsung Soundbar with the rear speakers, and overall I enjoy the setup, even if HLG is missing etc. 

To say I got a KS7500 for £600 is enough for me, even if Curry's get to wiggle out. Reality is, rather than spend an extra 700 odd quid to get a similiar TV after fighting for a full refund, I'd rather just keep that 700 odd, take the £150 payment, bank it, and stick it towards a new TV in a couple of years, when I can use that money on a better TV than what's on the market today.

What I will be doing is sticking around this thread to offer advice where I can.

It didn't make sense to endure more hassle, when Currys might not even follow through, just to have a chance at getting a worse TV than what I currently have. 

ad1994
Pioneer
Options
By all means though, I would also advise people to chase that full refund, because they are entitled to it. If you spent £1,500 then you could probably get a great replacement, it's just in my case there wasn't that option.
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ad1994 wrote:
By all means though, I would also advise people to chase that full refund, because they are entitled to it. If you spent £1,500 then you could probably get a great replacement, it's just in my case there wasn't that option.

It is up to the person and £150 is better than nothing, and if happy then fine.

This is still a result but will not affect others who are going down the legal route.

Another thought with Curry's offering a Samsung hub as a fair replacement, but funny how Samsung are really pushing the smart things on their 2018 TV's.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@ad1994 wrote:

It depends how you define the right result. I could have returned the TV and had £750, or I could save myself another two months of faffing and receive £150.

But surely keeping your KS TV means that you still don't have the SmartThings functionality that you were complaining about?

Wenglish1984
Apprentice
Options

UPDATE 

Hello everyone I've just received a new email of response from the Curry's CEO office after I refused to accept their answer to my complaint. They replied 4 weeks ago asking for more time to seek advice and today after chasing them up I got a reply.

They again have stated that they don't feel I should receive a full refund because the TV is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality and not defective. 

She gose onto then offer me a V2 smart things hub and also a  £150 payment This offer is made on a without prejudice basis and in full and final settlement of this matter.

So not sure why Curry's would offer me £150 if they have done nothing wrong you know what Curry's are like they don't give you anything unless they have to.  I am not planning on accepting it. How would I now proceed to take things down a legal route ? Or would you suggest I cut my losses and accept 

Thanks everyone

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Wenglish1984 wrote:

UPDATE 

Hello everyone I've just received a new email of response from the Curry's CEO office after I refused to accept their answer to my complaint. They replied 4 weeks ago asking for more time to seek advice and today after chasing them up I got a reply.

They again have stated that they don't feel I should receive a full refund because the TV is fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality and not defective. 

She gose onto then offer me a V2 smart things hub and also a  £150 payment This offer is made on a without prejudice basis and in full and final settlement of this matter.

So not sure why Curry's would offer me £150 if they have done nothing wrong you know what Curry's are like they don't give you anything unless they have to.  I am not planning on accepting it. How would I now proceed to take things down a legal route ? Or would you suggest I cut my losses and accept 

Thanks everyone

You can see from other posts that Curry's have admitted misrepresentation and I think they are hoping you will except their offer. Your options is the section 75 if you paid via credit card,  or start the legal process as others here have done. There is a more condensed thread ks owners refund more info with all the info. Citizen's advice website have loads of info and again templates. I don't think they would let this actually get to court but try to settle for the least amount before which is what they are doing now. Problem with the law is unlike a decent company who would hold their hands up,  Curry's will try every tactic to put their own customers off taking it any further,  and put as many obstacles as possible in your way and can only be forced to pay full refunds if they lose. They will also try to make it look like it is a daunting task. It is not, and it is designed for the consumer to get redress if a company break consumer law. As we have seen the ADR have already ruled it is misrepresentation and we know two credit companies have also agreed with that,  Bar lays and Tesco.  Curry's will know that and will be advised by their legal team as to the chances of winning in court and that is why they are fighting tooth and nail not to end up in court (it is now mostly done online). The more who start this process the more pressure on them.

Also please remember trusted reviews is another brilliant way to embarrass them and to contact another department (not know how) in Curry's as they respond to 1 star reviews in minute's and could be another avenue,  and inform other people about the respect Curry's have towards their customers. 

Paul

Wenglish1984
Apprentice
Options
Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it I’ll have a really good read of the other thread and start legal proceedings, I can’t use section75 unfortunately as I used a employee discount voucher scheme so purchased vouchers for curry’s.

Would you recommend I reply to that email refusing the offer and state I’m proceeding with court action or just leave it and take action ?

Thanks again

ad1994
Pioneer
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@ad1994 wrote:

It depends how you define the right result. I could have returned the TV and had £750, or I could save myself another two months of faffing and receive £150.

But surely keeping your KS TV means that you still don't have the SmartThings functionality that you were complaining about?

If I'd have got a full refund, I still wouldn't have. The only TV that would've offered this would've meant contributing £300+ more.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Wenglish1984 wrote:
Thanks for your advice I really appreciate it I’ll have a really good read of the other thread and start legal proceedings, I can’t use section75 unfortunately as I used a employee discount voucher scheme so purchased vouchers for curry’s.

Would you recommend I reply to that email refusing the offer and state I’m proceeding with court action or just leave it and take action ?

Thanks again

Dose no harm.  Like a said the info is on the other thread. Citizens Advice has all the info as well. You do need to send a letter of intent again it is explained on the other thread. Any questions there people on here who are going down that route so I am sure they will help.