Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 22-10-2018 12:06 PM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@mstar wrote:

Just to keep ppl informed i have decided to get a refund and look elsewhere/save up for a OLED/QLED tv as for the price i paid on sale £900 i cannot get a like for like replacement.  I got a email from RS to take it back to the store for a full refund.

I have to say the CS has been excellent all quick replys by email and resolved with no drama and no email ping-pongs.

I think i will get a curve Q7,Q8 keep with samsung.  Not sure what people think about these models but i will inspect in currys.  I may see if i can get a refurb with 12months warranty (i know a risk) but no way i am paying 2k for a tv.  

Its your money but I would think carefully, with the Q7/Q8 you are talking a marginal upgrade (if any) losing a 5 year Richersounds warranty and swapping it with 12 months. Regardless of your views on samsung, these TV's can be finicky and be known to break I have had a panel replacement on my Q7 after it started to fail, IMO an extended warranty in this day and age is gold dust, massive risk with refurbs and not one worth taking imo. 

If you are buying new and not refurb then It seems silly refunding and then putting 7-800 down for a qled. A smart things hub can be had £60-£70 if you shop around (if that honestly even bothers you), You can get a roku for less than that for iplayer. Sky has pushed HLG back into 2019 and if you are to believe sources in italy then a fix may still come so you would be basically putting money down for nothing (maybe VRR if you game).

The Oled on the other hand would be a picture improvement so I could understand if you went that way.

Nothing against you mstar mate but It seems some are just going for refunds because they can rather than conisdering what they already have relative to the price they paid. I have seen people getting refunds for there KS sets but because they where so heavily discounted they have been swapping them for LG ips sets as they where in that price range, just because they can accept a HLG signal, its madness!!

cheers

rosscouk
Navigator
Options

Sure, it was Barclaycard.

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@chopples123

I totally agree. The KS sets seem to have been far superior than any others at that price point, then and now still , regarding PQ.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@crashcris wrote:

@chopples123

I totally agree. The KS sets seem to have been far superior than any others at that price point, then and now still , regarding PQ.

I agree as well.  I had a ks9500 which had a brilliant pic,  but was exchanged for the q9f due to recording issues.  The q9f was ok in SDR but HDR was awful,  dull,  blooming and around Black letter box there was a dark shadow.  I sent pics to Samsung and they said it was within spec!  They did refund me though. 

Thrashbarg
Explorer
Options

Success!

Its taken 2 months but today I received a full refund for my KS set and am now enjoying a glorious LG C8 from Richer Sounds. 

Huge thanks to the active members on these forums. Been following since the iPlayer debacle at the end of last year. 

Watching the posts I decided to contact John Lewis in August as it seemed they had seen sense and were offering refunds. I’d like to add to other recent posters, as I don’t want them to enjoy good publicity, and clarify this was not my experience. 

Using a combination of examples from the forum and some of my own additions I emailed John Lewis and was pleased to receive a response within a couple of days agreeing to refund, pending a phone conversation. I called them up and, after some confused rhetoric, they backtracked saying it had been an error. Long story short, after some toing and froing I soon reached the point of no return with just the suggestion that I contact Samsung for a free SmartThings hub. This was unacceptable so I entered a section 75 claim with my credit card provider, Tesco.

Credit where it’s due, my dealings with Tesco were a different story. It took a few weeks to go through their system but everyone I spoke to was helpful and professional. Especially my case manager who was in complete agreement that John Lewis were missselling and all their arguments about it being Samsung’s issue were in breach of consumer law. 

They offered a complete refund but asked that I return the tv to them so they could recoup some of their losses. 

My only regret is that Tesco, rather than John Lewis are out of pocket as they are unable to chase John Lewis for the money. 

But the upshot of all of this is that John Lewis or Samsung will not be enjoying my custom in future and Richer Sounds and Tesco bank will do.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Thrashbarg wrote:

Success!

Its taken 2 months but today I received a full refund for my KS set and am now enjoying a glorious LG C8 from Richer Sounds. 

Huge thanks to the active members on these forums. Been following since the iPlayer debacle at the end of last year. 

Watching the posts I decided to contact John Lewis in August as it seemed they had seen sense and were offering refunds. I’d like to add to other recent posters, as I don’t want them to enjoy good publicity, and clarify this was not my experience. 

Using a combination of examples from the forum and some of my own additions I emailed John Lewis and was pleased to receive a response within a couple of days agreeing to refund, pending a phone conversation. I called them up and, after some confused rhetoric, they backtracked saying it had been an error. Long story short, after some toing and froing I soon reached the point of no return with just the suggestion that I contact Samsung for a free SmartThings hub. This was unacceptable so I entered a section 75 claim with my credit card provider, Tesco.

Credit where it’s due, my dealings with Tesco were a different story. It took a few weeks to go through their system but everyone I spoke to was helpful and professional. Especially my case manager who was in complete agreement that John Lewis were missselling and all their arguments about it being Samsung’s issue were in breach of consumer law. 

They offered a complete refund but asked that I return the tv to them so they could recoup some of their losses. 

My only regret is that Tesco, rather than John Lewis are out of pocket as they are unable to chase John Lewis for the money. 

But the upshot of all of this is that John Lewis or Samsung will not be enjoying my custom in future and Richer Sounds and Tesco bank will do.

Brill,  second section 75 result,  and again against John Lewis. The credit card companies will recoup the money from John Lewis as it was them who where in breech of consumer law.

Just need Curry's to start doing the right thing. 

Can you also post in the ks refund result thread,  and thanks for keeping us informed. 

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
Also how do you find the c8 compared to the Samsung? Is it bright enough? Thanks
Thrashbarg
Explorer
Options

Done. Cheers Paul

Thrashbarg
Explorer
Options

Love it.

True it isn’t quite as bright so I’d be cautious in a room in direct sunlight but the improvement in clarity and colour depth are significant and UHD blu rays look way better. 

Box200
Apprentice
Options

Hi all, is the prerequisite for raising a section 75 claim that the retailer should have already been contacted? I bought a KS tv from curry’s and am awaiting the outcome of the arbitration by another user on this forum before submitting my claim. 

It feels like after lots of deflection, Curry’s have lawyered up and come to a different conclusion to JL and RS. They have even rescinded some of their initial offers.