Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KS Owners refund

(Topic created on: 30-06-2018 11:02 AM)
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

Do all you good people who bought a 2016 Samsung TV know Samsung have stopped supporting it. The promised they would support HLG (BBC Iplayer HDR). This was in the Dec 2016 Trusted Reviews and What Hi Fi. They have not and if you had bought a Panasonic or LG 2016 set you would be able to watch Iplayer Blue Planet 2 in glorious HLG. This is a big issue because HLG looks like the standard for all over the air broadcasting. Samsung are not even supporting a 4K update to Iplayer. The reason looks like it will cost just 5 cents or pence per unit. So my telly I bought in Jan 2017 is deemed as out of date by Samsung!!!!!!

You wrote in your Dec 2016 issue that Samsung were supporting HLG in their 2016 models. Do you know that Samsung have supported their 2017 models but not the 2016 models. I know because the BBC IPlayer Blue Planet 2 will not play in 4K or HLG. It's not good considering Panasonic and LG both do support their 2016 models. It means my KS model I bought in Jan is now deemed out of date by Samsung. It looks like their are royalty fees which Samsung will not pay! Not good.

All you people in the UK can return your KS TVs IF you bought it for the use of the smartthings Extend that will never be coming out for our TVs. ***** is how.

Tell them you want a full refund because they promised that if you bought a KS TV you would get a FREE Smartthings Extend. They proof you will need is easy to find and is the reason you bought this TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMc3V98yzNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSWoUmU5YQ

I bought mine from J Lewis and the Samsung Extend addvert is still there https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1

If you bought your KS TV from currys http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

They both say that you will get a free smartthings extend USB dongle.

Now send you TVs back for a full refund Smiley Happy

All those who bought a Samsung TV in 2016 may have claim for miss selling. It basically means that all you folks who bought the 2016 Samsung units have 2 choices. After Dec 2016 and if you had seen any articles that are press release's about HLG support and that influenced you decision to buy may have a case. For all those owners who read the info from the retailers on their web pages and saw and was influenced by the promise of the smart connect which has not been honoured, then you also have a case for miss selling. If you all spread this in all available media then I am sure the retailers would put pressure on to Samsung to correct this. If nothing else you could end up with nice shiny LG or Panasonic, or the new Philips that all are HLG BBC iplayer compatible, and with the HDR10 plus that again Samsung have still not implemented, you may be best with LG and Dolby Vision.

Also take a copy of the retailers web page before they change the description.

I will try to explain how to get a refund for miss selling (seen how much the LG's have come down). I followed this way and got a full refund or a JS8000.

You need to show that you asked or believed that or influenced by claims made about the capabilities of the TV. With BBC Iplayer HLG it's from the Trusted reviews and What Hi Fi, and any other publications and if you asked the retailer.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#6locceZo3Zf8yi5T.99

you can show you had been informed.

It's different with the smart connect as that is advertised on the main retailers web sites,

https://www.johnlewis.com/electricals/samsung/smart-tv/c9601000048?rdr=1
http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

As the donngle's have not turned up you now claim miss selling, so either go to your retailer or email them with the web page, and explain why you think you were miss sold. Also phone Citizens Advice 03444 111 444 and raise a case (this also gets past on to Trading Standards). Explain that the retailer informed you off the capabilities via their web page information, and either show the page printer or the link, as above.

They will advise and link you to some template letters to send to your retailer.

I had to send a letter of intent to take legal action (template from Citizens Advice) against Curry's but then they gave me a refund.

So mention all the promises from Samsung full support for HLG, Smart Connect, and HDR10+

It will cost nothing to ask and again may bring some pressure on to Samsung.

2,560 REPLIES 2,560
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

and could be used by a scummy retailer who doesn't want to be stuck with hundreds of refunds over £1000 each.

keeping this vague in case you change your mind and want to delete the above public post.. :winking-face:

Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@paul1277 wrote: 
If someone does take this to court and hope someone does it costs £60 when done online. All the evidence is here and the ADR result can still be used as evidence. Again I think it will be settled out of court and I bet they try to gag you as well. For all those who bought with a credit card you have section 75.

It's £105 in my case, based on the original price.  But beware, if you lose the court case, the retailer can recover all their costs from you. CAB warned me of that yesterday.  That's what makes taking them to court too high a risk for me, and is presumably why retailers like John Lewis choose to ignore ADR.

Are you in Scotland?  If so then they may have different rules for Small Claims but in England & Wales they can only claim reasonable (i.e extremely modest) expenses in the event they win, and even then only if the judge agrees to them.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:
The shield and usb could be used as a get out of jail free.

Well, if it gives me the promised SmartThings functionality, that's fine by me. So far Samsung aren't even willing to do this. I've now asked Samsung how they expect me to control the free SmartThings hub that they're offering, and whether the means to control the hub are included in their proposed resolution.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Moily wrote:

@tarbat wrote:

@paul1277 wrote: 
If someone does take this to court and hope someone does it costs £60 when done online. All the evidence is here and the ADR result can still be used as evidence. Again I think it will be settled out of court and I bet they try to gag you as well. For all those who bought with a credit card you have section 75.

It's £105 in my case, based on the original price.  But beware, if you lose the court case, the retailer can recover all their costs from you. CAB warned me of that yesterday.  That's what makes taking them to court too high a risk for me, and is presumably why retailers like John Lewis choose to ignore ADR.

Are you in Scotland?  If so then they may have different rules for Small Claims but in England & Wales they can only claim reasonable (i.e extremely modest) expenses in the event they win, and even then only if the judge agrees to them.

Yes but you can claim the costs of the court fees which for the relative small amount is £60. Also for time and effort.

Thing is it will take just one result and we will have the same as with richer sounds where they paying out to all owners.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@Moily wrote:

Yes, I'm in Scotland. CAB advised me that if I took court action in Scotland, John Lewis may then contest the jurisdiction, and request the case be moved to their local court in England, so doubling my costs 😞  I suspect that's exactly what JL would do, just to give me yet another hoop to jump through.  Note that John Lewis state in their small print that "The Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England"

Hopefully someone in a better position to proceed will take John Lewis to court and set a precedent for the rest of us.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options
That's nasty. Now I see your problem even more clearly. And this isn't helping Mrs Tarbat at the end of the day, the longer it goes on.
0 Likes
Moily
Pathfinder
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@Moily wrote:

Yes, I'm in Scotland. CAB advised me that if I took court action in Scotland, John Lewis may then contest the jurisdiction, and request the case be moved to their local court in England, so doubling my costs 😞  I suspect that's exactly what JL would do, just to give me yet another hoop to jump through.  Note that John Lewis state in their small print that "The Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England"

Hopefully someone in a better position to proceed will take John Lewis to court and set a precedent for the rest of us.

Again, it may be different in Scotland but in Eng&Wales the claimant is asked where they would like the hearing to take place. The defendant can object if it's unreasonable, i.e it's a single person in Cornwall being asked to go to Carlisle, but I would see the Court holding the hearing at a court of your choosing.

Did you buy online or in a shop?  If online then you can choose to start a claim in an E&W court nearest the border, maybe?  That way costs will be neglible and you'll likely win anyway.

(Although my bet would be they would rather capitulate at mediation than run the risk of losing in court and opening the floodgates)

tarbat
Voyager
Options

I can’t believe how unreasonable Samsung are being.  If I accept their resolution, a SmartThings Hub, they’re then expecting me to buy a mobile phone so I can use the hub. A bit like having a TV with no way to control it.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

I can’t believe how unreasonable Samsung are being.  If I accept their resolution, a SmartThings Hub, they’re then expecting me to buy a mobile phone so I can use the hub. A bit like having a TV with no way to control it.

I would suggest that they should be required to supply you with a mobile phone free of charge, and pay for its usage for its lifetime. However, Samsung mobiles can catch fire and explode  so even that's not really acceptable.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@Moily wrote:

The regs are called the 2015 European consumer regs and step the same every where in Europe. If you don't think you would win they don't go for it. We have proof on this forum of misrepresentation and an ADR ruling in our favor. Have you looked online at the costs because when I checked it cost £60 online. 

Paul