Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[KS OWNERS ONLY] Sky to introduce HDR content on Sky Q from March

(Topic created on: 26-07-2018 01:25 PM)
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Seen this article just now https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/02/sky-uk-unveils-next-wave-sky-q-tv-feature-upgrades.htm... and it will be very interesting to see if our televisions get HDR content through Sky Q.

Not seen anything yet about the format but assuming its HLG.

Will keep this thread as up to date as I can.

209 REPLIES 209
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

If Samsung are having problems with HLG on 2018 models i think i will hang fire on my refund and wait until new models come out as even if Samsung fix the KS TV i wont be able to use Sky HDR on it

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

If Samsung are having problems with HLG on 2018 models i think i will hang fire on my refund and wait until new models come out as even if Samsung fix the KS TV i wont be able to use Sky HDR on it

Surely you've realise that a non-Samsung replacement is the only way to go by now? The other manufactuers are NOT having problems with HLG on their 2018 models.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Unfortunately further delay to Skyq HDR  in UK  (now  intend to launch in 2019 along with hands free voice control)  http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2018/07/hdr-will-come-to-sky-q-next-year-voice-control-trial-coming-soon/

Relevant extract from Press Release:

"From here we will scale Sky Q’s growth and continually enhance the service with a strong pipeline of innovation ahead over the next 12 months:  Developing a hands-free TV experience with our next-generation of voice control.  Improve personalisation with addition of individual profiles, enhancing the platform’s datadriven recommendations.  Introduce a kids mode, giving parents peace of mind over what their children can watch.  Double the amount of Ultra-HD (UHD) content available, with HDR launching in 2019.  Roll out Sky Soundbox to Germany and Italy, transforming the TV sound experience for customers in those markets.  Launch Sky Q without the need for a satellite dish in Austria and Italy, opening up new growth opportunities with customers who cannot have a satellite dish".

See Q4 for full details if interested  Sky  Reports .

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks for posting that. Typical of Sky. Add all the secondary and tertiary features are not important like voice control and resuming from other rooms etc - but ignore the FUNDAMENTALs like sound and picture qualty.

It's almost as if they have forgotten that they are a television broadcaster.

Meanwhile, Italian SkyQ customers continue to enjoy their HDR (as long as they don't have Samsung TVs, of course - separate issue).

gfsracing
Navigator
Options
It’s might be here

My tv updates to 1230 today

See also this thread response from Samsung Italy

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@gfsracing wrote:
It’s might be here

See also this thread response from Samsung Italy

https://www.digital-forum.it/showthread.php?194610-Sky-4K-su-Sky-Q-valutazioni-tecniche-e-domande-su...

It does not say anything. Here is the translated post.

By now I almost hope that the 4k HDR for Samsung 2016 delays a little more. Better this exciting novela of a fantomatico improvement of who knows what phantom transmissions. Every day new emotions and twists. Unique lighthouse in the dark Ercolino.

Paul

0 Likes
gfsracing
Navigator
Options
Read the thread it states

I have to intervene directly to avoid that the network is only confusion and for clarify how things are

The sw for the Samsung TV 2016 has been delivered to Sky for testing, then the time of certification and will then be released to users. I'll warn you when everything is ready, since I'm personally managing the question

Regarding the evolution kit is true there will be an update hw, but will cover the TV 2013-2014-2015.

You can report this my post on the net where they ask for precise info.

This is the situation
0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

Re your PM. I can think of a couple of ways of testing to see if the update fixes the HLG problem:

1. Using a websocket client, connect to ws://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/status (use the IP address of the main Sky Q box), and see if "sinkHLG" = true. I use the Chrome websocket extension.
    1.jpg

2. Use an HDFury device (or similar) to inspect the EDID coming from the TV.

I'd test it myself, but I no longer have a KS TV, having got it replaced with a Panasonic FZ952.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

Re your PM. I can think of a couple of ways of testing to see if the update fixes the HLG problem:

1. Using a websocket client, connect to ws://192.168.0.xx:9006/as/system/status (use the IP address of the main Sky Q box), and see if "sinkHLG" = true. I use the Chrome websocket extension.
    1.jpg

2. Use an HDFury device (or similar) to inspect the EDID coming from the TV.

I'd test it myself, but I no longer have a KS TV, having got it replaced with a Panasonic FZ952.

Hi,  how do you rate your new panasoniic compared to the ks?  Thanks

Paul

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Hi,  how do you rate your new panasoniic compared to the ks?  Thanks

Paul

Not wanting to get into a "which TV is best" debate, but in one word - the Panasonic is stunning. The TV's user interface is so more responsive, and the HDR picture quality out-of-the-box without any calibration is amazing.

1.jpg

I was worried about brightness of an OLED TV, but even in the brightest room conditions 50% is bright enough, and I'm using 30% for SDR viewing which equates to 100 NITS.  And I can see why people rate OLED now, the blacks are so inky black.