Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 23-06-2017 10:06 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
frustrated
Journeyman
Options

I am using HDMI arc to the soundbar. The tv is set to bitstream Dolby digital. Using the app I have setup a surround group.

I now have good surround sound, but voices lack bass. It is basically when people speak and sound comes from the centre the sub does not add anything. Does anyone else have this issue? I do get good bass for general sound effects etc.

Does anyone know how to factory reset the soundbar/sub just in case this helps. 

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Press and hold + and - at the same time on. soundbar for 5 seconds.

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@frustrated wrote:

I am using HDMI arc to the soundbar. The tv is set to bitstream Dolby digital. Using the app I have setup a surround group.

I now have good surround sound, but voices lack bass. It is basically when people speak and sound comes from the centre the sub does not add anything. Does anyone else have this issue? I do get good bass for general sound effects etc.

Does anyone know how to factory reset the soundbar/sub just in case this helps. 

I have on the TV HDMI Audio output = bistream (whatver that is or does) and Audio Output = PCM ( it changes to Dolby Digital automatically if my internal source is a Netflix DD 5.1).  

I connect this soundbar and the two M3's via Wifi multichannel. 

The DD sound that comes out is as yours -  low and the voice is tinny.  Surely this can't be normal? 

When I connect a propper AV (with 5.1 speakers),  I do not get this, I get fantastic sound.  Suspect this is due to the k650 soundbar having issues playing DD5.1.

Have done a reset of K650 soundbar but it remains bad (low volume and the voice is tinny) sound.   

Nobody can tell me what these TV audio output settings do and why the sounbar does not have these settings.  

Samsung is quiet on this, but some obscurantists offered their own pseduo explanations to no avail. 

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Hi guys

This is the issue I've been telling you about! Center channel doesn't get  subwoofer reinforcement. From my experience it's not really related directly to Dolby (though it's obvious in dolby tracks as the center channel is a voice channel) but soundbars internal active crossover and bass management. It happens no matter the source, center channel just doesn't get bass support from the subwoofer. 

Moreover, it looks like not every K650 is affected by this, so it's most likely a hardware issue. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Peejay84, 

Sounds like it's not fixed for some. I haven't noticed any of the issues you have but I will re test and confirm over the weekend. 

I have had some connection issues but all in all soundbar sounds good for me. 

0 Likes
frustrated
Journeyman
Options

Can you please confirm how you are using your soundbar. I am using HDMI arc with the surround set up using the app. The tv is set to audio format Dolby digital and HDMI audio format bitstream. The surround works well, but voices from the sound Bar are tinny. 

I thought using HDMI arc in this way would allow the sound Bar to do all of the decoding rather than the tv. Very similar to if a non samsung surround setup wasps being used. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
I am using just wifi/multichannel only with no optical or hdmi and only TV as source.

I have a samsung hub but currently not using this

0 Likes
frustrated
Journeyman
Options

I should also add i am using the tv tuner, tv netflix and tv google play movies rather than external sources.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Maybe a factory reset on everything? For the tv you turn tv off and press mute,mute 182, power to access service menu. You have to have a universal remote to do this, not the little smart remote. Dont change anything, just click on factory reset. 

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

My setup is no HDMI or optical - just WiFi to the soundbar and R1s but with a Samsung Hub

Netfix, Amazon Prime, YouTube via the TVs apps and Live TV (so oldschool!)

Cheap Smsung BluRay player (without the extra wifi ability)

4k BT TV  box over HDMI

What is worth noting is that both the picture and the sound settings on the TV are per source so if youre using bitstream and dolby digital you need to revisit the settings for each source and check what they are...

What I understand is that the HDMI Audio Format settings have no effect on a soundbar conneceted over WiFi

HDMI Audio Format | PCM sends uncompressed stereo (2.0) over HDMI (and also over the optical connection)

HDMI Audio Format | Bitsream sends compressed multichannel audio (either Dolby or DTS) over HDMI

Audio Format is the one that effects the Soundbar over WiFi

Audio Format | PCM sends uncompressed stereo (2.0) to the soundbar

Audio Format | Dolby Digital sends a compressed dolby formatted bitstream that can be 2.0 or 5.1 depending on the source.

On my TV the other two options of DTS and DTS Neo 2:5 are greyed out

To reiterate what I have said before - but with careful use of pseudo not faux 😉

If you are set on Audio Format | PCM the soundbar will create a pseudo surround presentation based on the stereo content.  This always seems to have plenty of bass in the centre channel.

If you are set on Audio Format | Dolby Digital and the source is stereo (2.0) you will get stereo on the soundbar with no reprocessing.  This always seems to have plenty of bass too.

If you are set on Audio Format | Dolby Digital and the source is surround (5.1) you will get discrete surround on the soundbar with no reprocessing.  This may show a lack of bass in the centre channel depending how the Dolby Digital bitstream is authored and how the soundbar interprets this.

It is unusual to only put dialogue in the centre channel - normally it is spread between L C R equally and will appear as if in the centre.  This is a legacy from when 4.0 was a common set up (no centre channel and no sub).  

In the authoring you have to specify what type of speaker the surround mix is intended for - small / medium / large - this changes the way the sub channel is used as often instead of being sent as a discrete channel it is entirely derived in the surround processor.  We dont know exactly how the K650 handles the sub channel but it would appear that it is predominantly derived from the front left and front right channels and not from the centre channel - this is apparent on the test file that Lee circulated a while back - lots of sub on L/R - none on C or surround L/R - but I'm still not convinced this is a real world problem as I have yet to hear actual programme that is weak in centre dialogue...

Comparing the PCM setting to the Dolby Digital setting is like comparing apples and pears - the overall volume will be different as will the surround presentation - and percived bass is very level dependent.

Similarly comparing the K650/R1s with another surround setup is tricky because we dont know how the two systems differ in the way the sub channel is derived.

What I will try and do over the weekend is author a short Dolby Digital test file myself which might help shed some light on this - one where I can control from the metadata how the sub behaves... I will circulate this for others to try out if I can get it to work !!

0 Likes