Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 21-06-2017 07:59 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
scott
Explorer
Options

"That is most likely because that player can re-encode the format to one the K650 can decode."

I don't think that is what is happening Abob, shouldn't I be able to create the surround setup with the tv's multiroom link settings select bitstream-reencode dolby digital and have the dts 5.1 speaker assignment sound check working?

It works that way with dts bluray's but not this sound check file. I think there has to be dolby digital code accompanying the dts code for the player to be able to reencode to dolby digital. 

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@abob36 wrote:
That is most likely because that player can re-encode the format to one the K650 can decode.

Shooting from the hip.  Lol, so his bluray player,  by some magic,  converts dts 5.1 to dd 5.1,  then pure magic;  the soundbar plays non-pseudo surround.

Magic.  

That its even when we know that Samsung released DTS 5.1 for at least a few soundbars (k950,  k850, ...?) very recently. 

Lovely. 

Stuff testing this.  Stuff other posters. That's because you are right,  regardless of facts or objectivity.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

My HW-K650 soundbar and 2 r1's connected wirelessly to my bluray player has been able to play dts 5.1 speaker assignment correctly prior to firmware update. 

When the bluray player creates surround setup with soundbar and 2 radiant 360's the phones multiroom app shows, "this speaker is connected to [AV] Samsung Ultra HD Bluray Player". Is it possible that this configuration could be utilizing the soundbar and the multiroom speakers as ordinary speakers bypassing any need for the soundbar to decode anything? 

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

Hi scott

What we think is happening is as follows:

You play a DTS 5.1 source in your BluRay with the soundbar connected wirelessly - the player decodes the DTS and does one of the following:

Either recodes it to a Dolby 5.1 stream and sends that to the K650 which in turn decodes it to proper discrete 5.1

Or the BluRay decodes the DTS stream to discrete 5.1 and sends them direct to the K650 for output.

It would be nice if one of the Samsung Mods could confirm which is correct....?  Either way it works which is good!!

It is pretty likely that the stream is being reconverted to Dolby 5.1 - that ability already exists in the BluRay player (see specs in the manual) and a Dolby stream (which is compressed) would require less bandwidth to stream to the soundbar than an uncompressed PCM stream.

What we know for sure is the K650 soundbar cannot natively decode DTS 5.1 with the current firmware.  The higher spec soundbars that have had DTS ability added in the latest rounds of updates were all Dolby Atmos capable originally - this would suggest that it is unlikely that the K650 will receive a DTS update in the future.

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

@NotSamsung wrote:

@abob36 wrote:
That is most likely because that player can re-encode the format to one the K650 can decode.

Shooting from the hip.  Lol, so his bluray player,  by some magic,  converts dts 5.1 to dd 5.1,  then pure magic;  the soundbar plays non-pseudo surround.

Magic.  

That its even when we know that Samsung released DTS 5.1 for at least a few soundbars (k950,  k850, ...?) very recently. 

Lovely. 

Stuff testing this.  Stuff other posters. That's because you are right,  regardless of facts or objectivity.

I am not sure why you think that it is magic? The UBD-K8500 can re-encode DTS to Dolby Digital and vice versa. And we have confirmation on only the K950 and K850 bars getting DTS 5.1 support. There has never been any confirmation that the K650 would get the same treatment.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

There's still  chance that they will push DTS update for k650 along with MS650, as for now I'm only getting fake DTS 5.1 on it. 

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

I wouldn't get my hopes up for the K650, and if they did release a firmware with DTS 5.1, watch it revert our recent fix. All we do know is that the K650 is only licensed for DTS 2.0 right now.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options
Yeah probably. Techradar review of MS650 says that Samsung confirmed DTS 5.1 firmware update for MS650, k850 and k950. Samsung salesman at their brand store said the same thing, though my MS650 didn't get it along with Atmos ones.
0 Likes
RyanM
Pathfinder
Options

Hey everyone! Sorry I've not replied sooner. My name is Ryan and I'm one of the Community Managers here. You'll have all probably spoke with @AntS and a couple of others within the team.

Just wanted to drop a message to politely request for everyone to be respectful when discussing and debating. I love how engaging this thread is and how the Community has driven us to provide answers. We're genuinely keen to provide answers and support with any products you guys have. I'm hoping it's not spoilt if we need to edit or remove posts due to tone or language. 

Look out for more to come and I'll be sending some private messages too. For my clarity, if there are any existing/outstanding queries the team can support with, please let me know. Thank you all again for your contributions and feedback - I hope it continues. 

Bryantay
Explorer
Options

Forgive me Ryan if we don't get very enthusiastic when a moderator decides to grace us with their presents here. We've been dealing with these issue pretty much on our own for a year now while Samsung and the few comments from moderators were quick to tell us our issues were in our imaginations.

All the user have been cordial up to this point except for one...hint: NotSamsung. Not to mention the few disrespectful and patronizing comments that have actually come directly from the moderators.

"We're genuinely keen to provide answers and support"

Well if  that’s the case then it would have been nice if you would have tried to offer a few answers and a bit of support over the last 12 months.... or at the very least been an advocate for your customers who have been dealing with very real technical issues.