Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 12-06-2017 11:50 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

I wonder if they fixed center channel bass...

Also does the rear vs bar volume difference decrease as you turn the volume up? It's how it works with ms650. At lower volume soundbar is louder, and after about 50/100 rears become louder than the bar. 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi

I have never had a problem with no sub support for the centre channel and I have tested quite a lot.  Volume balance between the bar and rears during volume increase and decrease is spot on as far as I can tell with the balance being good at all volumes I have tried so far.  I will continue my testing though as it seems to good to be true at the moment lol 

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options
Well there's a big chance that my k650 is just broken in this weird way, although some people here also reported the issue :smiling-face: its samsung we are talking about, so everything is possible as they have no such thing as quality control in their factories.
0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi Peejay

Just for you I have done some centre channel testing to check sub support. I definitely have sub running with centre channel. I wonder if someone e else can also verify this. The best scene to try is the opening of transformers the dark side of the moon. Optimus Prime narrates the intro. His voice is centre channel only and placing your hand on the sub reveals plenty of sub support. It's not so easy to hear in other circumstances. I imagine this is because the human vocal range just doesn't require it all the time. I wonder if your K650 was faulty? 

Lee. 

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Thanks Lee! 

I'll update it and check if anything has changed when I get back home. 

It was very apparent with that Frauhoffer dolby test, where a male reads channel names. Nothing going through center channel gets sub reinforcement. 

I noticed it first when someone here pointed at the issue, though ever before that male voices sound weird to me. 

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

Just tested on my setup and it does look like they have fixed the problem at last.

Initial tests suggest that I will need the Soundbar set lower than the rears but that may just be my keenness to her the surround!!

I've been testing with the official dolby5.1 trailers which sound great and with the original test file that was circulated all those months ago in this thread - I can confirm that there is discrete 5 channel surround with equivalent level from fronts and rear speakers.

Regarding the sub support and centre channel I would agree that on the test file the pink noise has more sub content in the L/R than in the C channel but this will depend on how that file was originally encoded.  I hear the same on the Frauenhofer test file and I am not convinced that the sub is decoding correctly but whether this is an issue on actual programme remains to be seen. 

Note: More often than not in the real world (as opposed to test files) the sub channel is derived locally in the surround processor rather than being sent as a discrete channel in the stream - there is metadata to describe how to create the sub signal (both phase and amplitude) and this is processed by the sound bar.  I think this may explain why people are seeing different results... 

Some thoughts for others testing this:

[1] After the update powere everything down for a few seconds to reset the system - soundbar, TV, radiants and hub

[2] Dont rely on YouTube material to test - most of it is incorrectly encoded and will not give discrete front and rear

[3] Here is a link to the official DOLBY 5.1 trailers which you can download to a memory stick and play via the USB

https://thedigitaltheater.com/index.php/dolby-trailers/

[4] Here are some official Frauenhofer test files with a good explanation of how the sub channel should work: 

https://www2.iis.fraunhofer.de/AAC/multichannel.html

Finally a huge thankyou to Rob for keeping up the pressure on Samsung - without your considerable efforts I dont think we would have got this update.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

The easiest way to test sub support for me is by putting a hand on the membrane :smiling-face: its always completely still during center channel tests, no matter the file I use,no matter the source (TV dolby test files, dolby ac3 file played directly from Multiroom app) . 

It's like the active crossover doesn't work for center channel at all. 

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

Peejay - do you get sub support on the discrete rear channel with the test files?

On my test with the Frauenhofer file the lack of center chanel support is very clear on the speech idents and is the same on the rear channels - the sub is only kicking in on front left and right

If I go to audio / expert settings / audio format and set this to PCM instead of dolby digital the sub supports all channels (but of course you dont get discrete rears) - this suggests that this is related to the dolby decoding.

What I am not sure of is whether this is an issue or a feature - it may be exactly how the system is designed to work - only time will tell if it is a problem on normal broadcast or DVD mterial...

0 Likes
DreamTallStart
Journeyman
Options

Hi Guys, 

Wow, I'm blown away my initial tests this morning seem very promising indeed. 

It may be an idea for someone to confirm how to best set it all up to work with WiFi. It's been that long since customer support had talked me through the process that I'd almost forgotten myself, and believe you me they talked me through it a lot of times! I've selected PCM and Dolby, is that correct? It sounds great, but I just want to be sure I've done it correctly. 

Anyway I set it up this morning using the latest soundbar update.  I played The Revenant through my Samsung 4K player, I find the Indians attack just after the opening scenes on the fur traders is a good test for me and I must say it seems to be working even better than when set up using the optical workaround. The sound effects from the rears were truly impressive with drums, shots, horses, voices and screams heard clearly across all channels I felt truly immersed in the middle of the scene with the rears and soundbar at similar levels. 

Well done Robbienobs, this would not have been possible without your persistence and to everyone else who provided great support. 

Let's hope it all works when I switch it back on again later this evening! 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi

You need bitstream and dolby mate. 

Lee

0 Likes