Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

External subtitles not working UE32M5502

(Topic created on: 02-03-2019 06:09 PM)
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

Hello,

Just purchsed a new smart tv, model UE32M5502 and it seems it does not load external subtitles when the movie is streamed via DLNA: plex, serviio. My subtitles are .SRT, in the same folder as the movie is, with the same name.

Tried with adding language code in file name, it does not work either.

How on earth it fails with such a basic thing? Anyone having an idea what to do? Is it the TV, is it the dlna server not knowing how to pass the subtitle?

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
Watcher
First Poster
Options

I recently bought Samsang UA82MU7000WXXY 82" smart TV, even when the srt file has the same name and in the same folder, updated to most recent available software etc...still no subtitle display when streaming from SCSS DLNA server. Please help!

elhm
First Poster
Options

The same here. Just bought UE65MU8002 and with a recent software I can't load any external subtitles when playing mkv from Twonky Server. Only embeded subtitles works.

Nazar78
First Poster
Options

What is happening to Samsung software department? The support is also clueless.

I just upgraded from 55un7500 to 65nu7400. Firstly no more DTS, ok they want to cut cost? Then subtitles no longer showing in DLNA streams. Very disappointed even my much older Samsung Blu-Ray can display subtitles from DLNA streams. I should have gotten an Android TV instead. I was planning on the flagship model but this is gonna be my last Samsung TV if they don't fix this soon. Sorry for the frustration 😞

roastedwookie
Voyager
Options
It seems the NU7xxx models lack DTS. Considering some cost quite a lot, it's plain pathetic. I will for sure a avoid them for my next purchase! I won't pay 700-800 eur for 4k Samsung TV without dts!
roastedwookie
Voyager
Options

Use Serviio as dlna server and assign a dhcp reserved ip for the tv in your router. Then, in Serviio, you have the possibility to choose what type of dlna profile to assign to the tv. Make sure you pick Samsung J series. Subs should work after this. Also, in Serviio, make sure you disable transcoding and disable subtitle extraction.

0 Likes
Meshuggahlad
First Poster
Options

I've just purchased a Samsung UE49NU8000 TV and found the same issue. I've found that if I have the movie file (and subtitle file with the same name in the same folder) on my android phone then I can use Bubbleupnp to play the file on the TV with subtitles. There is no way of toggling the subtitles on or off once the movie is playing. I have also found the app Server Cast which does allow toggling of the subtitles whilst playing (it takes a few seconds as on toggling them the file loads again and then restarts at the same point in the movie). Ignore that the app warns that the TV shows it won't accept subtitles. Both apps require me to browse for the movie using the apps own file browser, I can't just select the file in my usual file browser (ES) and play a movie with subtitles. I hope this helps someone!

0 Likes
Aakash
First Poster
Options

I have started hating Tizen OS. It cost me 70k rupees for the expensive QLED Q60RAK 43 inch TV and now a simple external subtitle file doesn't work. My cheaper sony tv (cost just 24k) with linux OS supports almost any subtitle whilst this TV cannot. I am feeling really upset with samsung's Tizen OS, intially I didn't care about much about smart feature so went for this TV just for picture quality. But I didn't expect this not supporting simple function inspite of consumers paying such huge price. Samsung needs to provide a quick fix otherwise the future doesn't look for Tizen OS.

0 Likes
Janjoslx
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone!
There's a SOLUTION!... and it's simple:

Edit your subtitles with Notepad.
Press "Save as" and near the "save" button there's a box saying "Enconding: ANSI".

Change "Enconding: ANSI" to "Enconding: UTF-8" and save the file.
That's it!
Your TV can read subtitles again. :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Jack2127
First Poster
Options
I have The same problem. I buy qled 67r. The subs not work WTF!!!
0 Likes
Aakash
First Poster
Options

Dont worry. I have found the fix and its simple. Just rename the subtitle file to exactly same as your media file name that contains movies, Web series etc and it will work. Its pathethic I know but thats the only solution since samsung and its Tizen to blame.

0 Likes