Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby Digital Plus changes to PCM

(Topic created on: 09-02-2018 02:59 PM)
JaimeFdezCaro
Explorer
Options

Hello Samsung Community,

I have a SAMSUNG UE55MU7005TXXC and a LG SJ9 (supporting DD+ and ATMOS and connected throught HDMI ARC).

My problem is related with Dolby Digital Plus, let me explain it on detail:

- I select an emision with Dolby Digital Plus (Netflix or similar)

- I configure DD+ on Audio Menu and everything is OK now.

Problem start when I jump to another emission not supporting DD+:

- My TV changes to PCM Audio (I consider that it should jump to DD, if available, because is better quality and was the main preference on the system before DD+)

- When I go back to a DD+ emission then PCM is maintainted, not changing again to DD+ as was configured before, so I need to go to Audio Menu to configure DD+ again.

This erratic behaivour makes DD+ very unpleasant to use.

One possible firmware fix/solution is to change the Audio Menu from Current Selection:

- PCM

- DD

- DD+

- DTS HD

- DTS NEO 2.5

TO:

- PCM

- DOLBY/BITSTREAM (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos)

- DTS (HD, 2.5)

So if I select Dolby, the TV will choose automatically the best option available (DD or DD+) if emission and soundbar supports it.

41 REPLIES 41
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

wrote:

Hello Samsung Community,

I have a SAMSUNG UE55MU7005TXXC and a LG SJ9 (supporting DD+ and ATMOS and connected throught HDMI ARC).

My problem is related with Dolby Digital Plus, let me explain it on detail:

- I select an emision with Dolby Digital Plus (Netflix or similar)

- I configure DD+ on Audio Menu and everything is OK now.

Problem start when I jump to another emission not supporting DD+:

- My TV changes to PCM Audio (I consider that it should jump to DD, if available, because is better quality and was the main preference on the system before DD+)

- When I go back to a DD+ emission then PCM is maintainted, not changing again to DD+ as was configured before, so I need to go to Audio Menu to configure DD+ again.

This erratic behaivour makes DD+ very unpleasant to use.

One possible firmware fix/solution is to change the Audio Menu from Current Selection:

- PCM

- DD

- DD+

- DTS HD

- DTS NEO 2.5

TO:

- PCM

- DOLBY/BITSTREAM (Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos)

- DTS (HD, 2.5)

So if I select Dolby, the TV will choose automatically the best option available (DD or DD+) if emission and soundbar supports it.

Hi @JaimeFdezCaro  you seem to have found a solution, even if not ideal.  Think there is an issue with re-encoding when Dolby Digital Plus not supported via ARC on the apps when you configure DD+ on Audio Menu.  Some limitations with the ARC  system though the technology advancing on future sets/soundbars. https://https://www.lifewire.com/audio-return-channel-1846845www.lifewire.com/audio-return-channel-1...

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

JaimeFdezCaro
Explorer
Options

Hi James,

Thanks for your answer. Well, I will not call it a solution, but re-configuration of DD+ as Output each time an emission is capable because there is some issue/unknown behaivour with the TV between DD+ and DD channels/apps. Is not appliable just to Netflix but also to Rakuten 'TV PLUS'. 

In other hand, I have not been able to get DD+ active on any video I tried on Youtube APP. Any hints or video recommendation to try?

I know those ARC limitations and eARC tech coming (maybe, if hardware allows it, we can get eARC through a firmware/software update!).

But in any case, my issue is related to a SW/FW issue and I hope Samsung can fix it.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

wrote:

Hi James,

Thanks for your answer. Well, I will not call it a solution, but re-configuration of DD+ as Output each time an emission is capable because there is some issue/unknown behaivour with the TV between DD+ and DD channels/apps. Is not appliable just to Netflix but also to Rakuten 'TV PLUS'. 

In other hand, I have not been able to get DD+ active on any video I tried on Youtube APP. Any hints or video recommendation to try?

I know those ARC limitations and eARC tech coming (maybe, if hardware allows it, we can get eARC through a firmware/software update!).

But in any case, my issue is related to a SW/FW issue and I hope Samsung can fix it.

Hi Jamie, I would need to get back to you on that but as far as aware you won't find mny Youtube Videos which support DD+.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Beachman
Apprentice
Options

@JaimeFdezCarowrote:

Hi James,

FYI

Im having the exact same issue on my Samsung the Frame TV (European latest firmware). This is defenitly software BUG

If I choose DD+ in Netflix and then change to none DD+ capable app it will revert to PCM instead of DD. However if I choose DD in Netflix then it will remember my setting and NOT revert to PCM in other apps. 

0 Likes
Valeale
Apprentice
Options

Since it does not seem that we can count on a fix here has anyone created a smart solution by running any automation tool like smarthings for example to make it a oneclick operation? I have an ue55mu6449 and it is pain to switch all the time from pcm to dd or dd+  using plex, Amazon and Netflix.

cwalger
First Poster
Options

I experience the same issue with a ks8000.  I hope this will be addresed in firmware by Samsung - this problem is all over forums on the net. 

0 Likes
vangeliis
Pathfinder
Options

Hi,

Same problem with my UE406470U (U.K. model). To me it looks like the TV automatically reverts to PCM (as defualt) when the audio stream changes (ie from DD to DTS to AAC ...).

Instead it would be very usefull if the TV software would automatically detect the type of audio stream and which to the equivelant codec.

The addition of an "AUTO" option where the TV just passes through the audio to the A/V Reciever or soundbar would be very welcome.

I hope someone from Samsung is following this thread and feeds this back to the Tizen developers.

Vangeliis

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Currently running a Q7 with a HWMS650 sound bar.

I watched Blade Runner 2049 on ppv the other night, and set the sound up for DTS Neo2.5. When I revert to watching 'normal' TV the sound reverted back to Dolby with soundbar turned off, but when I watched another film with soundbar on the sound settings still showed DTS Neo as being selected.

Stinuz86
Student
Options

Same issue here. And also same behavior when using optical! So it's not only ARC related. Can Samsung respond if there will come any firmware fix ? Thanks