Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't turn on my new TV after power cut

(Topic created on: 27-11-2018 04:55 AM)
Maggie55
First Poster
Options

We can't seem to turn on our new TV after having a short power cut. This is the TV we have: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49MU6400UXXU but we can't seem to find a power button on the TV anywhere,or even know if it has one because we have felt all around the TV and can't find a power button. EDIT: We have now found the power button behind where the red light usually comes on, we have pressed the button and pressed and held it but it still doesn't come on. We have also checked that all wires are plugged in. The red light on the TV is off completely. Usually the red light is on and we turn on the TV using the remote control. We have tried both the normal and Smart TV control to turn it on, and plugged in the TV power cable to another outlet because we thought maybe the plug socket wasn't working. But still nothing seems to turn our TV on. Can anyone advise us what to do?

Thank you, it is very much appreciated as we are all clueless and very old people who do not understand new TV's!

From Margaret.

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@Maggie55wrote:

We can't seem to turn on our new TV after having a short power cut. This is the TV we have: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49MU6400UXXU but we can't seem to find a power button on the TV anywhere,or even know if it has one because we have felt all around the TV and can't find a power button. EDIT: We have now found the power button behind where the red light usually comes on, we have pressed the button and pressed and held it but it still doesn't come on. We have also checked that all wires are plugged in. The red light on the TV is off completely. Usually the red light is on and we turn on the TV using the remote control. We have tried both the normal and Smart TV control to turn it on, and plugged in the TV power cable to another outlet because we thought maybe the plug socket wasn't working. But still nothing seems to turn our TV on. Can anyone advise us what to do?

Thank you, it is very much appreciated as we are all clueless and very old people who do not understand new TV's!

From Margaret.

Sounds broke.  Contact your retailer for advice and repair. 

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

Worth at least checking the fuse in the plug.

AntS
Options

Hi @Maggie55. :robothappy: Did you manage to get this sorted?

0 Likes
DaleF
Student
Options

I'm not an expert or technician but this worked for me, twice, after electrical outages.  Unplug the tv and disconnect from cable/antenna.  Push and hold the button on tv (there is only one on mine) for 2 minutes or more. This is to dissapate any residual current remaining in the tv. Now let it sit,  overnight if necessary.  Plug in, mine worked. I learned this the first time by taking it back to where I bought it. Now I have it on a surge protector and I hope that prevents the problem.

Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

Some things that might have happened: 

1) The power outage has physically destroyed the TV.  This can happen because suddenly everything turning off all at same time can cause a spike due to back EMF, or the power was cut because of a power surge.  Check the fuses, and make sure the power outlet is still working by plugging something else into it, otherwise it needs repairing.

2) The sudden removal of power has corrupted something in the TVs non-volatile memory, similar to just yanking the plug from the wall powering a computer, if the TV was writing something to memory at the time the sudden power loss stops it halway and it can cause errors when the TV tries to start back up.   If there is an override method to reset the TV to factory defaults this will often resolve the problem.  Sometimes complex electronic products have a reset pin you can push with a paper clip as you power on to trigger a factory reset.  Not sure about Samsung TVs.  If you can't factory reset it then a replacement motherboard/circuit board might be required, or a technician might be able to reprogram the board.

3) The power cut didn't cause the problem, and you would have found the same thing if you had turned the TV off at the mains for any reason.  Electronics can go bad or components become borderline, which can mean they continue okay until power is removed.  A repair will be required.

Regards

Phil

RussellR
First Poster
Options

Another thought - was it actually an external powercut, or did the TV develop a fault and tripped the circuit breaker/fuse in the mains distribution board?

And - it was mentioned that the original poster found the on/off switch on the TV and held it down but nothing happened.  I've just tried that on my own fully working set and also found that this did not switch the set on.  You need to press the button and immediately release it.

0 Likes
DaleF
Student
Options

A surge protector did NOT prevent the problem, and I have had it recur again.  Next I'll try an uninteruptable power supply.  It has failed again today, so I hope it will run tomorrow, because nothing I do now will make it work.

0 Likes
MikeyD
First Poster
Options
This worked for me!!!! Just had a power outage and my wife convinced me the T.V. was a goner after not being able to turn it on after repeated plugging and unplugging. I read this, unplugged the T.V. and all HDMI cables attached, then held power for a minute or two. Viola it turned right on! Thank you so much man, you saved me some serious ca$h!!!
Keith14590
First Poster
Options

I’m having the same problems. Tried unplugging the 1 hdmi cable connected and held the power button down for two minutes then plugged in power and nothing. I repeated and will let it sit overnight and try again. 

0 Likes