Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN and issues with HDR

(Topic created on: 11-11-2018 08:17 AM)
Pon11
Journeyman
Options

I have now been using my brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN for couple of weeks and only couple of days ago started to watch HDR content using the built in apps in the device. Almost immediately (especially when watching dark scenes of Ozark in Netflix) I noticed that there is something weird going on with every HDR content when the subtitles are enabled.

The problem is the following. Every time a subtitle appears on the screen, the device brightens up the details in the screen automatically as if it would try to automatically correct the brightness and contrast in the screen to match the bright light produced by the appearing subtitles. This is really annoying and makes watching of HDR content almost unwatchable. Non-HDR content does not have the same problem when subtitles are enabled and also if I turn off the subtitles completely the problem is gone also with HDR content. It should not however be the "fix" to just watch without subtitles as people including me do watch non-native content with subtitles.

Something I also tried to do was to set the colour of the subtitles to something else than white (currently yellow with black boxes around it) but the dynamic brightness / contrast adjustment is still there every time subtitles appear in the screen. Oh and just to be clear the latest firmware 1153 updated on 8 November.

I think there is also a similar kind of problem described in the topic linked below but I saw that discussion going nowhere so decided to open a new topic just for this problem: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Brand-new-55-Q9FN-terrible-panel-quality/td-p/577...

"...if there's some white/bright element either from the scene, or even external (volume display, subtitles, etc.) it seems to brighten that corner of the screen and suddenly you see all this detail in the scene"

Am I alone with this issue and is Samsung doing anything to correct this? I feel like I should be returning the device because I don't feel like a satisfied customer at the moment.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Pon11 wrote:

I received information from technical support today that unfortunately the only fix so far would be to reduce the local dimming to low and to ensure that the latest firmware 1153.3 is installed. To me this is not a fix as those fix nothing. They also mentioned that Samsung is aware of this and there might be a software update eventually to fix this but there is no more information about this. I am not convinced at all.

I have seen a number or review's and they don't seem to mention this problem. It may be an issue with the panel but Samsung are not admitting to it. One option if in the first 30 days tell you retailer that it is a known fault with Samsung and they have no fix yet and ask for a replacement or refund. I would say it is a bit risky waiting for Samsung when they have no fix in the pipeline. 

What ever you do it is important to still report it as a known fault to you retailers. 

Paul

View solution in context

74 REPLIES 74
Pon11
Journeyman
Options

I also received information from Samsung support that this is a known issue with the software with no fix currently. Changing any settings does not seem to remove the problem.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Pon11 wrote:

I have now been using my brand new 65" 2018 Q9FN for couple of weeks and only couple of days ago started to watch HDR content using the built in apps in the device. Almost immediately (especially when watching dark scenes of Ozark in Netflix) I noticed that there is something weird going on with every HDR content when the subtitles are enabled.

The problem is the following. Every time a subtitle appears on the screen, the device brightens up the details in the screen automatically as if it would try to automatically correct the brightness and contrast in the screen to match the bright light produced by the appearing subtitles. This is really annoying and makes watching of HDR content almost unwatchable. Non-HDR content does not have the same problem when subtitles are enabled and also if I turn off the subtitles completely the problem is gone also with HDR content. It should not however be the "fix" to just watch without subtitles as people including me do watch non-native content with subtitles.

Something I also tried to do was to set the colour of the subtitles to something else than white (currently yellow with black boxes around it) but the dynamic brightness / contrast adjustment is still there every time subtitles appear in the screen. Oh and just to be clear the latest firmware 1153 updated on 8 November.

I think there is also a similar kind of problem described in the topic linked below but I saw that discussion going nowhere so decided to open a new topic just for this problem: 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Brand-new-55-Q9FN-terrible-panel-quality/td-p/577...

"...if there's some white/bright element either from the scene, or even external (volume display, subtitles, etc.) it seems to brighten that corner of the screen and suddenly you see all this detail in the scene"

Am I alone with this issue and is Samsung doing anything to correct this? I feel like I should be returning the device because I don't feel like a satisfied customer at the moment.

I think you answered that question when you said you read the other thread. There are lots of threads here with lots of unhappy customers. 

Not heard of that issue but as I tell others,  always report to your retailers as soon as possible,  especially in the first 28 days,  as a fault.  If Samsung can not fix then you can ask for replacement or refund. 

Paul

Pon11
Journeyman
Options

Clouding / BloomingClouding / BloomingClouding / BloomingClouding / Bloomingwith subtitles.pngwithout subtitles.png

Uploaded few pictures trying to show the effect. I could not upload a video easily enough but the two pics below show the brightness increasing when you look at the shoulder area of the guy lightening up when subtitles appear.

0 Likes
Pon11
Journeyman
Options

I received information from technical support today that unfortunately the only fix so far would be to reduce the local dimming to low and to ensure that the latest firmware 1153.3 is installed. To me this is not a fix as those fix nothing. They also mentioned that Samsung is aware of this and there might be a software update eventually to fix this but there is no more information about this. I am not convinced at all.

Solution
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Pon11 wrote:

I have seen a number or review's and they don't seem to mention this problem. It may be an issue with the panel but Samsung are not admitting to it. One option if in the first 30 days tell you retailer that it is a known fault with Samsung and they have no fix yet and ask for a replacement or refund. I would say it is a bit risky waiting for Samsung when they have no fix in the pipeline. 

What ever you do it is important to still report it as a known fault to you retailers. 

Paul

Pon11
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the reply!

I have purchased this directly from Samsung and have already stated to them that this is clearly a fault in the product and they need to fix this. Otherwise they need to offer replacement or refund. One thing I am now waiting for more information is that have they actually received many reports of this issue because like you mentioned I have not read much about this and none of the reviews mentioned this problem. Thus I am kind of unsure whether this is a software related issue afterall and this might as well be panel related. But the most important thing is that I have now reported directly to Samsung as the device was purchased from them directly (less than 30 days ago).

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Pon11 wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

I have purchased this directly from Samsung and have already stated to them that this is clearly a fault in the product and they need to fix this. Otherwise they need to offer replacement or refund. One thing I am now waiting for more information is that have they actually received many reports of this issue because like you mentioned I have not read much about this and none of the reviews mentioned this problem. Thus I am kind of unsure whether this is a software related issue afterall and this might as well be panel related. But the most important thing is that I have now reported directly to Samsung as the device was purchased from them directly (less than 30 days ago).

I would suggest make absolutely clear before the 30 day deadline you want a replacement or money back and a written guarantee that it will be resolved and if not a full refund in the future and give time limits. Always get a name and have in writing and date. 

Paul

0 Likes
KUTlime
Apprentice
Options
This could solve your problem:
https://kutlime.wordpress.com/2018/11/13/the-state-of-the-art-reflection-about-hdr-samsung-great-har...

In addition, I see this problem only at "Film" (or Movie, I don't use English at my TV) and not with "Natural" picture mode. Try it.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@KUTlime wrote:
This could solve your problem:
https://kutlime.wordpress.com/2018/11/13/the-state-of-the-art-reflection-about-hdr-samsung-great-har...

In addition, I see this problem only at "Film" (or Movie, I don't use English at my TV) and not with "Natural" picture mode. Try it.

LSO why can't they put a second HDMI audio out to pass through bitstream just like the Panasonic and Samsung and other blu ray players,  rather than use the restrictive ARC,  or hope they upgrade to EARC? 

0 Likes