Support

Open search

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

Apprentice

Thank you for your answer

I confirmed this problem is general asking the same question to other people (with q9fn or q8fn/q8dn). It seems is a problem with the local dimming algorhytm of samsung

To make it more practical; these are some videos of the same problem by Vincent Teoh (HDTVtest)

Note the residual glow AND the backlight brightness fluctuation of the WHOLE pannel when the subtitles appear

Minute 5:10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suq-2Z5dAkA&t=

Minute 3:38 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tuBrVSTTMs&t=

Apprentice

Great, so it’s a real issue, we’re all experiencing it....but has anyone reported it to Samsung directly? It doesn’t seem like anyone’s spoken to them, confirmed they’re aware of the issue or what their official response is 😑

Apprentice

It seems they are working in a solution in next firmware updates but I'm not sure. Any Samsung moderator could confirm this?

Apprentice

I won't hold my breath..

Explorer

Just started Narcos Mexico and cannot see the brightness change effect with the (hardcoded) subtitles anymore.

Apprentice

Hey there,

Are you watching this movie from Netflix? Is it in HDR qualify

Explorer

Yep.

Apprentice

Well I watched first episode in Netflix with hdr and I still see the problem. Could you tell me your settings please? Did you have the problem before and know is solved? How?

Explorer
Oh, that is interesting, I did have the issue before, yes, in Ozark for example. But I haven't tested it again with my current firmware (1153). Did you add subtitles? I was only speaking about the hardcoded ones when they speak Spanish. Do you have a timestamp where you see it clearly, so that i can compare? I use the standard picture mode, Backlight 20 in the evening, 50 at daytime. Brightness 0, Contrast 50, Sharpness 10, Colour 25, Tint 0, Digital Clean View: Auto, Auto Motion Plus: Auto, Local Dimming: Standard, Contrast Enhancer: Low, Ambient Light Detection: Off.
Apprentice

Hey. Thanks for your answer

I'm talking about the general subtitles . For example activate English subtitles at chapter 1 and go to minute 15:50 when they are inside the house taking. See the scene in dark room. Don't you have the problem with the brightness?

Top Liked Authors