Support

Open search

Brand new 55 Q9FN, terrible panel quality

Apprentice

Yes - noticed that one too - but it seems theirs was resolved in a past firmware update... ours however still seem to be exhibiting the issue on more recent firmware so I’m not sure it’s the same issue (or maybe they reintroduced that bug in a newer firmware release?)

Big Cheese

@KA366 wrote:

Yes - noticed that one too - but it seems theirs was resolved in a past firmware update... ours however still seem to be exhibiting the issue on more recent firmware, so I’m not sure it’s the same issue (or maybe they reintroduced that bug in a newer firmware release?)


I had a 65KS9500 which had a really good bright picture. But it would not do scheduled recording and was told a known issue. Samsung changed it for the Q9F and what a disappointment. HDR was dull, it had really bad banding and was a far let down compared to the KS. I sent pictures to Samsung, and they said they were within spec! I did get a full refund from Samsung. On the q9fn HDR programs should make you say wow, like the KS did. If it does not then suspect it may be an issue, and always report to your retailer as a fault. You pay a lot of money for a premium TV and you should be stunning.

Paul

Explorer

The Q9FN is much better than the KS9500, it has double the peak brightness and also full backlight, so no edge light like the KS9500. My 55" Q9FN has an incredible picture, HDR is stunning with most sources I viewed so far. However that dark scene issue is definitely a fault that needs to be fixed urgently.

Big Cheese

@ncri wrote:

The Q9FN is much better than the KS9500, it has double the peak brightness and also full back light, so no edge light like the KS9500. My 55" Q9FN has an incredible picture, HDR is stunning with most sources I viewed so far. However, that dark scene issue is definitely a fault that needs to be fixed urgently.


The KS9500 is back lit and was very good, but would not do scheduled recording. The replacement Q9F was edge lit and awful, and got sent back. My friend has a Hinsense 6800 and that was brighter. It must have been a faulty panel, but Samsung said it was within spec. They still agreed to refund me.

Paul

Explorer

Ah, Q9F you wrote, that is the older model? Thought you refered to the Q9FN. Yes, that should be edge lit then. And oh yes, I also realise now the KS9500 is back lit. Sorry, my bad. ;-)

Explorer

Actually the info on the web is confusing about the Q9F, I found some pages saying it has full back light.

Big Cheese

@ncri wrote:

Actually the info on the web is confusing about the Q9F, I found some pages saying it has full back light.


The 2017 Q9F is edge lit. The 2018 Q9FN is backlit, FALD.  The thing is some are finding it does not do as advertised. I must say the KS9500 was a brill picture and I was very dissapointed with the Q9F.

Paul

Apprentice

Have aswell a Q7F 2017 model and I have the same problem with HDR looking dark on Netflix and Amazon. Is a known problem with Samsung tv's but they just play stupid like is the first time when they hear about it...

Other than that is a brilliant tv for 4k and full hd content...

Big Cheese

@Ionut_1 wrote:

Have aswell a Q7F 2017 model and I have the same problem with HDR looking dark on Netflix and Amazon. Is a known problem with Samsung tv's but they just play stupid like is the first time when they hear about it...

Other than that is a brilliant tv for 4k and full hd content...


I had the ks9500 which was very good,  HDR was brilliant but it would not do scheduled recording and no iPlayer 4k or hlg,  and no smart connect. Samsung replaced it with the Q9F and normal SD was good but HDR was awful,  dull and terrible banding. Films with letter box had a dark shadow around the letter box,  it was like looking through a tube. I sent Samsung pictures and they said it was within spec!  They did give me a full refund though. I will find it hard to to trust them in the future. 

Paul

First Poster

I had the same exact problem, 

 

go to the eco settings and turn off "Detection of ambient light"

That fixed it for me.

Top Liked Authors