Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 17-01-2018 02:37 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Chris325 wrote:

I have written to JL Head Office and am waiting for a response.

@I think the more letters we send the more these companies will listen and JL have offered @hdmi a full refund so hopefully you get the same response eventually.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

It's also putting these concerns on the AV forums KS8000/9000. There is quite a lot of the same there. Their also I think people from the industry aso muddying the water a bit, so more from here the better.

Paul

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

It's also putting these concerns on the AV forums KS8000/9000. There is quite a lot of the same there. Their also I think people from the industry aso muddying the water a bit, so more from here the better.

Paul

Indeed. One user there has several contacts in the industry and is extremely helpful. I am flying the flag for HLG over there but their DirectTV broadcaster has also started full and proper HLG broadcasts (unlike Sky, who is still years away from this) so problems with HLG are very much on the radar. (Most users there are reporting that HLG in live broadcasts works, but some have issues).

For those who aren't familiar with Samsung's crazy model numbering, our KS7000 is the same model as the American KS8000. Here is a break-down of the 2016 range:

KS9800 (USA)KS9500 (USA)KS9000 (USA)KS8500 (USA)KS8000 (USA)
KS9500 (Europe)
KS9800 (Europe 88")
KS9000 (Europe)KS8000 (Europe)KS7500 (Europe)KS7000 (Europe)
BendyBendyFlatBendyFlat
FALDEdge LEDEdge LEDEdge LEDEdge LED
Single Tuner (USA)
Twin Tuners (Europe)
Single Tuner (USA)
Twin Tuners (Europe)
Single Tuner (USA)
Twin Tuners (Europe)
Single TunerSingle Tuner
Picture-in-Picture (not USA)Picture-in-Picture (not USA)Picture-in-Picture (not USA)Picture-in-Picture (not USA)Picture-in-Picture (not USA)
Y-StandY-StandY-StandBranch stand (feet)Branch stand (feet)
PQI 2700PQI 2400PQI 2300PQI 2200PQI 2100
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Been doing some googling to see when or if BBC will do their next HLG trial but so far found nothing, I suppose its a bit too early for that.

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Been doing some googling to see when or if BBC will do their next HLG trial but so far found nothing, I suppose its a bit too early for that.

I wonder if BBC will broadcast World Cup in HLG?  

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I sent Curry's a message on facebook asking about their miss selling of the smart connect and got this response,       Comments

Currys PC World
Currys PC World Hi A^^^^,

I understand your frustration!!

I understand that a decision was made recently by Samsung not to introduce the smart things dongle, which would have offered the potential to control various aspects of your home through the television.

Have you considered using a Samsung Smarthub as an alternative resolution?

https://www.currys.co.uk/.../samsung-smartthings-hub...

Richard
Manage
CURRYS.CO.UK

They are now acknowledging they can not supply the smart connect. I like the way they are blaming Samsung, but that does not matter as the regs say you have to deal with the retailer, and they did advertise the smart connect.
They have some nerve trying to sell me a Smart things hub!!!
I thing they are slowly hanging themselves.

My reply was 
How do you connect the smart things hub to the TV without the smart connect dongle?
Do you accept that you mis sold the TV in respect that you advertised a free smart connect USB dongle to enable it to connect with smart things, which you can not supply, and which influenced peoples decision to buy that model. The Oct 2015 European Consumer Regulations say is misrepresentation, and your customers may ask for and are entitled to a replacement or full refund.o I connect the TV to the smart things with out the smart connect?

Now wait for their answer.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

I sent Curry's a message on facebook asking about their miss selling of the smart connect and got this response,       Comments

Currys PC World

I understand that a decision was made recently by Samsung not to introduce the smart things dongle, which would have offered the potential to control various aspects of your home through the television.

Richard
Manage
CURRYS.CO.UK

They are now acknowledging they can not supply the smart connect. I like the way they are blaming Samsung, but that does not matter as the regs say you have to deal with the retailer, and they did advertise the smart connect.

My reply was 
How do you connect the smart things hub to the TV without the smart connect dongle?
Do you accept that you mis sold the TV in respect that you advertised a free smart connect USB dongle to enable it to connect with smart things, which you can not supply, and which influenced peoples decision to buy that model. The Oct 2015 European Consumer Regulations say is misrepresentation, and your customers may ask for and are entitled to a replacement or full refund.o I connect the TV to the smart things with out the smart connect?

You will probably get greeted with silence on that!

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

Currys PC World

Richard
Manage
CURRYS.CO.UK

My reply was 

You will probably get greeted with silence on that!

dosent matter, as 14 days notice is still ticking and they stand to loose a lot more if it goes to the court!

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I think silence is an admission of guilt, because they have no other answer, and what I am asking is not unreasonable. It all adds for more evidence for court, and they do know that. Remember none of the retailers have denied misrepresentation. They have a legal department trying every way to discourage any legal action, which so far, we have counted with evidence from their own web sites. John Lewis looks like have admitted defeat. Just bit concerned they want to phone and discuss things. There is nothing to discuss apart from when they will pick up the TV and give a full refund.

Paul

0 Likes
Chris325
Explorer
Options

I am in touch with JL Head Office. I have a case manager Hayley Moore. She advised I raised a lot of points and she needs to check with their Buying Office plus Samsung directly. The mail I have is generic being yourenquiry@johnlewis.co.uk. My reference is CASE-08084566. I suggest anyone who bought K series contacts her. I raised the lack of the hub, lack of dongle, lack of full HLG and Samsung going back on their word over HDR10.

i can see no reason why the moderator will censor the JL details I have included above but let’s see.

0 Likes