Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 09-01-2018 01:59 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Well if Samsung continue down this path people will just vote with their wallets and buy elsewhere.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

I have already posted my letter of intent however if Curry's still play hard ball I will just send the responses from Trading Standards (if I get one) and the one from citizens advice.

Updated the other threads and I believe Curry's are fully aware of the law but play on customers believing what they state without them doing further research.

That is also what Citizens Advice told me on the phone. 

Unlike the retailers they seem to agree you have reason to take this further and they confirm that there is no time limit for misrepresentation, unlike with faulty goods. They even advice you on your options. I know that the retailers do know the law and I think their response so far is to give them time. I now think it may be a good idea to use the three issues of mid selling (hlg, hdr10+, smart connect) when reporting to Citizens Advice as Samsung may be able to talk out of one issue but not three, and I think it would give more clout with your argument, and make a better case of misrepresentation for trading standards to investigate. 

For everyone I suggest using that Citizens Advice reply as part of you argument. Also the actual paragraphs to use were also posted which may help.

Good luck

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Out of curiuosity....

I appreciate our televisions are not brand new anymore so what would be the minimum you would accept in order to consider this matter closed?

A gesture of good will would go a long way I reckon even if it's not a full replacement/refund.

I am of course gunning for a full refund/replacement but won't turn down an acceptable offer from Curry's to avoid the small claims court.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

Out of curiuosity....

I appreciate our televisions are not brand new anymore so what would be the minimum you would accept in order to consider this matter closed?

A gesture of good will would go a long way I reckon even if it's not a full replacement/refund.

I am of course gunning for a full refund/replacement but won't turn down an acceptable offer from Curry's to avoid the small claims court.

The way things stand it does not look lime Samsung are going to do the right thing. So I do not know what the retailers can do to rectify this. To get what you we're promised is to purchase a 2016 Panasonic or LG. That means you want a full refund. 

With Citizens Advice reply I now believe even more that no retailer would allow this to go to court. Also do not forget that if the Citizens Advice see it as misrepresentation, so will the credit card issuers, if you also explore the section 75, or if you brought on credit, the credit issuer.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

Thanks for that info but could you tell us which fhird party boxers that will do HLG,as I have not seen any. I have read that the new Panasonic uhd bluray player is HDR10+ compa

Roku box does but looks like only with Sony boxes, not sure if Samsung would support it over third party boxes like SkyQ or Roku, only way to get HLG could be via Youtube or Internal tuners

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

Panasonic boxes arent of much use as Samsung have categorically stated that HDR10+ wont be supported over HDMI

Looks like this is end of road for 2016 Samsung sets

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options
Even if it is a soft/hardware problem they should commit to providing an updated Evolution Kit as promised.
0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@JTE wrote:
Even if it is a soft/hardware problem they should commit to providing an updated Evolution Kit as promised.

hence the case for misseling under section 11 of consumer act 2015 and I am sure under older laws too, as here never was a statute of limitation on misselling - remember PPI claims!

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I have had a reply from Samsung Support over Curry's Smart Connect dongle

This is to acknowledge that we have received your response to our e-mail about your unit. With regards to the Smart Connect dongle, the link that you provided has been provided by Currys and was not directly authorised by Samsung. Please feel free to contact them so that they can provide the most accurate information about the said offer.

If you feel that you had been missold or misled with your purchase, we recommend seeking for assistance with the retailer where the TV was purchased so that they can give the best options for you.

If you require additional support, you can find How-To videos, answers to your questions and other useful information about Samsung products on our Support website www.samsung.com/uk/support or you may contact us at 0330-726-7864 within 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. from Monday to Saturday.

Kind regards,

Shieryl M

Customer Service Representative

Seems like they are trying to pass the book, and blame the retailers for making false staements even though this Youtube link shows Samsung at the 2016 CES advertising it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8

They must be worried when they start blaming thier own retailers

To: Samsung Support <*************@partner.samsung.com>
I also showed you a youtube link from Samsung 2016 CES presentation which is absolututly clear that you would give every 2016 owner a free smart connect USB dongle!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJRHrQio6_8
Here is my reply back to Samsung Support.

You say your retailers were not authorised to advertise the dongle, do you also say that your CEO was also not authorised?
So where did the retailers get their information from? That does not matter under UK law as you seem to be blaming the retailers for giving incorrect information it still 
 is clear misrepresentation, and I think Citizens Advice and Trading Standards also agree. I don't think you retailers will be very impressed with you response.
What about this promise of an HDR10+ software update for 2016 models?
https://news.samsung.com/global/how-hdr10-creates-like-real-images
Are you also saying that Samsung were not authorised to make that claim also, and before you answer just remember it's all evidence as to your blatant disregard of European Consumer laws and the 1974 Consumer Credit Act..
The HLG fiasco just shows your contempt to your customers, and why did you not inform the public that you would not support BBC Iplayer broadcasts in your older models?
https://www.whathifi.com/advice/hdr-tv-what-it-how-can-you-get-it#HKmkBd0MMSTZvqxK.99
This was Dec 2017 and still no mention of not supporting BBC Iplayer!!!!!
It seems that even Martin Daws are not happy as I am not the only customer they are waiting for information from you tech department. 
Not happy
Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

Who is Martin Daws?

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@richardg wrote:

Whichever is the case then Samsung would have to show that they specifically excluded support for relevant non-broadcast service standards when describing the capabilities of pre-2017 models.  

I would check all claims made at the time for any small print about limitation of support for the relevant standards. Otherwise, it would seem reasonable for purchasers to assume that all such content would be supported. If someone says "standard X" is supported then that inlcudes all subtypes of "standard X" unless specifically excluded.

If a) is the case, then the only redress would be a physical add-on or replacement TV. If b) then whatever software changes have been applied to 2017 TVs should be applied to older sets.

I repeat, I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me that a case could be constructed along these lines.

Very well written post.

And we know thatt Samsung did not exclude any form of HLG. 

0 Likes