Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto motion plus settings

(Topic created on: 09-07-2018 09:45 AM)
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi all , I've got a ue49mu6500 TV , the auto motion plus settings for the judder are 1 to 9 , is it the higher the number the less judder ?? Thanks 

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

We've found the judder settings on Samsung TVs to be confusing.  It seems like the TVs have two judder modes, off and on, and that setting just adjusts when it's off or on.  When judder is off, the TV appears to have a lower frame rate than it should and everything judders, even though most video is 50i/60i, it doesn't display it that way.

If you turn it somewhere in the middle, camera pans start out with terrible judder then suddenly catch up and move smoothly, it's horribly annoying and unnatural and I've never seen a TV handle camera pans so badly.

With judder up to the maximum, the TV more quickly switches to smoothing camera pans etc, so the stutter at the point it decides to switch from one mode to the other doesn't last as long.  Also you need to turn blur reduction on in order for judder reduction to seem to have an effect.

We've found having both settings up to the maximum seems to reduce judder the most, but there is still abnormal judder that shouldn't be there in the first place.  

This is the worst TV I've seen for adding it's own judder and picture glitches.

Regards

Phil

Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Thanks Phil , I've put judder setting to full ( 10 ) now but I can't find the blur setting that you mentioned , where will I find it , thanks for your help 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @Edgie70   Auto Motion settings should show as follows shwing Blur, Judder and LED Motion Setting  :

Auto Motion.png  Not all models have Blur reduction but  your set seems to have the option.   Leaving LED Clear Motion on,  whilst lowering limit for Blur and Judder reduction can help to reduce motion blur without causing the "Soap Opera Effect".

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

valleyboy22
Voyager
Options

I get this on my tv, especially sports when the camera is eye view. really annoying to be honest and thought a software update would help towards this?

Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi , thanks for your replies , unfortunately the u.k model doesn't have blur settings , this is what I've set it to 20180704_221908.jpg

valleyboy22
Voyager
Options

I had the curved tv for around 3 weeks, but how nice it looked the picture did not cut it. The opera/blur effect no matter what setting i did, would not improve. I sent it back and paid a litle extra for an upgraded 50" samsung which i can confirm has the both blur and motion settings on it, whic the curved tv did not.

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Edgie70 wrote:

Hi , thanks for your replies , unfortunately the u.k model doesn't have blur settings , this is what I've set it to 20180704_221908.jpg

@Edgie70 oh right, if you are not quite satisfied could try the LED clear motion to see if that makes much difference.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Edgie70
Troubleshooter
Options

Hi , the led clear motion makes the screen go dim tho 😕

0 Likes
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

LED clear motion strobes the back light, it's goal is to emulate CRT type displays or plasma displays, which didn't have issues with motion blur due to the way they quickly flashed up each frame then went to black.  It was our brains that held the image due to our persistance of vision and avoided blur.  Modern TVs are sample and hold displays, the frame is shown constantly, so it overrides our persistance of vision.  When something moves on these displays our eyes follow the illusion of something moving, but really they are just a series of static images.  As our eye moves we are bluring these static images, just like taking a picture with a camera panning on a slow shutter speed.

Modern LCD TVs overcome this bluring by creating extra frames, increasing the shutter speed if you like, so the bluring is reduced considerably, but this can give rise to all sorts of odd artefacts, especially around things that are moving.

So some TVs have the option to revert back to black frame insertion like older TVs, but because the backlight is now turning on and off very fast, it essentially generates less light overall, so appears darker, and some people find the flicker annoying and uncomfortable.

Overall Samsung seem to have the most buggy and rough and ready blur reduction capabilities of any TV out there.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes