Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-12-2018 10:34 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Another update: After getting replacement/refund authorisation last week from John Lewis I decided to go for a refund as the LG TV I wanted wasn't in stock, and I also wanted a wall mount and their selection of mounts is very poor.

I now have an RMA number and the TV will be collected this coming Saturday. I'll be visiting Richer Sounds next week to buy my replacement TV from them, along with a wall mount.  

Just to correct one bit of information: I previously stated that an uplift number from Samsung hadn't been required for JL to authorise the refund. It turns out that Samsung did provide a number last week. The guy who arranged my refund today confirmed this and said that he had to enter the number in his form to complete the transaction. 

As others have said, this number is not actually necessary for the retailer to agree to replace or refund products. JL seem to insist on one , which was why my case dragged on for so long. It's interesting that Samsung relented last week and gave them an uplift number. This is further proof that they are acknowledging the fault and the lack of resolution.

0 Likes
Rickers
Apprentice
Options

After referring JL to your case I have just received the following response back. Although I am impressed with receiving a response on a Sunday I am a little dissapointed with its contents. It is clear that JL are dealing with everyone on a case by case basis, either that or they don't have the ability to check other cases to see if there is any connection. 

It looks like I have no other option but to contact Samsung directly. All very frustrating and in my opinion unnecessary .

It will be interesting to see whether to person I speak will have any knowledge of this issue. 

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for your response with regards to your Samsung television.  I am sorry to learn of the ongoing issue with storage space for applications and can appreciate the inconvenience in which this may be causing you.  Please be assured that I am keen to advise you further.

Any common software issues are usually resolved through firmware updates provided by the manufacturer, swiftly.  As we do not have any control on such updates, we are unable to provide you with a resolution to this issue.

With this information in mind, we would recommend contacting Samsung in order for them to assist you further.  Samsung can be contacted on 03307267864 between 9am and 6pm from Monday to Sunday.

Regrettably, I am unable to discuss another customer's case with yourself due to security reasons; however, I would like to assure you that we strive to assist our customers in every way possible.  As this issue is not something within our control, and not something in which our guarantee covers, we are advising of the best next steps to reach an appropriate resolution.

I hope that you find this information helpful and that Samsung are able to assist you further.

Kind regards 

Edward *****
John Lewis Technical Support 
0330 123 0106 

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Wow, this is deeply unimpressive from JL, especially this paragraph:

"Regrettably, I am unable to discuss another customer's case with yourself due to security reasons; however, I would like to assure you that we strive to assist our customers in every way possible.  As this issue is not something within our control, and not something in which our guarantee covers, we are advising of the best next steps to reach an appropriate resolution."

For JL: The TV doesn't work as specified. It's sold as a smart TV yet the apps can't be easily updated due to a hardware deficiency. A smarthub reset is required, or manually updating the apps one by one. It is therefore not fit for purpose and is covered by their guarantee. They don't need to discuss my case with you but simply look it up and see what was agreed.

Just as well I got a refund! They won't be having any more of my money. I'm sure you'll get there in the end but it's clearly going to take a bit more time. Once Samsung give you the brush off, which they will, you can go back to JL and get them to arrange a visit from a 3rd party repair company, which should speed up matters. I understand the frustration though. None of us should have to go through this.

0 Likes
JamieKS
Explorer
Options

Question: when I spoke to Samsung they did a remote reset of the TV, the update error message has not appeared again since this as the apps are now up to date. Is the only way for the error message reappear to wait for one of the built in apps to be updated or is there any other ways to get the error message to come back?

I'm still presuing my refund with currys but I'm not going to be able to show anyone the problem until the message is showing agian.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

The system updates all the built-in apps every month, so next time it happens you should get the error message back. You could 'encourage' it to appear next month by updating the firmware, if you haven't already. That takes up to another 50MB of storage, leaving even less for the apps.

0 Likes
Patrick169
Explorer
Options

System updates are releasing every month? Thanks

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Well the apps auto-update every month. The system firmware seems to update quarterly. That's based on having had my TV since last November and firmware updates have been released in January and April. 

0 Likes
adw_uk
Explorer
Options
I've had two e-mails from Samsung Support saying to do the reset then see if the problem still exists which they know clears the issue till next month then re-occurs.

I've consulted a solicitor and have been told not to go after the manufacturer my 'contract' is with the retailer Crampton & Moore who are standing behind a wall of 'plausible deniability'. I've been on holiday for the last 10-days but am now going to move forward with this I'm just waiting for the legal contact details from the retailer and will then let the solicitor take over.

So much hassle all created by Samsung who have acted despicably with all of us and has just soured the whole experience and has left me determined never to buy a Samsung product again on principle.
billyb_834652
Explorer
Options

Update: Had this reply back from Crampton & Moore...

Good Morning,

As your order was fulfilled by Amazon you would need to contact them on the contact us section of the website or by calling Amazon on 08002797234.

Kind Regards

S***** T*******

Customer Care After Sales Advisor

Unit 2B, Shortwood Business Court, Hoyland, Barnsley, S74 9LH

01226 350754    www.cramptonandmoore.co.uk

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

That might actually be good news as Amazon are good refunders. 

0 Likes