Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 14-01-2019 05:42 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
bIOforger
Navigator
Options
Yep can confirm its the same deal here, the freespace left has a mind of its own, without installing anything extra. To me that's a software issue with certain models. Who knows. I doubt anything will be done to rectify it.
0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

Hi, I only wanted to say that the next day after resetting my TV to defaults, the issue was solved. There was no error message and all my applications where updated to a recent version. However, I was not sure that this couldn't happen in the future.

Two days after I received a call from Samsung (because I asked for support from the TV menu) and they told me that I should plug a USB if that happens again... They also said that to have 100Mb free is normal for my TV model... 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It's annoying that Samsung are still trotting out this nonsense. The built-in apps need internal storage to update, so a USB drive doesn't help. You can install additional apps to USB but it doesn't address the core problem. Saying that 100MB free space is designed in those models is also nonsense as the space required for updating the built-in apps is around 120MB - 160MB.

Resetting the apps does enable the built-in apps to update but there will be insufficient space for further updates unless you reset again, which is hugely inconvenient. Samsung Support sucks. Pure ignorance.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

Yes, I agree on what you say about the external storage, because I have a HDD permanently plugged to the TV and the error prompted anyway, so I think it will not work.

Regarding the space required, just to say that the last time I saw the alert, it was asking only for 85Mb (my TV was restarted to original configuration and I had just the core apps). It was failing even if I had 100 free Mb, so I don't know how this was fixed, but apparently it was.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

And yes, their solution was: Reset Smart Hub and plug an USB disk. So we are forced to restore everytime we have this issue. That's quite annoying if it happens often.

I think this could be easy to solve by a Software update. They should update applications one by one and not all at the same time. 

If they do not plan to fix it, they at least should let us uninstall some of the uninstalable applications (Facebook or other stuff). 

bIOforger
Navigator
Options
Yea agree with everything you are saying, but what about the Tv's OS how much space does that take up? so not including the apps. How big is the total internal storage? Maybe that plus the default apps does indeed only leave ~100MB freespace left to play with? Which if the case is a massive oversight.
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

As you say, it would be a massive oversight.

However, the NU8000 range, which is the next one up, has a total internal memory allocation for apps of 3GB, with around 1GB typically used for the built-in apps. I know this from the dedicated forum for this range on the AVForums.com site. This is much more sensible and it would seem very odd that they didn't also do this for the NU7000 range. The whole issue is very weird indeed. :face-with-rolling-eyes:

0 Likes
MarkWilliam
Apprentice
Options

I think you guys are being far too optimistic.  I was just trying to fix my ex-wife's TV, it is a UE40J6275SU.

As I deleted apps to free up memory, they simply went away with no extra memory free and no way to re-load them.

I guess the TV is about 2-3 years old.  Unit has 1 GB of internal memory and now after a total reset with 0 downloaded apps (only pre-installed, which is Netflix, youtube and a bunch of garbage) it shows 0 MB of available memory.

No amount of 'reset'ing will get the unit to free up any memory, and it has the latest firmware already.

Something is seriously wrong with Samsung and Smart Hub.

When I do the network connectivity checks, the networking works great right up until it trys to check with the Samsung server, then it says it has no connection.

So I think they have a bunch of software glitches within Smart Hub.  Personally it makes me doubtful I will buy another TV from them.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Hi, yes the apps storage issue is very annoying, especially if the system has actually been designed with only 1GB of space and the undeletable core apps take up 750Mb. Nobody is sure at the moment whether  it's a design or software issue, but Samsung have made no progress in resolving it.

I thought it only affected NU7xxx models, but from what you say it's present on earlier ranges. Someone on another forum managed to exchange their TV at Richer Sounds due to the issue (after the 30-day period) so I'm planning to do the same at John Lewis. The next range up, the NU8000 series, does not have this issue, with 3GB available for the apps.

I agree that it puts you off Samsung TVs and I may well swap the TV for another brand altogether. It's a shame as the Samsung is great in all other respects, and I think the user interface is the best I've found.

0 Likes
MarkWilliam
Apprentice
Options

Hard to know how much those original apps use, should not be more than a few hundred MB.  Unless they have bloated up in size since the TV was new.  Nothing seems to update, as there is of course no available space showing.  To me this looks like a memory formatting error.  Needs to be reformatted, but I cannot seem to find any way to restore the tv.  Even a factory reset leaves it in the same sad state.  And already reset the smart hub 25 times.  Rest of the tv is in working just fine, so I had best be careful not to brick it.  Would be nice if had options like an Android phone to use the USB to store apps, but it does not give us that option.  I have seen talk about people using USB memory, but assume that must be for newer models?  I have no idea why they would sell a product with such deficient amount of memory and aparently no redundancy and no recovery mode.  Feel free to provide the magic answer anyone that fixes the problem.

0 Likes