Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 14-01-2019 12:36 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

No. I've been communicating with the guy above on another forum and he cancelled the engineer, who admitted that he had no solution.

There was a recent firmware update but that hasn't helped. The concensus on the other forum is that this issue only affects TVs in the 2018 NU7xxx range and is likely to be hardware based. That makes it more awkward to rectify and Samsung still haven't come up with an answer.

I'm going to tackle John Lewis again, now that this is a known issue and Samsung are fully aware. I aim to exchange my TV for an NU8000 as that seems to be free of the issue and is a much higher spec TV for only about £70 more than I paid for the NU7500. When I bought my TV the price gap was a lot more, otherwise I'd have gone for the 8000 in the first place. I'll post an update here after I've contacted JL.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Mmm not sure about it being a hardware issue as I've only seen this message popup this last week or so, I.e when I got the TV just before Christmas it was fine. The only other app I have installed is plex. It feels like a software issue to me with certain models. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

The auto update only happens every month, which is why you didn't see the pop up until now. The reason for suspecting that it's a hardware issue was that if it was software then surely all TVs with that software woud have the same issue?

Currently it's random across the entire NU7xxx range, which may point to a batch of faulty drives. However, this is all guesswork and nobody knows the answer yet, including Samsung.

0 Likes
bIOforger
Navigator
Options

ah yea fair point, mmm not good is it. For me its not such a huge issue as it has all the apps i would need and they all work currently, but the fact that it cant update them is a bit worrying for the future.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

This is weird. I had the same issue today. I restored my TV to fabric configuration. After entering in Apps it says that 84MB are requested and I don't have enough to storage. But when I go to configuration it says I have 112 free MB!! So it is not only that it is not able to read the free space...

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

I'm not sure what you mean. When you say 'configuration', where is that in the menu, and what did it say exactly?

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

I do not have the TV in front of me right now but I referred to the option inside APPS aplication.

If you enter to APPS , after watching the error of "no enough free storage for updating..." you have some options at the right-above corner. If I remember well, one is to change your Samsung account and the other one is a wheel (which I called configuration) in which you can do some operations with the installed apps (Move/Block/Unblock/Uninstall/Details...). In that window there is a status bar at the top indicating which percentage of the available storage is used. 

That information matches the one prompted by the error in free MBs. The difference is that before restoring the error showed 85Mb free and I needed 100Mb to update. After restoring I need ~90Mb for the update and I have ~110Mb free.. so I guess freeing more space would not do nothing. 

I think that, as someone else is saying, that the OS is not able to read ok the free space.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options
I can upload some captures in the night so you can see what I am saying.
0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

That's ok, I understand perfectly what you've described above. That type of thing happened to me and others. The amount of reported used and free space varies and you might find that if you go into the settings tonight it will be different again. It's always on the low side and seems to imply that the OS 'thinks' that there's a maximum of 1GB on the drive. With the NU8000 for instance, there's 3GB available.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options
Hi Tony47. I read the full thread and also the one you opened in avforums.com , and the behavior is just what you say in your last message and what it was happening to me before doing the restore. I had 700MB allocated and only ~80MB free, according to the OS. The update needed ~100MB and it couldn't be done because 80<100.

However, after restoring I posted my comment because what I saw is something that nobody reported before (correct me if I am wrong). Now I have more free space that the system would need for the update. Not only real free space, but also free space detected by the OS. The Apps alert says that I need ~80MB for the update, but I have 112 free MB. So not only the OS is badly checking for the free space, but also something is wrong in the logic of the update, because 112>80.