Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 13-04-2019 07:23 PM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks Paul, as far as I can tell, JL don't publish an email address for customer support. If you know of one please let me know. I suspect this is deliberate. 

This situation is my first real encounter with a manufacturing fault that I've struggled to have rectified quickly. A few years ago I bought a PVR from JL which developed a fault after a few months and it was exchanged without question. I wonder if the current pressure on high street retailers is causing them to be much more obstinate in allowing returns? Something at JL has changed and it's not good.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Tony47 wrote:

Thanks Paul, as far as I can tell, JL don't publish an email address for customer support. If you know of one please let me know. I suspect this is deliberate. 

This situation is my first real encounter with a manufacturing fault that I've struggled to have rectified quickly. A few years ago I bought a PVR from JL which developed a fault after a few months and it was exchanged without question. I wonder if the current pressure on high street retailers is causing them to be much more obstinate in allowing returns? Something at JL has changed and it's not good.

If you bought from the shop it is the shop you contact.  If online it is their support line which they should have given you.  Also just do a search for JL support email.  They will not make things easy because there is no law, that says they have to. But there is the 2015 consumer regs,  and even more there is the most powerful protection called consumer credit section 75. This means if you paid by credit card or just the deposit of over £100 you can ring you credit card issuers,  explain it is faulty with no know repair at this time and request they give you a full refund.  Costs nothing and puts the pressure on JL because tell them you have started a section 75 claim.  

Paul

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

Thanks - I'd totally forgotten about credit card cover and I did pay by card. I think I'll action that next week as I'm sick of waiting. As you say, if I state in my email or letter that I've started a Section 75 claim that should have an effect.

I bought the TV online.

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I have just been reading this thread and I have to say how disgusted I am that no one from Samsung have even bothered replying on it, and how they sent people on a wild goose chase regarding this issue. I have over the last 3 weeks brought a 50 inch NU7400 and only became aware of this issue today having seen a chap post about the same issue with the apps storage space on Youtube. So I checked in the app settings on my TV and noticed I only have 62.52 mb's of space left which is about 7%. So I popped over to this thread to see what is being done about it, and was amazed at all the complaints, especially as most of them are only a month old as well.

Also whilst I was over here having a good read I noticed another chap had replied to the comment I left on Youtube and mentioned the complaints and that Samsung claim there is a firmware update soon. Though for the life of me I cannot see anything mentioned in this thread about it, or on Samsung's website. So I have no idea how he even knows that there is an update coming soon. Have you heard anything about it at all. 

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Intruder461 wrote:

I have just been reading this thread and I have to say how disgusted I am that no one from Samsung have even bothered replying on it, and how they sent people on a wild goose chase regarding this issue. I have over the last 3 weeks brought a 50 inch NU7400 and only became aware of this issue today having seen a chap post about the same issue with the apps storage space on Youtube. So I checked in the app settings on my TV and noticed I only have 62.52 mb's of space left which is about 7%. So I popped over to this thread to see what is being done about it, and was amazed at all the complaints, especially as most of them are only a month old as well.

Also whilst I was over here having a good read I noticed another chap had replied to the comment I left on Youtube and mentioned the complaints and that Samsung claim there is a firmware update soon. Though for the life of me I cannot see anything mentioned in this thread about it, or on Samsung's website. So I have no idea how he even knows that there is an update coming soon. Have you heard anything about it at all. 

Hi, as this thread is now so long you may have missed it, but the firmware upgrade nonsense has been mentioned here a lot as it's Samsung's standard response. If you contact them to complain about the issue you'll first be told to use a USB stick. When you tell them that won't work (which it won't as the apps need internal storage to update) they might escalate you up the food chain.

The next level of support will inform you that they're working on a firmware update to cure the problem, but can't tell you when it will be ready. In some cases they'll directly lie and say it will be ready in "a few days" or "5-7 working days". All rubbish and all experienced by people on this thread. Firmware won't cure the problem as it's a hardware issue - there isn't enough storage on the motherboard, end of story.

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the reply Tony and yes I have read most of the forum posts and noticed all the ***** Samsung have come out with regarding replacing the motherboard which still has not solved the problem, and all about the useless things they tell you to do such as use a USB Stick and so on. So it looks as if even an update would not solve the problem either and I should imagine this would be a serious concern for Gamers more than myself who is not a gamer and the only real apps that I use are things like Youtube/Amazon Prime/Netflix and all the catch up TV channel apps which are already installed.

I have not contacted support myself about it, and only read on Youtube that Samsung are releasing an update to solve the problem. But it appears that there is no way they can fix it, so I guess we are stuck with it. This is very shoddy work from Samsung I will say and for all those Gamers who need to install more apps I certainly think they should be entitled to a refund or a free upgrade to another model that does work.

Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

I just posted this on Samsung's FB wall to voice my concern about it all.

If you are a Gamer and are thinking of buying a Samsung TV to play games on then I advise you to avoid Samsung's 7 Series entirely. Having not long purchased a 50 inch NU7400 myself I soon found out that Samsung have made a major ***** up regarding the storage space for the apps on the TV. This problem does not exist in my model only, and exists throughout the entire 7 Series.

Basically if you are a Gamer the chances are you will need to install certain apps for you to play your games. Only Samsung have entirely messed up here by giving you hardly any free space to install them, and have installed apps on the TV themselves to which 99% of them you cannot even delete to free up any space.

This has caused up a big enough stir in their main community forum. Which is a forum that not even Samsung themselves can be bothered to reply too. Basically Samsung do not give a hoot about supporting you one bit, and their support to put it mildly ls a FARCE and they have sent many of their complainers on a wild goose chase regarding how to solve this issue and have come out with nothing but useless information to try and solve the problem. Basically they will just lie to you to get you off the phone.

Basically Samsung cannot even fix this issue and they are doing absolutely nothing to try and fix it either. They have had your money and they do not give a TOSS. A lot of people may not even be aware of this issue either but if you look at the 37 pages of complaints here in their forum you will soon see the truth regarding Samsung's Shoddy workmanship they did on the app storage for their entire range of the 7 Series.

So my advice for all those who are thinking of buying a new TV.is to check out as much as you can about it first before parting with your money.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

It'll be interesting to see if Samsung respond to that! You're right to specify that it's just the NU7000 series that's affected and from what we've found out on here it seems that the 2019 replacement for this (RU7000 series) is fine. They're coming out now but of course they'll be a much higher price for at least six months.

bIOforger
Navigator
Options

Guys, this issue could absolutely be resolved via a firmware update by allowing the user to delete any of the built in apps to free up space, the easiest option would be by allowing us to delete the e-manual as its nearly 100MB in size. It still probably wouldn't be a solution for gamers but for regular users it would be (as long as you don't install too many other apps of course).

Also i noticed recently that when that Hayu app was added that the Deezer app could also be deleted. Pretty sure we weren't able to delete Deezer before.

0 Likes
Intruder461
Pioneer
Options

This is an internal memory issue and the chances are that even if they did do an update you will not even be able to install it cause you have insufficient space. I noticed that you can uninstall Deezer this morning when I looked but never really looked if you could beforehand. I also uninstalled Deezer and I never even got space back by doing so.

But the whole app thing is sheer stupidity on their part, they should have only installed a few apps on the TV in the first place and let you decide what other apps you want and not them. At the end of the day what on earth is the whole point of installing apps automatically if it's just going to install things you never even wanted in the first place. They also should of made it so you can delete any app you want too.

0 Likes