Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 25-03-2019 07:38 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
Raucous
Apprentice
Options

Hi guys 

Ive been following this thread for a while now because Ive had the same issue with space for updating the apps on the tv (ue50NU7400).  I rang samsung and support remoted onto the tv. I explained that the tv didnt seem to be interpretting the space correctly because I added up the space taken up and it amounted to wayyyyy less than was was being reported in space used.

Then she asked me to install MORE apps onto the tv which I did - I tried to find apps that would completely fill the storage and discovered that it seemed to install more apps than may estimate by about 40mb.  I exited apps and went back in and the "space required" changed to my estimation of the total space used by all the apps. 

Its very odd and tbh the woman on the phone didnt seem to know what was going on and said she would monitor it and come back in 24 hours. I think what she meant was she would enquire with samsung tech support and come back to me.

AFTER hanging up the phone,  I then uninstalled all the needless apps that I had installed early for testing and I ended up with even more space than when I had started the whole exercise! Enough infact to install the app updates so now I seem to have about 129.32mb available.

Im happy but confused.. I do think that there is something wrong with the way its interpretting space and the installation/uninstallation of apps seems to have just given me enough leaway to update. 

Has anyone else tried this and has it worked for them?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Rabbak wrote:

But I went for the same model again, which proved a mistake!

As it seems the problem is in all the nu7400 or nu7500 models.

Samsung called and said their engineers will guide me through set up and help me fix it on the phone.

I called and their advise was, connect a usb device and the TV will update and then will show storage correctly.

She also confirmed that the NU7400 model should have 4 GB of internal storage. Even though it showed only 1GB.

I am stuck now as John Lewis already changed my TV and Samsung just giving me weird pointless advise on how to deal with an issue that they caused and have no clue about!

Please help

Oh dear, out of the frying pan and into the fire!

As ever, Samsung Support are giving nonsense advice. They're fixated on using a USB drive to 'solve' the problem but it does nothing of the sort. The built-in apps need *internal storage* including for the update cache. Indeed, the pop up window that warns about lack of storage for the update actually specifies internal storage, even when you have a USB drive installed. 

I've been through this before with Samsung and done my own tests, filling up the memory completely and then installing a USB drive. Additional apps do then install to USB but the built-in apps still insist on internal storage when they attempt to update.

As you have an identical fault with the new TV, which Samsung has already admitted is a fault as they authorised a replacement before, you are entitled to another replacement (different model!) as the issue hasn't been resolved. There's no limit on how many replacements you can have if the fault persists. That would be illegal.

Samsung will try and fob you off but keep going. Unfortunately JL may also try and fob you off. If they do and you're still within the 30 days I would just cancel the order and go with either AO or Richer Sounds - both have proved to be trustworthy suppliers, judging on how they've treated posters on this thread.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@Raucous wrote:

Hi guys 

Ive been following this thread for a while now because Ive had the same issue with space for updating the apps on the tv (ue50NU7400).  I rang samsung and support remoted onto the tv. I explained that the tv didnt seem to be interpretting the space correctly because I added up the space taken up and it amounted to wayyyyy less than was was being reported in space used.

Then she asked me to install MORE apps onto the tv which I did - I tried to find apps that would completely fill the storage and discovered that it seemed to install more apps than may estimate by about 40mb.  I exited apps and went back in and the "space required" changed to my estimation of the total space used by all the apps. 

Its very odd and tbh the woman on the phone didnt seem to know what was going on and said she would monitor it and come back in 24 hours. I think what she meant was she would enquire with samsung tech support and come back to me.

AFTER hanging up the phone,  I then uninstalled all the needless apps that I had installed early for testing and I ended up with even more space than when I had started the whole exercise! Enough infact to install the app updates so now I seem to have about 129.32mb available.

Im happy but confused.. I do think that there is something wrong with the way its interpretting space and the installation/uninstallation of apps seems to have just given me enough leaway to update. 

Has anyone else tried this and has it worked for them?

I've done this sort of testing myself but it doesn't really resolve anything. The fact is that on TVs with this issue, for some unknown reason they've only been fitted with 1GB main boards when they should have had 4GB boards. The built-in apps take up around 700MB and need around 150MB extra to update. With other space taken up by formatting you can see that the whole drive is more or less full right from the start.  As someone reported earlier today, sometimes you can't update the apps even when the TV is brand new and fresh out of the box.

Having 129MB free is not going to help come the next update, so pushing for a replacement TV (different model) is the only solution. If Samsung insist on installing a new board they're just wasting everybody's time as the engineer will turn up with an identical board to what's already fitted.

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@MarkWilliam1 wrote:

Well I am less and less and less impressed with Samsung.  Now through their incompetence they have forced me to create a new profile in the community.  Good work.  Who knows why I cannot log in with my old username or email?  It keeps forcing me to make a new profile, but of course I cannot use my original name or email AS IT IS IN USE!!!!

As I have said previously, they broke my wife's tv by remote control with their *****ic firmware/app updates that consumed all available memory on her 2015 model TV.  With no apps installed there is 0 GB available even after a full reset.  It is a shame that I did not notice the memory stayed at 0GB as I deleted the old apps, but they would eventually have stopped working for lack of updates anyway.

I just checked on my own TV  (ue55mu6470u) and it has 1.4 GB used (lots of installed apps) and 3 GB or 68% available.  So hopefully I avoid this problem, but wonder about turning off the autoupdate, as it seems more like autodestruct.

I have to seriously wonder about a company that obviously sent out firmware updates that destroyed both old and apparently new TVs still under warrantee. I would not put it past them to have wrecked the old ones on purpose to force people to upgrade, but perhaps it was just stupidity.

If I end up in the same boat with my new TV it will be the last Samsung product.

It sounds like the firmware on your wife's TV got corrupted during the update process. What model is it?

It's interesting that with your TV  (ue55mu6470u) which is the predecessor to the NU7400 range you have a healthy 4GB+ for the apps storage, which is what one would expect. It now seems beyond doubt that the storage issue for the NU7400 and NU7500 ranges derives from inexplicably only having a 1GB board fitted.

0 Likes
MarkWilliam1
First Poster
Options

I think the model was UE40H6275SUXXE.  Hard to know what went wrong.  It is locked into software from late 2017.

No chance to update now.  Resets of all types don't work.

0 Likes
MarkWilliam1
First Poster
Options

I think the guys who designed these TV's went to work for Boeing designing their new safety systems....

Too bad they won't let you download an older firmware and flash the unit back to original factory specs.

Or as mentioned previously, stop loading the TVs with huge useless apps that cannot be deleted and break the tv in the end.

I am quite sure some marketing guy got a big bonus and the engineer who told them they were fools got fired.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

I still think there's an issue that a firmware update could fix because the space notified by Apps updater can change a lot and it is clear that it miscalculates it. Yesterday it was saying I needed 100 MB when I had 92 free MB. Then I reinstalled all the apps one by one and end up sawing that it was asking for 65MB when I had 90MB free. I don't think it is only related to the data space availability but to how Samsung manages this.

Another story is if we can do enough noise to make them acknowledge this.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

After doing yesterday what I told in my message above, today I see no notification in the Apps application. I went to chche the details option in all of my applications installed, one by one, and all of them where up to date to the last version. What it's more weird is that the date of the last update wasn't yesterday for any of them, so they all were already up to date.

Now I wonder why the Apps tools asked space for, maybe to update itself?

There's also the option that the update date field means the date the update was released and not when it was really installed but I don't think so.

0 Likes
AQuALoRd
Explorer
Options

My theory is that the TV is checking for available space even if it doesn't have anything to update. Today the space bar shows 114MB free, what is more than what it was showing today. Then this is maybe why it doesn't complain.

This issue is annoying but I had it three times and with little effort I could have all the applications updated. I hope Samsung releases a new OS version that fix this, and if not, for people that cannot or doesn't want to change their TVs, I think we can learn how to live with this with not so many trouble. Even I understand this is inaceptable for a company like Samsung.

0 Likes
Steve_Roebuck
Pioneer
Options

Having the same issue here, been in touch with Richer Sounds who have offered me a swap out under Warranty just not sure what to go for as a replacement.....

Any advice options are.....

• LG 50UK6750PLD (would need Magic Remote as the wife likes Voice Control)
  • Panasonic TX55FX650B
  • LG 55UK6750PLD (If I can convince them to do it).

These are all in around the price I paid for the Samsung, so would be a straight(ish) swap as I dont really want to spend any more money.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers

Steve