Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apps storage space issue

(Topic created on: 16-03-2019 12:29 AM)
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

TV: UE55 NU7500

I'm not sure whether this is a general Samsung issue or just to do with my TV, but the amount of space allocated to the Smart Hub apps seems to be seriously lacking.

As this is a new TV I thought I'd explore some of the available apps, but when I went into the Apps area I got a message saying that there was insufficient space to update apps. This was before I had downloaded anything, so it would purely apply to the pre-installed apps. 

I checked settings and the used space was 751MB with 64MB available, i.e. 7%. This seems absurd as these apps can't be deleted and are built into the system. The available space doesn't even allow them to be updated. I then tried resetting Smart Hub. This has helped to an extent as the available space is now 13%. However, it's still far too low and whenever I try and download a new app I get a warning about available space.

I can't believe that the pre-installed apps are taking around 700MB of space, and it seems crazy that Samsung would design the system this way. Presumably I will have to install an SD card to provide more space for the apps?

Any tips welcome as this is my first Samsung TV.

1,941 REPLIES 1,941
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

No problem, glad I can help you. 

To be honest it's been a mad process from start to finish, and it's only been 2 days!

I had AO tell me that I need to accept one repair if possible before a replacement. I then had the independent company appointed by Samsung to look at the TV say that it needs to be repaired at least 3 times before a replacement can be authorised.

So much conflicting advice!

Anyway, the service was requested by Samsung, not AO or myself. I just didn't stop pushing, but it's all very disappointing. 

0 Likes
chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Just a thought about this, i am really relucant to take my TV back as i love the picture, no light bleed etc and dont want to end up with something worse.

If i get the error in a few months saying there is not enough space to update...is it possible to turn off auto updates and just select the reinstall for each app i use ( you tube, bbc i player, itv hub, all4 and 5) this will then get me the latest updated version i assume 

would this work?

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@chrisnewton wrote:

Just a thought about this, i am really relucant to take my TV back as i love the picture, no light bleed etc and dont want to end up with something worse.

If i get the error in a few months saying there is not enough space to update...is it possible to turn off auto updates and just select the reinstall for each app i use ( you tube, bbc i player, itv hub, all4 and 5) this will then get me the latest updated version i assume 

would this work?

Rather than reinstall apps individually, the  best method if you're only using the built-in apps would be to keep auto-update on so that you know when updates are available, and if the storage issue occurs go to main settings and reset the smarthub (it's under 'support-self diagnosis'). That deletes all the apps and caches, and re-downloads and installs the latest versions of the built-in apps. If you're using any additional apps you would have to reinstall them individually.

This should keep your apps up to date, but it's still an annoyance that I wouldn't be prepared to put up with. You'll have to re-enter all your app login credentials. If you're not worried about it then that would be a good workaround.

chrisnewton
Navigator
Options

Thanks i appreciate the help and advice

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you all, as this seems to the only place we sorry owners of this TV are!

Samsung have denied me a replacement as the technician recommended me a new board.

I asked if the new board will have an upgraded storage and he said it will not. I then said how will this make a difference as all the apps are pre - installed, and cannot be removed, so it's a waste of time. He says that it'll hopefully fix memory issue and that it should update without taking up space. 

Anyway, I'm being genuinely positive about this because it could mean a fix. I cannot believe that Samsung will release an entire brand of TV's, all with this issue, so here's hoping it is indeed a faulty board.

Apparently Samsung can attempt to fix it three times before a replacement is authorised, but if of course the technician's decide that the board is the only solution, then it will be a replacement.

Cheers all

StephenFair
Student
Options

So glad I found this forum, got my UE50NU7470 from Curry’s on 14/2 noticed the problem two days ago and after reading this forum decided to take it back... as it was under the 30 days (by one day) I was able to return it as faulty and upgraded to a UE49NU8070 the guy in curry’s was very helpful, in fact to have it written off he had to tell them he had seen the problem in a video I had shown him... (there was no video) 

Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@StephenFair wrote:

So glad I found this forum, got my UE50NU7470 from Curry’s on 14/2 noticed the problem two days ago and after reading this forum decided to take it back... as it was under the 30 days (by one day) I was able to return it as faulty and upgraded to a UE49NU8070 the guy in curry’s was very helpful, in fact to have it written off he had to tell them he had seen the problem in a video I had shown him... (there was no video) 

Well done, and glad we were of service! 

It would be great if you could report back on how much free apps memory you have with the new TV,  once you've finished setting it up.

0 Likes
Tony47
Helping Hand
Options

@ArtofMotion wrote:

Hi all!

Thought I'd update you all, as this seems to the only place we sorry owners of this TV are!

Samsung have denied me a replacement as the technician recommended me a new board.

I asked if the new board will have an upgraded storage and he said it will not. I then said how will this make a difference as all the apps are pre - installed, and cannot be removed, so it's a waste of time. He says that it'll hopefully fix memory issue and that it should update without taking up space. 

Anyway, I'm being genuinely positive about this because it could mean a fix. I cannot believe that Samsung will release an entire brand of TV's, all with this issue, so here's hoping it is indeed a faulty board.

Apparently Samsung can attempt to fix it three times before a replacement is authorised, but if of course the technician's decide that the board is the only solution, then it will be a replacement.

Cheers all

Thanks for the update!

I tend to think that it's a hardware fault affecting how the apps memory is being reported by the OS, rather than an actual design error where too little memory has been installed. The smart hub is the same across all the ranges, so the memory required for the apps would be a known quantity. Therefore a faulty board seems plausible as Samsung have not been able to rectify the issue with a firmware update.

Strange how many people have reported the issue though. I'm getting the impression that it's every TV in the 7000 range rather than a random batch, as nobody on here or other forums has reported the same fault with other Samsung ranges. If so, that points to shocking quality control. 

If Samsung are taking action by authorising new boards, that is indeed a positive and an acknowledgment that the issue is real. If the new board doesn't work then they'd have no option but to replace the TV.

I wondered how big a job it was to replace the main board and found a video on YouTube showing how to do it for a modern Samsung 55". It's actually very simple. Once the back of the TV is removed the board is very accessible and there are around six connections and four securing screws to deal with, so it should be done well within half an hour.

mdazza
Pioneer
Options

I've had my NU7400 for less than two weeks and have just noticed this issue. Am I better off going directly to Samsung or to the retailer (Richer Sounds in my case)?

0 Likes
ArtofMotion
Pioneer
Options

Hi Mdazza

To advise - your rights are with the retailer not with Samsung. They may try transferring you to Samsung, but really its RS that should deal with it.

Secondly, you have 30 days to use your product and return it (damage free), no questions asked for a refund or different model. Hope this helps! 

0 Likes