Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 26-04-2018 11:19 AM)
Motta33
Journeyman
Options
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

327 REPLIES 327
TW4T50N
Apprentice
Options

Just bought 75NU7100 and spent hours rewiring the receiver and TV in excitement. I thought I was going stir crazy; checked all ports were correct, gone through every menu option on both my Pioneer VSX-930 and the TV and couldn't find anything!

Did a few Google searches of enabling ARC etc in case I was being stupid, then stumbled across this unfortunate thread of disappointment. Gutted that my outgoing Samsung had no issues to be replaced with this massive headache. Hard reseting the TV and receiver do nothing, although I can clearly see the TV trying to connect to the receiver with the blue loading circle (as my outgoing TV did).

Is the optical solution the only real permanent solution to this problem? No direction from Samung at all? Not looking forward to pulling all this back out and having to redo the wiring once again...

Edit: in the meantime, optical cable on order to at least get 5.1 back from the TV. I can at least still use Dolby Atmos from my Xbox One X to the receiver and video out to the TV.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TW4T50N wrote:

Just bought 75NU7100 and spent hours rewiring the receiver and TV in excitement. I thought I was going stir crazy; checked all ports were correct, gone through every menu option on both my Pioneer VSX-930 and the TV and couldn't find anything!

Did a few Google searches of enabling ARC etc in case I was being stupid, then stumbled across this unfortunate thread of disappointment. Gutted that my outgoing Samsung had no issues to be replaced with this massive headache. Hard reseting the TV and receiver do nothing, although I can clearly see the TV trying to connect to the receiver with the blue loading circle (as my outgoing TV did).

Is the optical solution the only real permanent solution to this problem? No direction from Samung at all? Not looking forward to pulling all this back out and having to redo the wiring once again...

Edit: in the meantime, optical cable on order to at least get 5.1 back from the TV. I can at least still use Dolby Atmos from my Xbox One X to the receiver and video out to the TV.

Problem with optical is it is only 5.1 Dolby digital,  a and DTS,  not Dolby digital+ or 7.1, and can pass through Atmos. That is why you need the arc to work and if it does not,  it could be a faulty tv. 

TW4T50N
Apprentice
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@TW4T50N wrote:

Problem with optical is it is only 5.1 Dolby digital,  a and DTS,  not Dolby digital+ or 7.1, and can pass through Atmos. That is why you need the arc to work and if it does not,  it could be a faulty tv. 

5.1 from TV to receiver is fine as I won't be watching anything that outputs more than that directly from TV.

My logic was to use the Xbox One X to output 4K Atmos content to the receiver for decoding as 5.2.2, utilising the 4K pass-through to play video output on the TV through the standard HDMI input on the TV (supports HDCP 2.2 at both ends).

I may have gotten my understanding of how the Atmos and pass-through work wrong? (I hope not as I'm out of options then). 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TW4T50N wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@TW4T50N wrote:

5.1 from TV to receiver is fine as I won't be watching anything that outputs more than that directly from TV.

My logic was to use the Xbox One X to output 4K Atmos content to the receiver for decoding as 5.2.2, utilising the 4K pass-through to play video output on the TV through the standard HDMI input on the TV (supports HDCP 2.2 at both ends).

I may have gotten my understanding of how the Atmos and pass-through work wrong? (I hope not as I'm out of options then). 

Yep that will work and the Xbox will pass through atmos from Netflix.  

I would think about if you have a faulty arc and if so it is worth getting it sorted. 

TW4T50N
Apprentice
Options
Completely forgot about the 4K content on Prime and Netflix. Will use the Xbox apps instead of TV ones.

It's a good point, taking the issue at face value as being the same as everyone here rather than considering actually being faulty! See what they say on Monday I suppose!
john022662
Pioneer
Options

Hi TW4T50N,

My advice is to either take the Samsung TV back and get a Visio or LG or use the solution I have written about in a few earlier posts. Essentially, I do not rely on the TV to do anything but display a picture (and provide sound  when the AVR is off and passing sound through). This requires using something like a Roku for all your Smart TV Functions. Your XBox1 may be just right.

To reduce the complexity and get all and then some of the CEC capability, I use a Caavo Control Center (universal remote on steroids). I have all my devices plugged into the Caavo, the Caavo pluggend into the AVR, and then the AVR picture sent to the TV. Works perfect and I get all the Dolby Atmos sound I want, great picture, all the apps I want, and a really easy to use interface.

Hope this helps. To the best of my knowledge, the ARC and CEC issue remains.

Best Wishes,

John

nicheplayer
Apprentice
Options

@AmericanOppa wrote:

I believe you find that you only need to remove the AC power to both your TV and Onkyo for about 30 seconds to do the job. No need to disconnect your HDMI cables.  After you plug your units back in, you will need to power up both your receiver and TV seperatly. 

This is the process I've been using for the past couple weeks after setting up a new Onkyo NR585 and Samsung QN49Q6F. It's a real bummer. Guess it's time to go write that Amazon review for the TV....

john022662
Pioneer
Options

I agree nicheplayer... I would use the "power off method" and install an internet enabled smart switch (like GE for Smartthings). However, I really could not rely on the ARC/CEC working for more than 10-15 minutes (longest it worked was 5 days) and then having one of my family members try to use the system, or using the system when it went south. I have older teenagers and they think they can fix anything so when it went south, they changed everything trying to make it work and it just got worse.

Since I have stopped trying to have any functionality from the ARC/CEC, the system has not skipped a beat. However, I did need to spend an extra $100 for the solution. And yes..... Samsung has many review sent in by me that give them the lowest score possible for their QLED TV's (with exception of an amazing picture).

Nothappyhere
Apprentice
Options

Yup, powering them both down temporarily fixes mine as well, what a real. PITA....

Nothappyhere
Apprentice
Options

It isn't only the QLED'S that have the issue, my mu8500 does this as well.  I was dumb enough to buy 2 Samsungs thinking the first one was a fluke.