Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Amazon app won't stream in 4k on both my Samsung tvs

(Topic created on: 08-04-2018 12:38 PM)
Lilmosquito
First Poster
Options

I can stream uhd from other sources, internet speed is fine, but amazon only streams in 1080.  The app doesn't show the uhd content list anymore either...help! I've endlessly searched the web and im getting nowhere..Samsung help and amazon havent been much help either....any ideas?

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TheDarkOne
Journeyman
Options

I figured it out!

The problem isn't with the TV, or the internet connection, it is how Amazon Prime video is set up. They don't make it easy to find UHD content, and every title that is UHD has a 1080p counterpart as a separate video.  so when you think you're clicking on a UHD video, most likely you are clicking on the 1080p version and that's why it is not playing in UHD.

The easiest way I have found to consistently find UHD content is to first go to the following URL via a web browser, then add whatever things you want to watch to your watchlist which you can then easily access via your streaming app on your television.

https://www.amazon.com/video/uhd

Hope this helps!

View solution in context

15 REPLIES 15
Phil12
Voyager
Options

Hi

I've noticed the same on my Q7F TV, it did work with 4K and HDR on Amazon Prime , the next time I tried no 4K offered, and if I searched for 4K footage it only played in 1080P.  As Prime was expiring anyway I didn't worry too much about it.

It's going to be the case of just another thing Samsung have broken in a firmware update where they never tell you what's changed anyway so it migth be by design, and will probably never fix.

If we get Prime again and it's still not working it will be a good enough reason to get a refund on the TV and buy something else that works without lots of bugs.

Regards

Phil

0 Likes
SilverSurfer50
First Poster
Options

Same issue here with no real answer or response so far from anyone. Prime app 4K works and shows on my phone but not my TV. After forking out for a 9 series SUHD and prime who is responsible? You cannot update the app as I can see, so surly this sits with Samsung? Could this qualifie for a refund either from Amazon on there prime subscription or Samsung as service not providing as advertised. Any further help or comments would be much appreciated. 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@SilverSurfer50 wrote:

Same issue here with no real answer or response so far from anyone. Prime app 4K works and shows on my phone but not my TV. After forking out for a 9 series SUHD and prime who is responsible? You cannot update the app as I can see, so surly this sits with Samsung? Could this qualifie for a refund either from Amazon on there prime subscription or Samsung as service not providing as advertised. Any further help or comments would be much appreciated. 

Hi @SilverSurfer50, Have you checked you have the latest firmware for your 9 Series on the Samsung Support page, if so and issues does resetting Smart Hub make no difference?  Some troubleshooting advice from Amazon here https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=atv_hp_nd_cnt?nodeId=202065230    If not resolved certainly worthwhile contacting Amazon/Samsung for investigation.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
TheDarkOne
Journeyman
Options

I just bought a 65" QLED Q6FN and am having issues consistently streaming 4k HDR UHD content as well. The thing that is aggrevating is sometimes it comes through, then sometimes it jumps back to HD 1080P with no explaination. The internet connection speed seems more than adequate every time I've tested it, so I'm really at a loss. Has anyone had any luck trouble shooting this? 

KDgamer
Explorer
Options
Same issue here. Picked up a 55" Q6FN yesterday and 4K HDR works fine on Network but only 1080p on Prime. Searching google shows this same issue crop up over different brands of devices so I'm going to guess it's an Amazon issue rather than Samsung.
Solution
TheDarkOne
Journeyman
Options

I figured it out!

The problem isn't with the TV, or the internet connection, it is how Amazon Prime video is set up. They don't make it easy to find UHD content, and every title that is UHD has a 1080p counterpart as a separate video.  so when you think you're clicking on a UHD video, most likely you are clicking on the 1080p version and that's why it is not playing in UHD.

The easiest way I have found to consistently find UHD content is to first go to the following URL via a web browser, then add whatever things you want to watch to your watchlist which you can then easily access via your streaming app on your television.

https://www.amazon.com/video/uhd

Hope this helps!

KDgamer
Explorer
Options

TheDarkOne that done it for now too. Amazon have such a *****ty app. They need to take some notes from Netflix. Recreated my watch list after reading this last night. Thanks!

TheDarkOne
Journeyman
Options

I'm glad that helped, and you are welcome.

Yeah, it's almost as if they want people to watch 1080p to avoid bandwidth issues or something, because this seems like an issue that should be well known and easily fixed.

0 Likes
James1982hpool
Student
Options

Even when I select the ultra hd stream it still only outputs 1080p consistently. Netflix and the new bbc iplayer trial don’t have this issue so why does amazon. It’s really poor.