Support

Open search

WiFi connection issue following update on Samsung Galaxy J5

Highlighted
First Poster

Hello

A few weeks ago there was a mandatory Samsung update on my Samsung Glaxy J5. I believe the Operating System was Lollipop 5.0 and has updated to Marshmallow 6.0.1.

Since this update I have problems with my Wi-Fi at home. It connects and works for things liks WhatsApp conversations but for anything that requires large data such as accessing Google Play, uploading a photo to Instagram or browsing the internet, the connection either times out or it just keeps loading and never getting anywhere.

I can access WiFi elsewhere with no problems, it's just my home WiFi. However, other devices at home have no difficulties with WiFi connection.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Does anyone know how to "downgrade" back to Lollipop?

Any other suggestion please?

Many thanks

9 REPLIES
AntS Moderator

Hello helenlimbrick! :smileyhappy:

Have you tried resetting your home router?

Plus, is your J5 in Power Saving Mode? If so, it may be that which is affecting data streaming here. See if adjusting the app optimisation has any effect:  Apps > Settings > Battery > Battery Usage > More > Optimise Battery Usage. Then click Apps Not Optimised/All Apps. Select All Apps and disable optimisation for the apps you want to keep the data fully running on.

Prince_Community_Sig03.jpg

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

First Poster

Thanks for the tips. I have tried both these things with no success :(

Do you know if there's a way to "downgrade" back to original operating system, in case that was the cause?

Thank you.

First Poster

@helenlimbrick wrote:

Thanks for the tips. I have tried both these things with no success :(

Do you know if there's a way to "downgrade" back to original operating system, in case that was the cause?

Thank you.

KellyM Moderator

We're afraid it's not possible to revert to an older version of software. Have you tried clearing the cache of your phone? Can you also try forgetting and then re-adding the network?

Please also ensure that all of your applications are up to date. Go to: Play Store > Three horizontal lines > My Apps and Games > Update All. To update your Galaxy Apps, go to: Galaxy Apps > More > My Apps > Update > Update All.

I'm having same problem with my J5. I can connect to Wi-Fi but drops the connection straight after since last update.

I'm facing the same problem. The 6.0.1 Firmware is very stable with great battery life. But the wifi speed sucks I don't know what's causing this. However if I install a custom rom or even the stock 5.1.1 the speed is back! 

First Poster

I tried stting my wifi router is ok cz working fine in others mobile... only my mobile is showing a (!) Mark with wifi signal on top.. and showing internet may not be available.. and tried off data saving still no results ... although internet working sometimes but not last long... plzzzz need a solution.. cz i tried restarting my mobile and my mobile wifi is ok cz tried with other router..

Same problem here. After latest update of my j5 2017, a few days ago, i dont have a proper connection to my wifi nettwork. I have connection to the internet, but i can not use download from google play. When i go to my wifi network, i read the folowing mesage: cheking quality of internet connection. 

I'm having exactly the same problem but only since I switched ISP provider to Virgin Media, but only on the Galaxy J5 phone, I have better Samsung phone for work and it is fine.  The J5 wifi keeps disconnecting and returns random errors each time, like Authentication error occurred, etc. then I click again, it connects, so the Authentication error was a joke and then it disconnects again and back to square one. 

Any ideas, or should I switch to an iphone?

Nobody from Samsung seems to have a clue here.

Top Liked Authors