Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 03-01-2019 06:19 AM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
TechnoSpaz
Journeyman
Options

This is still pretty much hit or miss. Some days it uploads immediately, most days I save the GPX file just in case. I rode yesterday at noon, and it updated Strava at 10:30 PM.

The new Strava app is a great first step, but it lacks so much still compared. Maybe version 1.5/2.0 will actually have features like auto-pause, pacing and record a hike (currently just bike, run and walk).

0 Likes
Lerm
Explorer
Options

Yup. I've just did my Frontier, not looking back. Wear OS is leagues ahead unfortunately

0 Likes
Jethro77
Journeyman
Options

Um, no it's not. There's not a single Wear OS device that has all the capabilities of the Galaxy Watch.

Is it perfect, no sir, but overall it sure is bloody impressive...

0 Likes
Lerm
Explorer
Options

You were correct, 2 years ago. Nowadays there are other options, none of which are crippled by Tizen.

0 Likes
Jethro77
Journeyman
Options

Still correct now, not a single oustanding Wear OS device (hw_wise, but also hw+sw synergy_wise) to make it worth the jump, & the apps/services ecosystem is still a wasteland there too, esp. compared to iOS.

0 Likes
Lerm
Explorer
Options

Well put it this way, Strava & Nike Run both have a wear OS app. So they win in this thread straight out of the gate.

Wear OS has plenty of apps nowadays, I suggest you update your research...

0 Likes
Jethro77
Journeyman
Options

I have & use a Wear OS device, I have & use a Tizen one, no need to update my research. Nike is shiza, no thanks. The Strava app on Wear OS is no better than the Tizen one, utter shiza. I suggest you stick to the topic of the thread (Strava sync issues with SHealth), rather than talking about how people should make the jump to Wear OS. People can & will make the jump one direction or the other based on their wants/needs, no need for an "expert on the internet" to be telling folks what to do.

0 Likes
Lerm
Explorer
Options
This is the topic of the thread. Like many, I've been waiting over a year for official native Strava app support OR native integration with SHealth for my Tizen watch. It never came, and neither did any support for those struggling. Threads were abandoned by equally confused moderators because they couldn't answer the question. We were ignored. Therefore, I've chosen to vote with my wallet and go with WearOS (ie the option Samsung should use if they were fussed about user experience instead of competition).

If you truly do have a Wear OS device, you would know right now it's got vastly better support, stability and a much, much bigger selection of apps and wouldn't need to lie about that to try and defend your favourite company...
0 Likes
Jethro77
Journeyman
Options

"This is the topic of the thread..."

Ah no it's not, the topic is SHealth to Strava sync issues. That's it.

"...you would know right now it's got vastly better support, stability and a much, much bigger selection of apps..."

This has not been my experience, at all. Is app/service support better, yes, but the difference is not huge, & hw-wise; all the devices on the platform are utterly medicore. Stability is not better, no sir. Plus the synergy of the hw to the OS/sw & companion sw on the phone, isn't nearly as well done.

So this Strava app that's superior on Wear OS, in what ways is it heaps better, cause from where I'm standing I can't see it. Actually don't answer that, that continues the digression you/I have going here (which I'm sure mods will mop up soon enough), I am curious though, so if you have the time,  I'd be most grateful if you could shoot me a PM outlining that.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

We’re totally cool with you guys debating the pros and cons of different wearable OS’s… but it might be best to create a separate thread for it.

As for the thread’s original topic, I think info like which Samsung Health and Strava versions you're using, along with which devices - and even which country you're based in, is useful for everyone.

I’ve also asked our software team for further advice/investigation as to why version 6 of Samsung Health may not have resolved this for some of you. (There was an update to version 6.1.0.047 of Samsung Health  for Android on the 3rd December 2018, in case some folks were unaware.)

0 Likes