Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something is rapidly draining the battery of my Gear S3 Frontier

(Topic created on: 06-01-2019 05:21 AM)
RedWolf
Apprentice
Options

Dear All, 

When I first got my Gear S3 Frontier, I was very happy with the watch.  A charge of the battery used to last me at least three days, and that was fine by me.  Then suddenly, the battery started being completely drained within about 10 hours.  

I thought that probably I have a power-hungry app installed, did a reset, install only trusted apps I have been using for a long time, and everything seemed fine again, battery lasts three days.  I thought at the time that the issue had been resolved. 

However, a few days later, the same thing happens again... and again... and again...  ever more frequently...  it seems to happen particularly after episodes of the watch having lost BlueTooth Connection to the phone, e.g. because of having been in airplane mode -- I travel a lot.  On a side note, I also have the BlueTooth reconnection issue that is being dealt with in a different thread, and may or may not be related. 

I have had the S3 Frontier now for about 7 months, and it has now become virtually impossible to use it for a full day.  Even resets no longer resolve the issue.  I have done a reset and not installed *any* apps, and yet the battery lasted only 10 hours(ish), so it's not just one dodgy app... 

Anyone any ideas...?

82 REPLIES 82
PRSSD
Journeyman
Options

Tried the plugin, didn't help, even reset the watch and re-added it. Battery drains at the rate of about 6%-6.5% an hour, and that is with no apps, default faces, gestures turned off, no notifications (all turned off) etc.

I used to use their phones, and typically have loved their products, but this is really leaving a bad taste, so much so I bought a non-Samsung phone last month and have my doubts I will go back to them. 

Going to try the warranty route to see if they can do something with it, even in stand-alone mode the battery has the same issue.

PRSSD
Journeyman
Options

Well, let the battery drain completely. Let it sit for half a day (make sure it is fully drained) then charge it again.

After this, mine is working normally once again, at least for now. 

0 Likes
Beev
Student
Options
It's your battery. Overtime batteries do degrade and depending on how often and when u charge it will also factor into the life of the battery. I'd recommend having an expert install a new one or upgrading your watch. I just got a new frontier s3. Works great! If I still love your watch just get your battery replaced.
DB
0 Likes
Beev
Student
Options
I have the same exact model. It's totally updated and running great!! The difference is that my battery is brand new!! I believe it's a battery issue.
DB
0 Likes
PRSSD
Journeyman
Options

I doubt it is the battery, as I have been getting 4 days per charge now. I feel it is a hardware issue in the charging system that doesn't resolve until there is no juice left in the battery, drains fully and corrects itself due to the drain. Battery would drop even when unit is turned off which means something is pulling power from it while off, and the only thing I can think of that might do that is the charging system that is always active with the battery.

0 Likes
Shazam0527
Journeyman
Options

I think you might be on to something here..  If my watch is put on the stand at night while still having a few % power.  It will eventually give a flashing red light like it's not charging.

If I pick it up, and put it back down on the charger, it starts charging again.  When I take it off the base the next morning it says 100% right away, then flashes and goes to 92% (or so) and only lasts a couple hours.

If I leave it on the charger without resetting it, and it drains and shuts off, the next morning the power is 100% and it lasts all day long.  

There is definitely a pattern here!  Samsung needs to address this!

0 Likes
Wenjae
Apprentice
Options

Same thing happened to us, did a forced update, battery is gone after 2 hours. Only had watch about a year and a half, never been in water, only wear to work. Samsung refuses to fix saying the watch has water damage. Really Samsung?...on a watch that is waterproof, and has NEVER BEEN WET!!

Wenjae
Apprentice
Options

Same thing happened to us, did a forced update, battery is gone after 2 hours. Only had watch about a year and a half, never been in water, only wear to work. Samsung refuses to fix saying the watch has water damage. Really Samsung?...on a watch that is waterproof, and has NEVER BEEN WET!!

0 Likes
Cam1204
First Poster
Options
@ morseman2003, i am in the same picture. very disappointment
0 Likes
Wenjae
Apprentice
Options

Its such bull*****,  I am finding more and more people that are saying the same thing. 

0 Likes