Support

Open search

S8 Rear camera will not focus

Highlighted
SOLVED
Apprentice

I have had this phone since about 2 weeks after launch and the camera has always been brilliant but last night I opened it and its blurry, it looks like its stuck. It'll focus properly on anything about 2-5cm away anything further and its blurry. Pro mode focus does nothing. Front camera still works perfectly.

Software, apps etc all up to date, never been dropped, never been wet, camera is clean with no scratches etc.

Tried reboot, uninstalling latest apps, reset, still there.

I read on a different forum that tapping it on a hard surface works, surely that means it's a hardware problem?

Any advice? Do I try and call up for a repair?

Edit: just tried the *#0*# mega cam test, same blurry result, flash works, white corners went red and I heard 2 beeps when trying to take a photo, not sure if that means it took one or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Superuser I
Superuser I

Yes i think it's most probably time to let a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre take a look at it. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

93 REPLIES 93
Superuser I
Superuser I

Yes i think it's most probably time to let a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre take a look at it. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 9 Model: SM-N960 Dual Hybrid 512Gb_ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

My phone is doing the same 

Rear camera won't focus 

Only had it 3 weeks

MasukaH Moderator
Hey!

Have you tried the Hardware Test? On your key pad, type in *#0*# and select Mega Cam from the grid to see if the issue still appears here. If it does, head over to one of our Support Centres, you can use this link to help locate your nearest one: http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/servicelocation/

samos.png

Apprentice
Yeah, I guess I'll be doing that on my next free day. It's such a shame as the camera is normally fantastic and I can't see any reason for this to suddenly happen.
Explorer

Mine is exactly the same. Had the phone 2 months. Tried *#0*# and it said A/F failure. Cleared the cache from the camera app and deleted data and restarted it. Exactly the same. Have tried a factory reset to no avail. The only way to make it not blurry is by tapping it on top. This clears the blockage on the A/F. Now for a £600+ handset this isnt what you want to hear nor is it something you want to do. Mine is currently on its way to the samsung repair centre. They have warned me that it may be me that has done the damage even through dropping or through liquid damage. It hadnt been dropped nor put in water so neither apply. The forums show it is a common fault with the s8. Im expecting it back in 10 days lets see what happens.....so the only way to fix it is to shake it or send it back or give it the hammer treatment 

Apprentice

This is what I got when I emailed Samsung.

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience that it caused you. Let me go ahead and assist you.

With regards to your concern, please be informed that we are currently working for the fix patch software update that will rectify the issue on your device. This issue has been escalated to our engineers and we will let you informed once the software update has been released."

Utterly useless, I don't know how they can say it's a software bug when the only way to fix it is a physical tap. It's pretty clearly a hardware issue. 

I don't have a spare phone currently that I can use and with 2 jobs barely have any time to try and get it sorted. I'm living with it for now. Luckily I don't really use the camera that much at the moment. 

Explorer

I sent them 2 pictures on twitter. A before shake and after shake picture. And told them what software faults are fixed by shaking ?? Gave me a whole host of other checks which all failed. .. Booked in for repair. 

Explorer

20170928_113759.jpgBefore shake and after shake

Software fault 😂😂😂😂

Explorer

I get my phone back tomorrow just to let you know. Its a faulty electrical component inside. 3 day turnaround aint bad at all. 

Top Liked Authors