Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable battery

(Topic created on: 22-08-2017 05:09 PM)
Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

I have lots of money but refuse to buy a smartphone without a removable battery.

The justifications I've heard border on the ridiculous such as the batteries are non-removable to keep the phone slim. Another ridiculous comeback is the "fast charge" reason. Frankly, there are times when I need to go from 5% battery to 100% in an instant and removable battery is the only way to achieve that end. Having two phones also isnt an option because certain apps cannot have the same user account on more than one phone.

The cynic in me tells me there is a more sinister reason for non-removable batteries, but I'll keep the conspiracy theories for another forum.

Now my Note 4, with its Snapdragon 805, is beggining to slow down. 

The question is, will I be stuck with a Note 4 until the end of time because Samsung force non-removable battery smartphones on us?

Here's an idea, why doesn't Samsung take a poll to see how many of its customers want removable batteries? Or better still, release both removable and non-removable units and see what the market wants.

Is it really about the wants of the market or are people just obedient consumers? I'd like to think there is hope.

And dont tell me about the LG with its removable battery, I'm just not interested.

38 REPLIES 38
Gfoster
Student
Options

Samsung Galaxy S5.   Water proof, slim design not bulky, stop being lazy just plug the phone in to charge it, and oh wait it is very easy to change the battery in

Vdub12
Apprentice
Options

Im still using a note 4 because of the removable battery. I have to replace my batteries every year because they go bad. I will not replace a phone because every year because it doesn't have a removable battery. Also I will not buy another Samsung unless they go back to removable batteries. If I am stuck with non removable batteries then I will get a phone that's at least root friendly. I'm thinking the one+. 

casbat21
Student
Options
In the military we had waterproof radios and they can replace the batteries on those. Built for use in the rain. Now really how hard is it to make a battery compartment that does not have to be waterproofed, but leave the rest of the phone waterproof or shock proof. That is why I have not bought another Samsung note because My note 4 ( I can replace the OEM battery on it easily) and right now has got an extended battery pack on it that is double the life of the original oem battery
casbat21
Student
Options

I had a note 1, then a note 3 ,then a note 4. I love the note series, (but not the ones with no removabable battery. I am hoping the note 10 will have a battery thats removable) I dont care a bout thinness or beveled edges as I put an otter box protective cover over my phone anyway. When I go hiking the ability to carry spare battieries for map purposes and etc is a must. The spare batteries do not take up much space. It takes a minute to change batteries. 

So if Samsung is going to keep going this way, they lost a customer as I will buy elsewhere when my phone dies out. ITs just plain corporate greed in action by selling phones with no removable battery.

0 Likes
AL50
Journeyman
Options

i still use NOTE 4 Not only that I bought few new ones for standby just incase  but still on same first phone. never disappointed me so far. its almost perfect phone . slim .good design and its battery replaceable means can carry multiple battery charges at once and carry it.  remove them at will .

I think samsung def. need to bring back this feature or min cartridge type release mech like hand guns. through limited slit like opening etc.  may be many creative way to address this. Note 9 already has fire on battery . only way when phone gets too hot is to watch them burn. you just dont have enough time to  unscrew dissect the phone and remove the battery . Note 4 takes second to dump out hot battery and  save the phone.  I have already done once from defective battery.

Icecream
Apprentice
Options

It's nice to know Samsung has made xcover pro with removable battery this year.

However I really hope they make Note 4 2020 version or any mid range A series phones with removable battery.

Imagine if Samsung made like a note 4 / Alpha 2020 version.

It's annoying how  excuse is water proof/ slimmer phones. When we know the S5 is waterproof, and the new xcover pro is water proof.

I am not bothered with waterproof phones, or even wireless charging.

I just want a good mid range / flag spec phone like a note 4 updated version with removable battery. Just needed to have a good camera with latest software. 

0 Likes
AL50
Journeyman
Options

wow thanks for update on that news. I am all in for that XcoverPro. 64GB 22.5MP. at f1.7 battery door access. what else do you need. I am buying few of those in time. that is the answer to our prayers. at $499 dollars. I guess they listen move the market fast. smart way to do it. look bit like NOTE 4 Thin.

NOTE 4 is prob the last of its kind. but I still use them  & have several  back up.  I hear people having blackouts , sudden shuts offs. battery drain all those after Upgrade to OS 6. (samsung call it battery efficency I say really? )  many opt NOT to upgrade the OS to 6.0 keep them in OS 5.  seem to work better. (try  that)

As per the battery it makes no sense samsung charges over 1700 a phone (that is insane amount of money for middle class for example) to obtain  not to mention burden of lock up 3 years of payment. (this is to prevent people defect to other brand)  about the battery access, they can easily make the battery access (like Gun cartridge with smaller access area) then entire back plate if they prefer not to open up entirely,  although I prefer the entire back plate open so that memory and all other can be accessed. its very convenient carry a ready charged batteries in hand for swap esp during travel. (several, in case) like  myself many just dont give up on  that phone.

One of the best feature of samsung NOTE 4 is in its camera. NOTE 4 came with 16MP camera very bright lense takes gret photos all other cam following it all came with 12 MPs. so I buy them keep it for as camera itself. Hope they release upgrade version of the NOTE 4 . slim nice design.  SAMSUNG LEAVE THE BACK COVER ACCESSABLE. DONT BE GREEDY. I say. :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Icecream
Apprentice
Options

Because they haven't had many options I have even been looking at other brands.

Example moto e6 plus has removable battery and if you compare it to Samsung A50 it's very similar when it comes to specs. 

I also like what LG has done with all metal phone, it let's you open the back with removable battery it sorts of reminds me of an old metal Nokia.

0 Likes
Icecream
Apprentice
Options
0 Likes